TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Run winter tires without TPMS?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by BlueWRXPride, Apr 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. BlueWRXPride

BlueWRXPride Member

In my current car, I have a separate set of wheels with winter tires on them, and I switch them back and forth myself with the seasons. But the winter wheels don't have TPMS sensors, so I just deal with the TPMS light being on through the winter. The only impact on that car (Honda Odyssey) is that it won't let you disengage the traction control.

If I do the same with the M3, and have a set of winter wheels with no TPMS sensors, is there any adverse effect?

2. run-the-joules

run-the-joules Active Member

Why not just install TPMS sensors on the spare set? Supposedly the car can have two sets programmed for this reason.

3. McFlurri

McFlurri Active Member

Maybe because they are $60-$100CAD each!

Thats a lot of money.

I do the same as the OP. Winter tires dont have TPMS but my summers do.

I am curious about this myself..

• Like x 1
  4. Sportstick

Sportstick Member

I'd consider this...if ever there was a time when you would want advance notice of a leak and avoid a roadside tire change, would it be in the winter, or the other three seasons?

5. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Tezler Guru

You can buy aftermarket ones that work for ~$150 USD a set.

6. RayK

RayK Active Member

I'd say that if you can afford a second set of rims and tires, then you can spend ~US$200 for the sensors.

• Like x 2
  7. BlueWRXPride

BlueWRXPride Member

Eh, sure I could afford it, but I have no problem monitoring air pressures myself, so if there isn't a reason I'm not aware of that the M3 would have issues with no TMPS, then I'd probably just skip it, rather then spend $200 i don't need to.

• Like x 1
  8. RDaneel

RDaneel Member

I imagine the car will freak out on you if it doesn't detect the TPMS. It's only $150. Seriously, just buy the f-ing things.

• Like x 1