Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Running Tesla app on a desktop/laptop?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Three have a feature called wifi calling for when you can't get a signal but have a wifi signal.
I've not used, it at least, not knowingly.

I looked at this a while ago, when we were having the problem with the bank using text messages for authentication. At the time it didn't work for that, something to do with there needing to be two, separate, methods used. If I understood things properly, the bank's system wasn't happy with an authentication code being sent over the same connection as the computer being used to access their banking services. That sort of fits, as our new bank uses a small reader that generates a code just using the card and a PIN number, so is independent of our internet connection.

I guess we could make mobile 'phone calls using wifi, but it seems a bit pointless when it's easier to just use the cordless landline 'phone. I can use the landline without needing to find my reading glasses, too!

• Disagree
Reactions: T.F.S.
I guess we could make mobile 'phone calls using wifi, but it seems a bit pointless when it's easier to just use the cordless landline 'phone. I can use the landline without needing to find my reading glasses, too!

Bizarrely it can be a lot cheaper nowadays to use your mobile for all your outgoing calls.
We never use our landline for outgoing calls.

I'm pretty sure we get free calls at weekends, maybe in the evenings too. I need to check, but I think that was the deal we signed up to a while ago. The bill for the phone and broadband doesn't seem to change from month to month, anyway.

• Disagree
I'min a similar situation. No cell coverage at all in our areas but the car connects just fine to the home WiFi and I use the app via my phone. I'm also on a network that supports wifi calling for the last 7 months and it's great. Now I can receive calls and sms on my phone via the WiFi. Have no issues with credit/debit card pins being sent and used via WiFi calling.

NB, by default a Tesla will disable wifi when it's not in Park, you can re-enable it but only from inside the car, and it will revert to being disabled next time it's not in Park.

If you want to try out TeslaFi free for a month let me know and I'll send you a referral code ;)

This led to the ludicrous situation where, to use internet banking, one of us had to take a 'phone half a mile up the hill, wait to receive the code from the bank, then ring the landline at home so the other could type in the code in time.
You need to pitch this as an advert for your new bank :)

Teslas have a roaming SIM/eSIM in them which means that, unless I'm mistaken, they'll be able to use any available network giving them a better chance of having a signal at any given time.

Galaxy s6 onwards or iPhone 5 onwards all have WiFi calling, so long as the network supports it. Not sure about other phones. Most networks have gotten rid of those devices you attach to routers it seems as they now support WiFi calling through the phones, which they didn't before

Dunno if things have changed but when i looked into it all the wifi calling phones were 2+times more expensive than my MotoG6 and required a monthly sub. I'm retired so no business calls, It won't work if I'm out and about on my hobby farm and i hate phone calls anyway. We have a landline for emergencies and use whatsap for family.
One of the stupid things about ruralism is that out and about doing agri work is when you really need access to emrgency services - a scary high incidence of accidents with farm tack or chainsaws...

I can't see any advantage in keeping it in the house, switched on and charged up every day, seems an awful lot of faff to mainly just quickly lock and unlock the car.

Instead of paying standing-charges for both might be cheaper to ditch the landline? and just pay for the mobile ... seems to be what the youngsters are doing.

I don't have an answer for ageing eyes though ... I can still, just about, see the "keyboard" without my reading glasses ... but

we could make mobile 'phone calls using wifi, but it seems a bit pointless when it's easier to just use the cordless landline 'phone.

We have several phones in the house (and a PABX type thingie). Can't get spares for it anymore, so moving the phone system to "IP Phones" off the internet. At my PC I can use headset straight off the PC for calls etc. and be handsfree if I'm trying to use the PC too, and in the house some "IP Phone handsets". At that point we will ditch our landline. My Mobile is a bit like yours, not in my pocket and mostly only used when I am "out" as mobile phone signal here is poor. But I can attach it to WiFi to make calls ...

... I have quite a lot of APPs on my phone that I find useful. Perhaps if you had a few more? :) Waze for SatNav, something to control my Husqvarna battery mower, music streaming (to Sonos), Podcasts ... that last one might be the Killer APP if your need for reading glasses are 'coz you are knocking on a bit? ... I use my mobile phone to listen to Podcasts when gardening etc. They are downloaded to phone when attached to WiFi and then available standalone when I want to listen to something interesting.

One of the stupid things about ruralism is that out and about doing agri work is when you really need access to emrgency services - a scary high incidence of accidents with farm tack or chainsaws...

