Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Running Tesla app on a desktop/laptop?

Glan gluaisne

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Sep 11, 2019
UK
Has anyone tried this, using an emulator?

Reason I'm asking is that we live in the fairly big chunk of the UK that can't get a mobile 'phone signal, so for 99.99% of the time our 'phones just stay turned off, as they aren't a lot of use.

With my (soon to be sold) BMW, I can still get the same functionality as the 'phone app from my desktop, so can do all the BMW Connected Drive stuff, like lock the car, check location, set climate controls, set charging times etc, that way (easier to do on a desktop screen too).

It seems as if Tesla only make the app for iOS or Android, there doesn't seem to be a version for Linux, Windows or a Mac. There are emulators around that seem to allow Android or iOS apps to be run on PCs, though, so I wonder if anyone had tried to use one of these with the Tesla app. If it works, then it would seem to be a real advantage, as I find it massively easier to do things on a big screen with a mouse/keyboard (takes me ages to try and poke my fat fingers in the right places on a 'phone screen, and I need to put my reading glasses on to see the thing!).

• Disagree
Reactions: T.F.S.

Yev000

May 3, 2019
Knaphill
Reason I'm asking is that we live in the fairly big chunk of the UK that can't get a mobile 'phone signal, so for 99.99% of the time our 'phones just stay turned off, as they aren't a lot of use.

Is there a particular problem with keeping your phone on? You don't need mobile signal for the app.

Other than that, look at TeslaFi, If you want a referral code so you can have a month trial (instead of a week) let me know. It has all the same functionality and much more reporting/tracking/scheduling

Jason71

May 8, 2019
Shropshire
I assume your PC would use Wifi? Phones also uses wifi so not sure why appc cannot be used at home?

While there may not be an app for desktop were there specific features you wanted to use? all of the API's that the app uses are available you can make the calls to them from an application like Postman or Soap UI. its a bit techy but its an option.

Yev000

May 3, 2019
Knaphill
TeslaFi.JPG

Here is what it looks like when you hit the wifi symbol in your browser. The commands don't always work mind you, same as the app it sometimes fails to wake the car. If it cant connect to the car (car has no signal, wifi or otherwise) then you are out of luck either way.

Reactions: Glan gluaisne

Glan gluaisne

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Sep 11, 2019
UK
Have you looked at Teslafi?

No, I hadn't heard about it, I'll check it out, as it sounds ideal. I wonder why Tesla just don't make an app that runs on a desktop/laptop as well as a 'phone, though?

Is there a particular problem with keeping your phone on? You don't need mobile signal for the app.

Other than that, look at TeslaFi, If you want a referral code so you can have a month trial (instead of a week) let me know. It has all the same functionality and much more reporting/tracking/scheduling

Thanks. Seems pointless to keep something turned on, charged up, etc, all the time just to lock and unlock the car, though, a key fob would be a great deal more useful. Most of the time my 'phone lives in the glovebox of the car, anyway, as it only ever gets used a few times of the year, when we're away. I only really have it for emergencies, and can't really get on with trying to poke fat fingers at a small screen (whenever I do use it I end up peering at the thing with my reading specs on, trying to see where the middle of a fingertip is going to land on the screen!).

• Disagree

BZM3

Aug 15, 2019
Somewhere

With my (soon to be sold) BMW, I can still get the same functionality as the 'phone app from my desktop, so can do all the BMW Connected Drive stuff, like lock the car, check location, set climate controls, set charging times etc, that way (easier to do on a desktop screen too).

It seems as if Tesla only make the app for iOS or Android, there doesn't seem to be a version for Linux, Windows or a Mac. There are emulators around that seem to allow Android or iOS apps to be run on PCs, though, so I wonder if anyone had tried to use one of these with the Tesla app. If it works, then it would seem to be a real advantage, as I find it massively easier to do things on a big screen with a mouse/keyboard (takes me ages to try and poke my fat fingers in the right places on a 'phone screen, and I need to put my reading glasses on to see the thing!).
not having cell phone sounds like heaven. but further, if your cell does not get service, wont that equally affect the car's own cell service as well?

jmaddr

Mar 29, 2019
Florida
As stated above, get your phone connected to the same WiFi as your desktop/laptop and you should be good. After all, your car will need to be connected to the same wifi (if your phone doesn't have mobile service, odds are your car doesn't either). Personally, I'd rather Tesla coders spend time on other things.

Still, if you are still dead set on having a desktop app and have a Mac, check out:
‎Valet for Tesla
upload_2019-10-28_11-20-41.png

I don't know if this would be available on Windows but since it uses Tesla's public API, it would be an easy program to write.

Glan gluaisne

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Sep 11, 2019
UK
not having cell phone sounds like heaven. but further, if your cell does not get service, wont that equally affect the car's own cell service as well?

I did check this before committing to the order and was told that the car could connect via wifi, and it should be able to get a wifi signal OK. It won't be fast, though, as our "broadband" isn't exactly fast.

As stated above, get your phone connected to the same WiFi as your desktop/laptop and you should be good. After all, your car will need to be connected to the same wifi (if your phone doesn't have mobile service, odds are your car doesn't either). Personally, I'd rather Tesla coders spend time on other things.

Still, if you are still dead set on having a desktop app and have a Mac, check out:
‎Valet for Tesla
View attachment 470778
I don't know if this would be available on Windows but since it uses Tesla's public API, it would be an easy program to write.

