Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Run flat tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the Model S does have a spare tire, or even room for a spare other than the frunk, is there any reason why it cannot, or should not, have run flat tires?
Hi docrmsmd - not sure if you can already edit your posts (don't remember what the minimum number of posts is for that), but I think there may be a typo in there... I'm assuming you wanted to say "doesn't have a spare tire"...

Run flat tires are very expensive and not available in all sizes. And they tend to have lots of other drawbacks around ride quality and grip. On my Toyota Sienna I actually switched away from them because I was so dissatisfied with the ride quality and noise. So if you are worried about having a flat (and the TPMS catching it too late - or it being catastrophic), then I think you'd be much better off with a spare tire in the frunk...

I thought about doing the same thing, but read so many negative posts about noise and ride quality on run flats that I have decided against it. I have the Tesla tire inflator-gunk thingy and just bought a tire plug kit as insurance. Not having a spare does make me uncomfortable, having 21"rs. But I am keeping my fingers crossed and my eyes peeled for potholes.

I thought about doing the same thing, but read so many negative posts about noise and ride quality on run flats that I have decided against it. I have the Tesla tire inflator-gunk thingy and just bought a tire plug kit as insurance. Not having a spare does make me uncomfortable, having 21"rs. But I am keeping my fingers crossed and my eyes peeled for potholes.

Runflats actually make pothole damage worse because of the stiff sidewalls. Also once you actually "run flat", the tire is ruined and you have to purchase a new one. There's a reasonably chance of repair on a non-runflat tire.