Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Running out of speculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The speculators have really micro analyzed every thing about the Model 3. I'm kind of burned out on it, and am content to wait for the reveal.

But one thing I want to know RIGHT NOW is, will the 3 have a CCS charging port or CCS adapter?

And don't forget we haven't seen the tow hitch yet which Elon has tweeted will be an option.

tow hitch.PNG

Reactions: DurandalAI
But one thing I want to know RIGHT NOW is, will the 3 have a CCS charging port or CCS adapter?
An adapter seems entirely superfluous for now, and as for a CCS port: Tesla doubling down on SuperCharger construction answers that question.

I live in the middle of no-where and can drive N, S, W and East as far as I want with a Tesla. A CCS car would get me 1/2 the range of the car's home charge and then I would have to turn around. I hope CCS improves in the future but for now it borders on useless and is vastly inferior to the Supercharger network.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skryll
An adapter seems entirely superfluous for now, and as for a CCS port: Tesla doubling down on SuperCharger construction answers that question.

I live in the middle of no-where and can drive N, S, W and East as far as I want with a Tesla. A CCS car would get me 1/2 the range of the car's home charge and then I would have to turn around. I hope CCS improves in the future but for now it borders on useless and is vastly inferior to the Supercharger network.

Tesla can build all the Superchargers it wants, but if they aren't building them NEAR ME, they aren't much good! The only SC near me is a full 20 miles away, and the SC map shows they are planning another one.... 20+ miles in another direction from me.

I have local CCS / Chademo charging stations, and since I live in an apartment, plugging in at home might not be that simple for me. I guess I could buy a used Chademo adapter, but I am against Chademo for no real specific reason and want to see it exist only in Japan and die out in the USA.

I live in Europe where there are more CCS charging locations than Super Chargers. And really, even if there are no CCS chargers around where you live, would you really mind having an additional means of charging the car? Tesla should try to make their cars the best in every way, including being able to use any charger (ideally without having to carry an adapter).

I live in Europe where there are more CCS charging locations than Super Chargers. And really, even if there are no CCS chargers around where you live, would you really mind having an additional means of charging the car? Tesla should try to make their cars the best in every way, including being able to use any charger (ideally without having to carry an adapter).
Engineering is an exercise in trade-offs.

I'm much happier with Tesla spending the pot of money on extending the range and quality of the Supercharger network than spending it on CCS. I presume that the relatively developed CCS network in Europe will lead to an adapter for Tesla use, but I won't be buying one in the near future or even I suspect within the next 10 years. Who knows beyond that time frame.

But I would not want a Model 3 if it used CCS instead of Tesla connector.
This is how I size up things too. The Supercharger network is just that useful to me. Without it, I would stick with a LEAF+Prius Prime and eventually migrate to a 150 mile EV + Prius Prime. And I doubt I will average Supercharger use much more than once or twice a month, and then only to extend my range another 50 miles or so each trip.

Reactions: DurandalAI
OP,

I feel the same way. The Model 3 has been analyzed over and over and over and over and speculation has run amuck. Is there really anything else to analyze?

I think like you....I'm going to wait for the reveal.

I know more about the Model 3 than I do about the car I drive right now.