Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Running battery down as shakedown test?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of my Model Y last Friday, everything is currently "So Far So Good", but I haven't had that much opportunity to drive it due to other responsibilities; so far I've been charging it after every trip, not going lower than 65% SoC with my charge limit set to 80%. This weekend I'll be doing some more extensive driving, however, most likely 200+ miles or more.
I saw a mention in another thread about battery calibration needing to have the car idle at different battery charge levels for more accurate range readings, so I was wondering if it was worthwhile to effectively "shake down" the battery by not recharging it until it's at the low end of its SoC (Maybe around 20%), to get this calibration done early on, and also to ensure that there aren't any unexpected issues when the battery runs down to the lower end of its SoC. Does this sound like a worthwhile test, or am I over-thinking things?

Last edited:
I suggest charging to 90% before you leave and seeing how far that takes you. The Tesla Model Y will start to display alerts when the SOC reaches 20%. If you want, stop at a Supercharger when the battery SOC is below 30% if only to confirm that your Model Y is able to use a Supercharger without any issue. You don't need to charge up to 80%, just long enough to make it home and to confirm that you can use the Supercharger. (To use a Supercharger you will need to have a current credit card on file on your Tesla account.)

Other items:

Check your tire pressure, should be 42 PSI cold. I prefer to set the tire pressure to 44 PSI.

Fill the windshield washer reservoir (it holds 1.2 gallons of wash fluid.) From the factory or Service Center Tesla only puts in enough washer fluid to keep the warning indicator light from coming on. I use the regular blue colored pre-mixed summer/winter washer fluid. Other washer fluid products with additives for removing bug splatter or with added water repellent properties can cause streaking.

Last edited:
Yea i go down to like 5%-10% once every month and a half(45 daysish) personally, just so the battery can calibrate at that range if need be, so far the couple of times I’ve tripped to 100% it estimates the full 326miles

Otherwise i charge at about 40% to 90%

So far works for me

Reactions: Deutsch100
Are you seeing something that indicates that the estimated range is a lot lower than expected? I would not expect a new Tesla to need to recalibrate the BMS as there has not been a significant amount of charge/discharge cycles which cause the cells to get slightly out of sync in expected voltage levels.

Don't get overly concerned with your range. Range is going to degrade over time. The first year is the biggest drop and its not a linear decrease over time, just because you lost X% in 6 months doesn't mean that will happen every period.

You are not going to get the EPA range in normal driving. So why worry about whether your stated range is 1% or 5% below this hypothetical EPA range. The car has more than enough range for most trips and there are most likely plenty of easy to use Superchargers on your route to stop and quickly smell the roses while you add a few more miles of range if needed. (Note - if you are on a trip where you will be pushing the range limits, use the Energy Graph to get an accurate real world range projection for your trip)