Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Run Flat Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can drive on a run flat at 50 mph for about 50 miles. They do not “rapidly disintegrate”. The warning on my BMW was a large lamp, notification on the infotainment screen and a chime and was impossible to not notice.

The main advantage of run flats is letting you get safely to a service station without having to exit your vehicle and risk getting run over, getting stuck with a flat in a bad neighborhood or miles from help, etc.

I wouldn’t recommend them on the M3. They are very stiff and the car suspension needs to be designed around them or the ride will suffer.

Additionally they are heavy and will probably affect the efficiency.

You missed the freeway part? 70+ MPH does indeed disintegrate run flats that are flat, or any flat tire for that matter. And I was going a tad over 70 at the time it happened. The issue was noticing you have a flat, which with low profile tires and run flats was hard to do, especially as the TPMS didn't trigger, or at least I didn't notice it trigger until after the tire was all over the freeway.