Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Run Flat Tires for Model 3 - solution for lack of spare tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
RFTs have been around for a while, and from reading the reviews, Bridgestone DriveGuard RFTs are a new generation of RFTs.

So, I am looking for anyone who has direct experience w/ the DriveGuard RFTs.... Anyone?
Yes.
I put Driveguards on my Leaf since it was the carpool taxi and didn’t want to get stuck with three kids on the side of the road.

Loss of range was noticeable- stabilized to about 5% lower after a few thousands miles.

They are tough tires and rode more rough compared to a coworkers Leaf. (I ran 44 psi for a range boost, so this was part of the issue)

They were not as good in the cold wet as I wanted.

With all these caveats, I will still be tempted to put them on the M3LR when it comes time for new tires.

Yes.
I put Driveguards on my Leaf since it was the carpool taxi and didn’t want to get stuck with three kids on the side of the road.

Loss of range was noticeable- stabilized to about 5% lower after a few thousands miles.

They are tough tires and rode more rough compared to a coworkers Leaf. (I ran 44 psi for a range boost, so this was part of the issue)

They were not as good in the cold wet as I wanted.

With all these caveats, I will still be tempted to put them on the M3LR when it comes time for new tires.

Tks a lot. Finally someone w/ DriveGuard experience. 5% range loss may be acceptable to me since it is for safety. Wonder what kinda of range loss if inflated normally... I am located in Orange County, CA, the wet performance does worry me a bit in the winter months... So, maybe just buy a full size spare (one of the takeoffs from ppl upgrading wheels...)

I have experience with runflats, so does my wallet. Dirty little secret: they don’t fulfill their promise. You can’t cover much ground with them flat. Driving on them flat destroys them. Think about that with your 4000# Model 3. The folks at Auto Tire et. al. hate them and they charge more to take them off and put new ones on. They aren’t just a little more expensive; they are a lot more expensive to buy.

I actually liked the stiffer ride and handling associated with them, but that makes me an oddball (not that I need help). But that was the only thing.

Reactions: holmgang
RFTs have been around for a while, and from reading the reviews, Bridgestone DriveGuard RFTs are a new generation of RFTs.

So, I am looking for anyone who has direct experience w/ the DriveGuard RFTs.... Anyone?

I have these on my BMW 340i and they're fine. Much quieter than my last set. I got them last fall and they did fine in the snow as well. Not as good as the dedicated winter tires I had before, but I'm lazy and don't want to swap tires so I went for an all season this time. They were about $1200 for the set IIRC.

• Informative
Reactions: Juice13
Getting my model 3 tomorrow and thinking about getting run flats as I’ve using them on my BMW X5, my wife loves them and I actually like the stiffer ride, I do understand the tires were oem and the suspension is tuned in order to support the stiffness, but X5 is a beast and have enough power to handle additional weight, and also I don’t worry about the range as gas stations are easy to be found. In last three years I got 5 nails and I usually drive with nail in for few weeks until I decide to use the replacement warranty, so they get replaced for no additional charge.
Now I see tesla folks have concern about range and it’s a genuine concern but driving without spare and being stranded on road is not a welcoming idea.

Reactions: tvad
Getting my model 3 tomorrow and thinking about getting run flats as I’ve using them on my BMW X5, my wife loves them and I actually like the stiffer ride, I do understand the tires were oem and the suspension is tuned in order to support the stiffness, but X5 is a beast and have enough power to handle additional weight, and also I don’t worry about the range as gas stations are easy to be found. In last three years I got 5 nails and I usually drive with nail in for few weeks until I decide to use the replacement warranty, so they get replaced for no additional charge.
Now I see tesla folks have concern about range and it’s a genuine concern but driving without spare and being stranded on road is not a welcoming idea.

Tesla sells a tire repair kit.

I need to swap tires anyway, since the default on the Performance are summer only and I need some all seasons. I was looking at some 19s with the foam offered by tsportline to limit noise, but guess I'll have to go with non-foam ones. (I don’t know how to plug a tire)

The "new" generation run-flats aren't that bad. I have P Zero RFTs and they're not terrible. A bit louder than I'd like, and with .35/.30 aspect ratio, they were going to be uncomfortable no matter if they were RFT or not.

That said, they're not puncture-agnostic. They're made to allow you to limp home, just as a sealant kit would. Unless driving across Australia on a regular basis, I'd rather use standard tires + sealant, and take the "risk". If I was driving across Australia, I'd take a spare.

At 250,000 driven miles lifetime, I've had slow slow leakages but never a sudden puncture. *knock on wood*

Anyone has experience w/ Bridgestone DriveGuard RFTs? Any Pros or Cons you like to share? Would I notice any ride difference?

Since Model 3 do not come with a spare tire, I would like to swap my 500 miles old MICHELIN PRIMACY MXM4
w/ Bridgestone DriveGuard RFTs.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=DriveGuard&partnum=345WR8DGXLRFT&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Tesla&autoYear=2019&autoModel=Model 3&autoModClar=Rear-Wheel Drive

I actually have the Bridgestone DriveGuards on my GLA 250 and they are much better than the Continental ProContacts (older style of run flat tire) the car came with. I don't notice any significant noise and the ride isn't as stiff as before, though still some what stiff. I don't think they're too bad price wise and was thinking about putting them on my Model Y when it comes.
I live in North New Jersey so pot holes are inevitable. I actually borrowed a Model 3 before and had experience with Teslas road side assistance. The cost to replace the tire (tire on the tesla that came the car) and the over 2 hour wait to get someone to come by makes me feel run flats would have been a better option.
I'd sacrifice 5% of mileage to know I won't have to wait 2 hours to be "saved" from being stranded.
As long as they don't do any long term damage to the car, this might be what I'll do as well.
Hope this helps.

• Informative
Reactions: TomB985 and tvad
I never had flats either, but I have had 3 flat in 3 years on my Nissan Leaf. Probably just the odds catching up with me?:(

LRR tires (eco tires) have thinner tread belts so they are more likely to get punctured. Lessons I learned the hard way.

Two routes you can take:

1) Self-sealing tires. I have had great luck with these as replacements for conventional LRR's. The Pirelli self-sealing I run are LRR but don't get flats like normal LRR's.

2) EMT's. Commonly referred to as Runflats. These have stiff sidewalls and thick tread belts. Their intention is not to be indestructible. Their intention is to be able to drive your car up to 50 miles at low speeds to a safe place to get a new tire. They are expensive insurance that is worth every penny in a thunderstorm in eastern Utah 50 miles from the nearest gas station or cross roads.

Plugging tires is great. I've done it perhaps 20 times in my life. You don't want to do it on the side of a 2 lane 55 mph road in the rain at night when there is no shoulder. Ditto for spare tires. In fact, I've done a plug in under 15 minutes with a can of Seal-n-Air to inflate the tire. That was under dry conditions after I pulled WAY off the road at a turnout.

Your safest bet is a cellphone and EMT's. Most people today are not experienced enough with jacking up vehicles safely, especially on the road at night with no shoulder. Both plugs and spares require you to jack up the car. EMTs do not.

Do whatever trips your trigger. But people should not say EMTs are not a good choice for safety. That's not true.

• Love
Reactions: tvad

I like the Pirelli's. It's the only brand I use. Lots of traction for playtime, acceptable durability, good nail resistance, OEM mileage.

DOH!! Pirelli is now only one size. But I imagine others are similar.

Last edited:
Reactions: vickh