We've had a case last year where a local farmworker was quite seriously injured, and had to make his own way to get help. One of the bigger farms nearby is now using portable radios, so his people can stay in touch when they are out and about.

Instead of paying standing-charges for both might be cheaper to ditch the landline? and just pay for the mobile ... seems to be what the youngsters are doing.

I don't have an answer for ageing eyes though ... I can still, just about, see the "keyboard" without my reading glasses ... but

The snag is that mobile 'phones are just not really convenient for us, apart from not getting a signal here. They seem to need charging up all the time, have screens that are really not at all easy to use if you need reading glasses, and I find that my fat fingers always press the thing in the wrong place a few times every time I use it, something I find as frustrating as hell.

Neither of us make more than one or two 'phone calls a week, and there would be no cost saving by getting rid of the 'phone part of the landline, as that's effectively free, as we need it in order to get what passes for broadband here (we get between 2 Mb/s and 4 Mb/s at best).

The landline is very much easier to use, both are Doro 'phones with big buttons that are both easy to see and press. The landline also has the advantage that you can see the buttons whilst using the 'phone, a real advantage when you have an automated message asking you to "press 1, followed by the # key".

• Disagree

... but he needs the landline to get his Internet connectivity (there's no phone signal). I am also in a rural area but we are lucky enough to have 4G available so we were able to ditch the landline and run Internet via a 4G router... a very good value option. Previously we used 2way satellite for Internet but the cost was horrendous and the the latency wasn't measured in milliseconds it was seconds!

Reactions: Glan gluaisne
I looked at this a while ago, when we were having the problem with the bank using text messages for authentication. At the time it didn't work for that, something to do with there needing to be two, separate, methods used.

Things have moved on. I don't recognize the system you are describing (possibly something even older than I'm taking about here?) but most of the UK networks have been through a phase where they offered an app on your phone to access calls/texts via WiFi when outside coverage - this would still have been transparent from the other end (ie. the bank would have no knowledge that the text they sent was actually delivered via WiFi - it is just sent to the phone number as usual), but on your phone there were two separate bits of UI for cellular (provided by the phone) and for WiFi (provided by the app). This was inconvenient as texts could end up in one inbox or the other arbitrarily according to where you were at the time they arrived. More recently protocols have been standardised and with recent phones it's all integrated - the phone's UI for calls and texts just makes a cellular connection if available or a connection via WiFi if not, using the same security model based on secrets in the SIM card.

So really, I think you are conflating two issues:
  • You don't like smartphones and think phones should be phones, with internet services on some bigger device. This is a reasonable point of view, though becoming a minority.
  • You have no cellular coverage at home. This doesn't matter as you have WiFi. Possibly the lack of coverage in the area around your home makes mobile devices less useful (walking down to the village?) and so less worth spending money on.
It can be very cheap to run an extra smartphone for dedicated use - either wifi only, or get a free data-only SIM (yes, it's really free: £0 to buy and £0/month for up to 200MB usage).

We're keeping our fingers crossed that we may get fibre broadband before too long. There's some sort of rural fibre grant scheme I believe, and rumour has it that we might be getting a fibre cabinet as a part of that. Getting broadband that's fast enough to be able to watch a video without buffering every few seconds would be a real improvement.

• Disagree
Things have moved on. I don't recognize the system you are describing (possibly something even older than I'm taking about here?) but most of the UK networks have been through a phase where they offered an app on your phone to access calls/texts via WiFi when outside coverage - this would still have been transparent from the other end (ie. the bank would have no knowledge that the text they sent was actually delivered via WiFi - it is just sent to the phone number as usual), but on your phone there were two separate bits of UI for cellular (provided by the phone) and for WiFi (provided by the app). This was inconvenient as texts could end up in one inbox or the other arbitrarily according to where you were at the time they arrived. More recently protocols have been standardised and with recent phones it's all integrated - the phone's UI for calls and texts just makes a cellular connection if available or a connection via WiFi if not, using the same security model based on secrets in the SIM card.

So really, I think you are conflating two issues:
  • You don't like smartphones and think phones should be phones, with internet services on some bigger device. This is a reasonable point of view, though becoming a minority.
  • You have no cellular coverage at home. This doesn't matter as you have WiFi. Possibly the lack of coverage in the area around your home makes mobile devices less useful (walking down to the village?) and so less worth spending money on.
It can be very cheap to run an extra smartphone for dedicated use - either wifi only, or get a free data-only SIM (yes, it's really free: £0 to buy and £0/month for up to 200MB usage).

