Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumour of free premium for leases cars ending

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Premium disappeared around lunchtime yesterday and at the same time I received an(other) email from Tesla saying that it was no more. Having said that, Spotify still seems to be working this morning even though the satellite maps and remote cams have gone.
Not sure if it’s worth paying for or not yet, time will tell.

Keep sharing the love Tesla, your customer centric behaviour just gets better and better. Time to choose my next lease car very soon….
Opening up superchargers, charging to use standard features on your car (satnav). Certainly making a slam dunk decision one I’ll think hard before signing for another 3 years
well, no. Sat nav is still free. only the sat view is via premium connectivity.

you can also use phone's hot spot to mitigate that as well.

is it just me or is the map now not updating whilst driving?
What i mean is the arrow goes off the screen unless you manually move the screen. Wasn't happening last week but was this morning. Also it wouldnt point in direction of travel.
anyone else seen this since premium was cut off?

Can in just check. Do you have to manually turn on WiFi to use a hotspot each time you put the car in drive?

If so, is there a shortcut rather than finding the tiny icon in the corner?
Have you checked the "remain connected" option in wifi settings for your phone/hotspot device?

To use "Remain Connected While in Drive," tap on the WiFi icon and go to WiFi Settings. Choose the WiFi network you'd like to remain connected to while in drive. Then turn on the 'Remain Connected in Drive' option.
With that connected, and no premium connectivity, as long as your hotspot is always on, or on when you wake the car, it should automatically pick up the hotspot and connect to it as a remembered network.

Reactions: NewbieT and Jeeves
Am I right in thinking that on an iPhone you can’t leave the hotspot permanently on and you have to activate it each time?
The wireless hotspot is only discoverable when you are actually on the Personal Hotspot screen on the iPhone. If you are on the home screen, or somewhere else, it is not broadcast so the car can't see it to connect to it.

Basically, you have to navigate to the Personal Hotspot screen on your phone, then click on the car icon and then the wireless icon, and connect to the now visible iPhone wireless network. You might not have to actually do anything other than the first step if you are not in range of any other wireless signal.

The wireless hotspot is only discoverable when you are actually on the Personal Hotspot screen on the iPhone. If you are on the home screen, or somewhere else, it is not broadcast so the car can't see it to connect to it.

Basically, you have to navigate to the Personal Hotspot screen on your phone, then click on the car icon and then the wireless icon, and connect to the now visible iPhone wireless network. You might not have to actually do anything other than the first step if you are not in range of any other wireless signal.
Just to add, that you can long touch the WiFi icon in Control Centre to get an icon that will toggle the Personal Hotspot.

I've never needed to use the Personal Hotspot whilst driving. Does the car stay connected for hours?

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
I only use it to stream TIDAL in HiFi quality (which is amazing). I have Premium Connectivity otherwise, so get the satellite maps, traffic congestion, etc.

In my experience it stays connected (to the phone) indefinitely. I would say, however, that when it is in use I think the wireless charger can only just keep up with the added demand. I have noticed my phone is warmer when the car is using it for data, and it doesn't charge as fast on the pad.

EDIT: Thanks for that long touch suggestion, I'll have to try and remember that one :)

I only use it to stream TIDAL in HiFi quality (which is amazing). I have Premium Connectivity otherwise, so get the satellite maps, traffic congestion, etc.

In my experience it stays connected (to the phone) indefinitely. I would say, however, that when it is in use I think the wireless charger can only just keep up with the added demand. I have noticed my phone is warmer when the car is using it for data, and it doesn't charge as fast on the pad.
Thanks, I'd expect the battery drain and heat.

Be really interested to hear from any Leaseplan customers on queries about the Premium Connectivity.

Car is connected to the phone wirelessly (hotspot). The car sees that it's on wireless and that is enough for TIDAL to stream in "HIFi" quality, which is a lot higher bitrate & better SQ than standard.

In purely audiophile terms it is probably nothing to shout about, but to my ears it is night and day better than Spotify over LTE (or wireless). It is a big enough difference to make me inclined to hotspot my phone every time I get in the car, even though I already have Premium Connectivity and thus don't need to.

Incidentally, there is no way that I know of to share the internet connection over Bluetooth (like a Mac would). It's all done over wireless. The phone broadcasts a wireless signal, the car connects to it and is none the wiser that it is not a static network and is unreliable. The wireless connection to the phone will be rock solid, but the phone's mobile connection that it uses to actually get data will be variable as you'd expect.

Reactions: NSS89 and Jeeves
Car is connected to the phone wirelessly (hotspot). The car sees that it's on wireless and that is enough for TIDAL to stream in "HIFi" quality, which is a lot higher bitrate & better SQ than standard.

In purely audiophile terms it is probably nothing to shout about, but to my ears it is night and day better than Spotify over LTE (or wireless). It is a big enough difference to make me inclined to hotspot my phone every time I get in the car, even though I already have Premium Connectivity and thus don't need to.

Incidentally, there is no way that I know of to share the internet connection over Bluetooth (like a Mac would). It's all done over wireless. The phone broadcasts a wireless signal, the car connects to it and is none the wiser that it is not a static network and is unreliable. The wireless connection to the phone will be rock solid, but the phone's mobile connection that it uses to actually get data will be variable as you'd expect.
Ah yeah thanks. I'm being a bit dim and equating normal phone connectivity with the hotspot stuff we've been discussing. Sorry. In any case, I'm going off-topic.

I'd expect to notice a jump from the compressed Spotify streams based on what others have said on non-Tesla forums about it.

I stream Apple Music instead anyway. I don't notice much of a jump from Apple's compressed format to Lossless even on my expensive Hi-Fi equipment, but I'll try it in the car to see. I hear no difference at all from resolutions above 16-bit/44.1 kHz (CD). Where I do notice a difference is with Dolby Atmos where the track has been remastered to exploit it. Would be interesting to hear some of those tracks in a Tesla.

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned. Spoke with Tesla yesterday they confirmed that premium connectivity was free until yesterday for all lease cars because there was not way to bill that. They have now figured out how to do the billing from the app. I asked if there was any notification and they said an email was send out about a month ago. I only got my car in March so couldn't argue that statement but I do question it. Under upgrades in the app you can now subscribe to Premium.

I asked if there was any notification and they said an email was send out about a month ago. I only got my car in March so couldn't argue that statement but I do question it. Under upgrades in the app you can now subscribe to Premium.
From a Tesla point of view, each vehicle comes with 1 month premium connectivity, essentially a trial, which would have been the specification of the vehicle when you ordered it. So if you got your vehicle in March you have had more than the 1 month you are entitled to.

Now if your lease company stated to that you would have premium connectivity for the duration of the lease then they need to resolve that for you by paying Tesla. Most lease companies wouldn't have explicitly stated premium connectivity was included in your monthly charge.

My 2.5 years of "Unlimited" Premium Connectivity ended the other day and became "Limited"

I have now setup my Tasker app to automatically turn on my phone Hotspot when i get into the car. Turns off when i get out :)

Black and white Maps i can live with.

May the 4th be with you