Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Running a car on Electrons vs LPG

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If all I wanted to do was save money… I’d just buy a cheaper car.

Cheaper per mile costs (and other perks such as no VED, congestion charge exemption etc) are great today for offsetting the higher initial purchase price. As battery etc. costs fall, that will become less important.

But (for me at least) it wasn’t about saving money anyway. Clearly I need to be able to afford it (ie I waited for a model 3 rather than a model S a few years prior) but tha main goal of going electric was elsewhere

Reactions: Obliter8
There is a difference though - the VAT on home electricity is only 5% whereas from a public charge point its "full-fat" VAT at 20%.
I feel that that will need to change unless the plan is actually to price the less well off out of their cars it is unfair enough that the better off, i.e. those without a drive have to pay peak prices for power while we can pay off peak prices. But then we go and slap 4 times the tax on it as well.
I think the govt may have to put in an exception and allow commercial EV charging electrons to be taxed at 5%. at least for AC charging if not all.
I am just not sure taxing the poor at 4 times the rich is going to fly politically long term.
I have no objection to road pricing in principal. Not least because it discourages un-necessary road use. The number of cars is projected to be 44 million in a few years. none of us will be going or parking anywhere unless we take steps to manage road use and making it cheaper is not going to help.
I love my car but I am smart enough to realise we can't all be driving them all the time.

Reactions: Obliter8

Cheaper per mile costs (and other perks such as no VED, congestion charge exemption etc) are great today for offsetting the higher initial purchase price. As battery etc. costs fall, that will become less important.

But (for me at least) it wasn’t about saving money anyway. Clearly I need to be able to afford it (ie I waited for a model 3 rather than a model S a few years prior) but tha main goal of going electric was elsewhere
Go on what was it?
Speed?
Virtue Signalling?
Impressing Teenage children?
Mid life Crisis?
boredom?
Childhood nostalgia for plastic seats?

Am I warm?

Reactions: Js1977

Personal choice at the end of the day. For me they just drive nicer than a petrol/diesel car. Would of bought a brand new rs3 as a natural progression if it wasn't for Tesla. Hence bought the model 3 for the MRs and ofcourse I get to drive it as well until Model Y gets here for myself. Got hours when the grant was still available but would of got one anyway since Im not stupid enough to think I was saving 3k or whatever it was the government was literally giving to manufacturers at the time.

I was just sold on how it drives, defrosting in a winters morning mainly, not having to visit a refuelling station for 99.9% of the time. I bought electric. The whole going green thing is jut a good byproduct, not the incentive (for me)

There's been an electric category running in the Isle of Man TT since 2010 ... they're definitely a thing! (And they run at Pikes Peak Electric motorcycles make impressive showing at Pikes Peak Hill Climb race )
(nerd mode activated)

The TT Zero started as a 1 lap race with battery electric bikes and a couple of very expensive Mugen (i.e. Honda) battery powered prototypes. Honda influenced the creation of the race strongly as they were working on fuel cells which they believed could be raced in the near term and so it would be a showcase for their engineering prowess and how hydrogen was the future.

It slowly evolved into a 1 lap race with battery electric bikes and a couple of very expensive Mugen battery powered prototypes :-D

On another note I did get into conversation in the US with a UK based bike dealer who had just been at an event where "a manufacturer" had launched their new electric bike. Although he was maintaining the corporate line it was obvious he wasn't going to sell them as it was a considerable investment for the dealer and wouldn't ever pay back.

If I remember correctly soon after that the bike crashed and burned - no actually I got that wrong it just burned in a few instances of "spontaneous" combustion and I haven't heard much about it since.

I had an American RV that ran on LPG and it was game of watching which forecourts had removed the pumps this week. No new ones for years as far as I know. It’s a dying tech. BEV and hybrid has made it redundant for cars really. the Prius was the first step towards halving your taxi bills without loosing your boot space or spare wheel. i wouldn’t recommend LPG to anyone and in the world of UK RVs you’ve either got to have deep pockets or buy a diesel variant (my Ford Triton V10 RV engine did about 7 or 8 mpg and less on LPG as it’s not as efficient. It felt like about 14mpg in your pocket but that was because it’s usually roughly half the price).

These and other forums seem to be full of speculation and Daily Mail style scare stories about what hasn’t been announced yet or ever. EV charging will go up and already has with many including Tesla but the currently bonkers price of wholesale electricity isn‘t dictated by EV uptake since, in the overall scheme of things, I can’t imagine that uptake hasn’t made a dent compared with industrial electricity and home use age for other things. Instead of second guessing how were speculatively going to get screwed, just soak up the joy of not being screwed YET!

if you want to know why charging prices are on the up and why your home electricity is going to sting soon without government intervention then this link is a good place to start. The energy industry is one of the best ‘point at that and blame it’ markets I know of. Last 12 months it’s been power station maintenance, broken inter-connectors, lack of wind, Brexit, blah blah blah but it seems that our brave new world out of ‘the club’ means it’s a free for all and cut-throat plus nobody will care or act until it hits consumers. I don’t claim to understand it amd all I’ve realised is that the energy industry seems to be the new Wild West.