The problem is really that neither of us see any point in keeping a mobile 'phone turned on, as we never use the things. Mine lives in the glove box in the car, really just in case the car breaks down. I can't see any advantage in keeping it in the house, switched on and charged up every day, seems an awful lot of faff to mainly just quickly lock and unlock the car.

The car won't be able to get a mobile signal, as my current BMW can't, but the Tesla does have the advantage of being able to connect via wifi (the BMW can't do this).

I've been looking around and there seem to be a few third party apps that will run on a Mac, Windows, and, perhaps, Linux. I have both a Linux laptop and a Windows PC, but not a Mac (although I've been tempted - I've really had just about enough of Microsoft now). Might make sense to replace my ageing Windows 7 machine with a Mac, especially as Win 7 will stop being supported early next year.

• Disagree

pgkevet

Jul 1, 2019
mid wales

Bluestacks android emulator works fine

ewoodrick

Apr 13, 2018
Buford, GA

It's really hard to believe that service is as bad as you allude. If it was, why would everyone have a phone, why do you?

ANY time a PC can get connectivity, a phone can, so your argument is a little hard to believe.

So maybe it is time to stop being an old fart and leave your phones on. Or just go back to driving your old car.

Glan gluaisne

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Sep 11, 2019
UK
It's really hard to believe that service is as bad as you allude. If it was, why would everyone have a phone, why do you?

ANY time a PC can get connectivity, a phone can, so your argument is a little hard to believe.

So maybe it is time to stop being an old fart and leave your phones on. Or just go back to driving your old car.

Some facts might help. Around 30% of the UK has no mobile 'phone coverage. None at all. When we were building our house I tried standing right at the very top of the scaffolding and still couldn't get a signal, not even a sniff of one.

Using a mobile 'phone in the house on wifi is possible, but not exactly user-friendly. Why opt to make life challenging, with a tiny screen operated by fat fingers, that needs reading glasses to see, when it's very much easier to sit in front of a 24" screen with no glasses and use a keyboard and mouse?

Not sure I appreciate the personal insult, either. Politeness costs nothing.

pgkevet

Jul 1, 2019
mid wales
Some facts might help. Around 30% of the UK has no mobile 'phone coverage. None at all. When we were building our house I tried standing right at the very top of the scaffolding and still couldn't get a signal, not even a sniff of one.

Using a mobile 'phone in the house on wifi is possible, but not exactly user-friendly. Why opt to make life challenging, with a tiny screen operated by fat fingers, that needs reading glasses to see, when it's very much easier to sit in front of a 24" screen with no glasses and use a keyboard and mouse?

Not sure I appreciate the personal insult, either. Politeness costs nothing.

Well said, Sir.
I can get a mobile signal if I walk across 2 fields and climb 250ft up the hill. I must admit I use my phone linked via wifi to communicate with car from the house 'cos the bluestacks takes a while to load. the only reason i have a mobile is in case of breakdowns out of this area (1p mobile is your friend for a cheap connection and I never use up my quarterly minimum) and also to watch crappy tv show downloads while plugging away on gym machines.

Glan gluaisne

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Sep 11, 2019
UK
Well said, Sir.
I can get a mobile signal if I walk across 2 fields and climb 250ft up the hill. I must admit I use my phone linked via wifi to communicate with car from the house 'cos the bluestacks takes a while to load. the only reason i have a mobile is in case of breakdowns out of this area (1p mobile is your friend for a cheap connection and I never use up my quarterly minimum) and also to watch crappy tv show downloads while plugging away on gym machines.

A bit like us! We can get a signal if we drive up the hill behind the house for about half a mile. I recently had to change banks, as the bank I was with started using a text message as authorisation to log in to internet banking, with no alternative authorisation method. This led to the ludicrous situation where, to use internet banking, one of us had to take a 'phone half a mile up the hill, wait to receive the code from the bank, then ring the landline at home so the other could type in the code in time. Our new bank is a bit more sensible, and uses a small card reader for two factor authentication, which seems to work well.

It was hilarious when we were building our house, as every contractor working on site seemed completely lost without the ability to use their 'phones all the time. We're just used to it, as we couldn't get a signal at our old house, either, so we only really have mobile 'phones for emergencies, when out and about. Does make them cheap to run, I don't think I've topped up my PAYG SIM since about January.

• Disagree

gangzoom

May 22, 2014
Uk
Some facts might help. Around 30% of the UK has no mobile 'phone coverage. None at all.

If you wanted to be 100% accurate you should say 30% of the UK LANDMASS has no mobile coverage :). I would imagine mobile coverage by population level would be well over 90%, probably over 95%. I suspect a much percentage of the US landmass has no mobile coverage, but Tesla to date has seen no need to support an desktop app, so I doubt it'll happen.

UKCartogram_tn.jpg

Mr Miserable

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Jul 8, 2019
UK
Three have a feature called wifi calling for when you can't get a signal but have a wifi signal.
I've not used, it at least, not knowingly.

Glan gluaisne

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Sep 11, 2019
UK
If you wanted to be 100% accurate you should say 30% of the UK LANDMASS has no mobile coverage :). I would imagine mobile coverage by population level would be well over 90%, probably over 95%. I suspect a much percentage of the US landmass has no mobile coverage, but Tesla to date has seen no need to support an desktop app, so I doubt it'll happen.

True, but we happen to live in a bit of that 30% that has no mobile coverage, so the effect is exactly the same. FWIW, we live about 10 miles away from a small city, where there is excellent 4G coverage, so not exactly out in the wilderness!

• Disagree

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC