Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Run flat tires for 19 inch standard rim

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many times is several times? I only ask, because I have the same OEM Dunlop runflats that came on my car, that come on most BMWs. Those runflats are well known on the BMW boards for suffering blowouts in scenarios where non-runflats would not have suffered a blowout. There was even a survey, where they found the average number of flats per miles driven was much higher on the runflats then with non runflats on the same vehicles.

When I first got my car, I joked with my coworker, that I didn't mind not having a spare, because I have never been stranded by a flat tire in 30+ years of driving... It was just 2 days later that I had a sidewall blowout (ruptured bead) on my OEM Dunlop Runflats.. I'm 99% sure I would not have had a blowout if I was running non-runflats in this situation.... So while it was convenient that I could drive to Discount Tire after I had this blowout with no worries... But in reality, I'm pretty sure if I wasn't running runflats, I wouldn't have had a flat in this situation.... And like I said... Those OEM runflats... Not only were they > $500 a piece, they were a special order tire, and the soonest they could get a new one, was almost 2 weeks at the time. I ended up just replacing all 4 tires with non runflats.

I had the 17" wheels on my 328i and the tires were relatively cheap. I think I got 2 or 3 flats over the 4 years I owned that car. As for the X1 it had the 19" M Sport wheels and the tires were considerably more expensive which was annoying. I think I got 2 flats on that one over the 3 years I owned it. Never had any problems with blowouts all the flats I got were due to nails or screws. Runflats are for sure more expensive than regular tires in more ways than just the cost of the tires themselves since for example most of the time they can't be repaired so you have to replace them which means you often end up replacing pairs or tires instead of just one. But overall I really like the convenience of not getting stuck on the side of the road.