Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Run flat tires for 19 inch standard rim

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't believe any of the tire manufacturers are currently producing run flat tires that meet the minimum tire load rating 104 (1984 lbs) required for the Model Y's tires on 19" wheels. The load rating for tires for the Model Y on 20" wheels is lower at 101 (1819 lbs). You may want to contact TireRack, speak with someone knowledgeable about run flat tires. They may have information on new products that are coming into the tire market.

Like the OP, here in TX, roadside assurance of any kind isn't comforting. Runflats? Yikes, the Y suspension is already rock hard, can't imagine it with runflats.
ModernSpare seems to be the only solution at the moment. I've been investigating the Vredestein (deflated tire) option, but can't find one to fit the Tesla hub/lug dimensions. IF that works, it might buy some more space...stored vertically in the shallow hatch (front) well, might not extend visually above the seat back.

OP: You're not alone, looking at spare tire options.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
You might also look into the Tesla tire patch/inflation kit. It'll kill your TPMS and might be "costly" if you end up using it... but apparently it should be able to hand things like a nail or screw to the tire... just sidewall issues, blowouts, etc would still screw you over...

acarney: "...It'll kill your TPMS..." In my experience with a Nissan Leaf (Continental water based sealant) it did NOT kill the TPMS. If handled properly, it shouldn't be a problem.

I've purchased the Tesla sealant/inflator kit, and a plug kit. I hope I never need to use them! Hopefully my 19" Continental ProContact tires won't have a blowout!!!

acarney: "...It'll kill your TPMS..." In my experience with a Nissan Leaf (Continental water based sealant) it did NOT kill the TPMS. If handled properly, it shouldn't be a problem.

I've purchased the Tesla sealant/inflator kit, and a plug kit. I hope I never need to use them! Hopefully my 19" Continental ProContact tires won't have a blowout!!!

Was just passing along what Tesla states. I actually can’t see how it won’t mess up the sensor though when you dump a bunch of goop into the tire..

Like the OP, here in TX, roadside assurance of any kind isn't comforting. Runflats? Yikes, the Y suspension is already rock hard, can't imagine it with runflats.
ModernSpare seems to be the only solution at the moment. I've been investigating the Vredestein (deflated tire) option, but can't find one to fit the Tesla hub/lug dimensions. IF that works, it might buy some more space...stored vertically in the shallow hatch (front) well, might not extend visually above the seat back.

OP: You're not alone, looking at spare tire options.

How come it isn't comforting in Texas? Curious.

My question is what if you're in an area without cell phone service? Who do you call then?

My question is what if you're in an area without cell phone service? Who do you call then?

Toss the ModernSpare on then... or try using the sealant kit first, then ModernSpare. Both more hassle than run flats of course, but if it's very infrequent (a couple times a year family travel or something) it might be a better trade off than harsher run flats that are usually more expensive and often can't be patched. If it's an every day type thing, or you're someone that doesn't feel comfortable/just can't change the wheel than run flats totally would be the likely option to look for...

Are you joking? Your second sentence answered your question. There are still many areas w/o cell service, and even WITH cell service, roadside assurance could take hours (there's a reason there are dried up cattle carcasses shown in old western movies, filmed in West Texas.)

All good advice here.

Toss the ModernSpare on then... or try using the sealant kit first, then ModernSpare. Both more hassle than run flats of course, but if it's very infrequent (a couple times a year family travel or something) it might be a better trade off than harsher run flats that are usually more expensive and often can't be patched. If it's an every day type thing, or you're someone that doesn't feel comfortable/just can't change the wheel than run flats totally would be the likely option to look for...

Do you have the modernspare and/or sealant kit? I have the kit but didn't buy the modernspare yet.

Are you joking? Your second sentence answered your question. There are still many areas w/o cell service, and even WITH cell service, roadside assurance could take hours (there's a reason there are dried up cattle carcasses shown in old western movies, filmed in West Texas.)

All good advice here.

