Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Run Flat Tires for Model 3 - solution for lack of spare tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have Bridgestone drivegaurd tires on my M3. It is just a bit harsher going over hard bumps but normal road I don't notice much of a difference.

I think there was a slight decrease in range but I drastically changed commute at the time I got tires so I'm not sure how much.

Traction and handling are good I don't know about cold weather though as I live in Vegas so anything below 50ºF is cold to me.

I also have them on a VW Jetta and can't tell the difference between them and the Michelin tires I have on the other Jetta in my fleet.

I will continue with drivegaurd tires on my Tesla and any car that doesn't have a spare.

Just put them on and they actually seem smoother and quieter than the OEM Michelin mxm4. But that could be because they are new tires and my old tires were pretty worn down. But they definitely take a toll on energy consumption. I used to average about 295wh/mi now it’s more like 310-315. My driving is mostly highway driving at 75-80mph.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh and Juice13
I have no ability to make real life comparisons, but I find it hard to believe that the newer designed run flats could be that worse than the M3 OEM tires when you are at 44 psi (or was it 42) tire pressure. With pressure that high, I would say my wife's BMW run flats at 33 psi -Fr /3 6 psi -Reari are swishy compared to the M3. The differences in tire specs are: the Bridgestone drive guard vsTesla MXM4 is 5 lbs heavier 30 vs 25 lbs (watch out for pot holes), thinner tread 6.6 vs 7.5" and depth 9/32 vs 11/32. I wonder if the rolling resistance is similar since it is thiner but then again thicker tread increases rolling resistance until it wears. BTW, the run flats at tire rack is cheaper than the OEM replacements for Tesla.

Another vote against run flats. Had them on my Sienna van. I ran over a nail at 500 miles and was told they CANNOT be repaired. The replacement was $325. The tires were loud and very rough riding, and lasted only 20,000 miles. The four new replacements are incredibly quieter and smoother. Also gained an additional mpg with the new tires.
What type of tires did you end up getting?

I had run flats on my BMW Z4. Had a blowout on the highway - sort of a loud hissing/whooshing noise - but other than that not noticeable change in ride quality. I wasn't even sure it was a flat tire until I got to where I was going. Figured - screw it - they're run flats. I'll just drive it home. Made it half way before it started smelling like burning rubber. Ended up having to pull over and call a flatbed. After that I put on some Eagle F1s (not run flats) and the change in ride quality and noise was immediate and dramatic. Long story short - run flats suck. I vote just get a plug kit and pay the $10 a year to add towing to your insurance policy.

Reactions: Tinkerin
In case anyone’s wondering about the viability of plug kits, I can attest I’ve had two flats since I’ve owned the car (3 1/2 years), and the plug kit worked wonders both times. It’s the quickest, easiest way of taking care of a puncture. No removing of the wheel, no jacking up the car, and I was back on the road in a few minutes. In fact, in one case my wife and I were headed out to dinner and made it exactly on time for the reservation.

I have a flat repair kit and a pump. Anything worse I have 3 different roadside assistance programs available to me. I'd prefer to cross the bridge when it comes rather than burn space/weight with a spare or bolting on bricks (runflats).

Just keep in mind. Run flats are generally heavier tires and this will effect range. IIRC They are generally 2-5 lbs heavier than conventional tires. Just something to think about.
run flats hurt range not directly because they are heavier but because there is much stiffer tire material to deform. The energy expense of deforming the tire is necessarily higher than a tire that doesn’t have to hold up the car with no air.