Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Running over charging cable while in use

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have two model S in the garage with one plug for the charging cable. If the car farthest from the plug is charging, can the other car back over the cable without harming it or affecting the charging? Is it safe to do this?
will it pull the cable from the car or the outlet? if no, it is just putting unnecessary burden on the cable, I would avoid doing it.

The cable *should* be OK, and I would worry much more about it pulling on one plug or the other (I think it would do a lot of damage to the car, if it yanked out the plug from the car side).

However, as kort677 noted, I would avoid this as a normal practice as it is going to put un-needed stress on the wires.

Best suggestion would be to move the plug and charger to somewhere between the cars, so it is only going behind the car that is actually charging and would need to unplug anyway.

Second suggestion, make (or buy) a raceway like Wanter noted. you can do it pretty easily if you want with some long pieces of wood (like 2x4) put them far enough apart to put the cable between them, and get some trim for next to them to make getting over them easier, then fasten these to the garage floor so the car cant just push them around.

Some options (Cable Ramps & Protectors | Discount Ramps)

Alternatively you could look at hanging the wire from the ceiling (there are some pics somewhere on here that show someone doing that).

We have two model S in the garage with one plug for the charging cable. If the car farthest from the plug is charging, can the other car back over the cable without harming it or affecting the charging? Is it safe to do this?
Bad idea. I don't know your garage layout, but is there a way to run the cord up and along the ceiling so that it hangs down between the cars?

I am in the same situation and plan on hanging bungie cords from the garage door rails and then draping the charge cable over the first car under the garage door rails and over to the 2nd car. first car should be able to drive under the cable and the cable will be out of the way of the garage door path.