Lol, unfortunately, I wasn't joking. Haven't been to Texas and not sure how bad cell service is there. That was literally my issue with just relying on roadside service. Totally understand, that sucks!

Do you have the modernspare and/or sealant kit? I have the kit but didn't buy the modernspare yet.

Lol, unfortunately, I wasn't joking. Haven't been to Texas and not sure how bad cell service is there. That was literally my issue with just relying on roadside service. Totally understand, that sucks!
I don’t, I only got a handful of trips in my Model 3 before COVID hit and those were on well traveled interstates and into the city. Then I trade in and only have had my Model Y since October... with only 700 miles on it since then. I figure I’ll get a ModernSpare in the fall or next spring, especially since the Y is a long range and could more easily do routes out to state/national parks, the coast, etc.

You should totally get RFTs. I have them on my Q7 and they have saved me twice. Try the Bridgestone Driveguard or Michelin Primacy 19 inch RFS. You will need a new set of wheels, likely 19 x 8.5 or 19 x 9 inch. I verified with Tirerack sales rep and these will fit. Modern RFT technology has improved quite a bit and they come standard on Audi SUV and most BMW Suv. Go for it!

I would skip the runflats... My Infinti had Dunlop runflats as OEM, which is the same runflat that BMW uses... Those things are not only heavy AF, they are susceptible to sidewall blowouts.. I was going maybe 10mph when I hit an improperly installed construction plate.... I had a blowout on the sidewall where the bead ruptured.... When I looked online, this was a common complaint with runflat tires on the BMW and Infiniti boards... The guy at Discount Tire even said that runflats tend to do that because the sidwalls are so stiff compared to non-runflats.... For the price of ONE runflat, I was able to get all 4 tires replaced with DWS-06. Havent' had any issues since....

I got rid of the runflats, and just keep a plug kit in the car, with an air compressor.

You might also look into the Tesla tire patch/inflation kit. It'll kill your TPMS and might be "costly" if you end up using it... but apparently it should be able to hand things like a nail or screw to the tire... just sidewall issues, blowouts, etc would still screw you over...
In my experience, the price of a non-runflat plus a new TPMS is still cheaper then an OEM runflat tire.... In my case, I just looked at TireRack... The OEM Dunlop Runflats for my other car, are $507.99 each, and the non runflat Conti DWS-06 Plus that I replaced them with are $200 each. New TPMS sensors are < $99

Reactions: Gadget63
I had runflats on my BMW 328i and X1 and they were great. Saved me several times on both cars. Very convenient and much easier than putting on a spare or using a patch kit or fix a flat. Personally I never had a problem with harshness or anything like that. Overall if there were some good all season run flats for the Model Y I would buy them in a heartbeat. I checked tirerack and it looks like there are no runflats for the 19" wheels but there are for the 20" but unfortunately it's a very expensive summer performance tire.

I had runflats on my BMW 328i and X1 and they were great. Saved me several times on both cars.
How many times is several times? I only ask, because I have the same OEM Dunlop runflats that came on my car, that come on most BMWs. Those runflats are well known on the BMW boards for suffering blowouts in scenarios where non-runflats would not have suffered a blowout. There was even a survey, where they found the average number of flats per miles driven was much higher on the runflats then with non runflats on the same vehicles.

When I first got my car, I joked with my coworker, that I didn't mind not having a spare, because I have never been stranded by a flat tire in 30+ years of driving... It was just 2 days later that I had a sidewall blowout (ruptured bead) on my OEM Dunlop Runflats.. I'm 99% sure I would not have had a blowout if I was running non-runflats in this situation.... So while it was convenient that I could drive to Discount Tire after I had this blowout with no worries... But in reality, I'm pretty sure if I wasn't running runflats, I wouldn't have had a flat in this situation.... And like I said... Those OEM runflats... Not only were they > $500 a piece, they were a special order tire, and the soonest they could get a new one, was almost 2 weeks at the time. I ended up just replacing all 4 tires with non runflats.