Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Run flat tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the model S come with runflat tires? I don't understand why my BMW has runflat tires. they are more expensive and they could technically only drive 50 miles more when you have a puncture. So don't understand what the deal is with them and why more and more companies are getting rid of spares.

Why would it not have a spare if it has regular tires?
Run-flat tires create more problems then they solve. They are hard riding. They have terrible rolling resistance. They can't be repaired. They are only good for a few miles at low speeds. They are more expensive. My understanding is that most BMW owners replace the run-flats with normal tires. As far as being more dangerous than a car with a spare tire, that's just not the case. When you have a flat you have a flat. Many Tesla owners carry a repair kit or the slime and compressor solution.

Why would it not have a spare if it has regular tires? That's dangerous.

Usually when there is no spare tire, that's because the car has run flat tires.

It just adds a lot of unnecessary weight for something you might use once every few years, if that. And I would argue that it might be safer to just have Tesla Service come out and replace the tire for you. It would be safer than crouching in the dark on the side of the highway in traffic trying to replace the tire yourself.

And you could always get the tire repair kit for when you're in a pinch. A lot of modern cars are skipping the spare tire in return of better efficiency and more cargo space. And apparently run flat tires aren't very good either.

Run-flat tires are THE GREATEST!

And the reason is....

....because that minimal-give rubber transmits so much of the shock from the pothole or road detritus or what-have-you directly to the expensive forged aluminum rim, that it is that which shatters instead.

So - happyhappyhappy is your friendly BMW dealer cuz you're their newest bestest friend.

Lesson: Unless you're constantly running the Denali or Dalton or Dempster Highways - all more pothole and frost-heave than anything smooth, with repair shops eight hours or more away, AND you're in your F-450, steel-wheeled pickup, do NOT buy run-flats.

Reactions: pjoseph
It just adds a lot of unnecessary weight for something you might use once every few years, if that. And I would argue that it might be safer to just have Tesla Service come out and replace the tire for you. It would be safer than crouching in the dark on the side of the highway in traffic trying to replace the tire yourself.

And you could always get the tire repair kit for when you're in a pinch. A lot of modern cars are skipping the spare tire in return of better efficiency and more cargo space. And apparently run flat tires aren't very good either.

How does Tesla service work? Is it free or is it a fee? Or only free when you are in the 4 year warranty?

Runflat tires can be plugged for nail punctures. I'm getting one plugged as I type this.

So with the repair kit, I'm not familiar with the slime and compressor solution, you just fix the hole puncture there? How do you take out the nail?

You carry something like a Leatherman Multi-tool or pair of vice grips to pull the nail out, temporarily patch the hole using the items in the repair kit, put in the slime, and use the compressor to slowly put pressure back into the tire until you can get to a place to permanently take care of your repair. ...all that assuming you couldn't first use your cell phone to call for free-during warranty or AAA roadside assistance to do it for you, or tow you to a tire place or SC to resolve your problem to begin with.

My former 335i had run flats, and not every nail puncture could be resolved with a plug. IMHO you're lucky. It's a game either way, take the potential benefits and drawbacks of runflats -- or use real tires. I'll probably jinx myself saying this, but I've not had a flat that caused me a problem on the road in more than 40 years with any of my vehicles, including my BMW with the runflats. I suspect it's a lot of examples like my own that have made auto mfgrs like Tesla elect to do what they have with their design -- normal tires and no spare to reduce weight and therefore increase range and available cargo space. If it bothers an MS owner enough, they can certainly put a spare in their massive MS trunk -- some owners here on TMC have done that. Everyone has something that bugs, annoys, or are just personal points of concern. Me? I have a Leatherman Multi-tool, flashlight, and optional $50 Tesla repair kit wth compressor, which I carry out-of-sight in my rear footwell just in case one day I'm out of cell coverage when a flat does occur. Tesla roadside assistance or AAA will get my call first when I have a flat.

- - - Updated - - -

How does Tesla service work? Is it free or is it a fee? Or only free when you are in the 4 year warranty?
Free roadside assistance during warranty, just as it is with most other luxury brands. AAA is pretty cheap insurance after-the-fact.

Last edited:
Runflat tires can be plugged for nail punctures. I'm getting one plugged as I type this.

So with the repair kit, I'm not familiar with the slime and compressor solution, you just fix the hole puncture there? How do you take out the nail?
Here is one. It's just a stopgap until you can properly repair the tire.

Note that if you've used the run-flat capability of a run-flat tire at all, it's scrap. While you can plug the tire if it didn't go all the way flat, (there was still at least 25 psi in the tire when it was fixed, the tire still needs to be unmounted and inspected for damage (that applies to all plugged tires BTW).

Since the car has tire pressure warning system slow leaks caused by a nail that remains in the tire will usually allow you to just add air with a compressor and drive to a repair shop. If you get a blow out then your SOL with non run flats but that doesn't happen very often. I had run flats on my Corvette but I replaced them with non run flats since it handles better and they are much cheaper. I just carry slime and a compressor as I do with the Tesla.

No Model S has a spare or run flat tires.

It may go without saying but you might want to qualify that with no Model Ss come from the factory with spares.

After reading up on the subject on these forums I bought my spare (and jack and tools) before the car even arrived.

All that stays in the garage most of the time. I only put it in the trunk for drives where waiting for roadside service is not a viable option.

I also bought Tesla's fix-a-flat kit and that does stay in the trunk all the time.

My BMW 335i had run flats. The BMW would wear out the inside edge of the rear tires even when properly aligned. Before I realized this I was fooled by the visible tread on the outside edge of the tire. I appreciated the run flats when my tire blew a 1 inch hole at 70 mph. I heard the tire blow but did not realize what it was until the tire pressure sensor alarm went off. The car continued to handle like it did not have a flat. I had a second flat from a nail and had the same experience. I would not put them on my Model S, but I did appreciate how they allowed the car to continue to drive without air. I did patch two nail holes in 8 years. The repair required the tire to removed and patched from the inside.

I had some Run Flat tires installed on my Model S by mistake. The ride was awful. When I took it back to my local tire shop, they revealed that the Run Flats were installed in error.

Which tires did you have? I also had run flats installed accidentally last year and haven't really noticed much of a difference. They are the run flat versions of the regular Primacy's that are standard on the 19" rims.

Which tires did you have? I also had run flats installed accidentally last year and haven't really noticed much of a difference. They are the run flat versions of the regular Primacy's that are standard on the 19" rims.
I had some Pirelli tires on mine because that was the only tire available (had a destroyed tire and that was all the tire store had in stock). The Wh/mi went up by 80. I was able to return them and put on the Primacies which brought the Wh/mi down to normal.