Just to be clear, we both have iPhone SEs, usually kept in the cars for emergency use and both have free PAYG SIMs, with O2, as we've found that O2 seems to have better coverage locally than some others. I'm far from being anti-mobile 'phones, I first bought one in 1990 (thing the size of a brick) and relied on using the things, both at work, and home, for many years. I only stopped using one when we moved to our last house, where there was no signal, so just got into the habit of only having it around for use when out and about, really just for emergency use. It's coincidental that we can't get a signal here, either, but not at all unusual in this area, there are fairly large villages that have no mobile coverage, something that seems to have got worse with some networks as the frequency bands used have got higher.

The bank problem was a real one, and apparently the bank weren't prepared to do anything about it. They just kept saying it was an EU Directive that had to be implemented by September 2019, and their decision was to only use a mobile 'phone secure message for the required second factor authentication. As talking to them was as much use as talking to a brick wall, we just switched banks, to a bank that uses a code from a card reader for the second factor in the authentication scheme (which works very quickly and reliably). Ironically, not long after we did this the government announced that, due to problems in rolling out the new authentication system, the deadline for introducing it was being postponed for a year.

You're right that owning a mobile 'phone is far from being value for money for us. Mine goes for weeks, sometimes months, without being turned on, simply because I don't have a use for it. I find the screen really hard to see without reading glasses, and also find my fat fingers constantly hit the wrong place on the screen. Buying a more expensive 'phone, with a bigger screen, seems a waste of money, given the infrequent use it would get. If anything, my inclination is to bin the iPhone and get a 'phone with a proper keypad, really just for ease of use in an emergency.

We do have wifi at home, although it is a bit slow and unreliable. Broadband here is just a bit too slow to watch video easily, as it just buffers every few seconds, and some websites take a long time to load. It takes about ten seconds for this page to finish loading, for example, so I have to remember not to start typing a reply until it's finished loading completely, otherwise the input gets lost (not unique to this forum, it seems to happen on others, too). For the same reason, I tend not to bother with some websites just because pages take too long to load, despite having changed settings to prevent things like video from autoplaying. With luck we may get FTTC here in the next year, which should make a significant difference, although we'll still have a couple of kms of copper between us and the place where we think the cabinet will go, so we're not likely to get really fast speeds.

I do find it a great deal easier to use a big screen, that's very true. I can easily see this 24" monitor without needing glasses, and likewise find it quick and easy to type on this backlit, Cherry switch, keyboard. The combination of tactile feedback and very clear key markings makes typing, for me, very much faster and easier than a touchscreen. My eyesight's not bad, but ageing has caused my near-vision to degrade. My arms aren't long enough to hold a mobile 'phone far enough away to be able to see the screen clearly without glasses, so I need to wear reading glasses when using it. This isn't as easy as it may seem, as when wearing reading glasses I can't then see clearly beyond a few feet. Fine when sitting down, but not great when standing up or walking around.

One reason I got rid of my last Prius was that the very small touch screen was getting more and more difficult to use, even with the varifocal glasses I use for driving. This was also one reason for opting to get an i3 as a stop-gap EV, as although the screen is fairly small, it is pretty clear and uses a control wheel and button for text and menu selection (much easier to use if your near vision isn't great, or is restricted to only the lower part of your field of vision). One of the attractions of the Model 3 was that big, clear, screen, and very easy to access menu system. I strongly suspect that Tesla may have had someone on the design team that was aware of the big advantage this gives to those of us with fairly poor near vision.

• Disagree
We're keeping our fingers crossed that we may get fibre broadband before too long. There's some sort of rural fibre grant scheme I believe, and rumour has it that we might be getting a fibre cabinet as a part of that.

We got fibre to the green cabinet (which I could reach from front door with a decent stone-throw). We upgraded to Fibre Modem, can't say that it made a lot of difference (but likely we had good copper before that ...) so we are now bringing the fibre into the building. That is a commercial arrangement for me (as I work from home), so not sure if that would be "affordable" otherwise?

It takes about ten seconds for this page to finish loading

Probably already something you do, but installing a Freebie AD Blocker (in your Browser) could cut the size of the actual downloaded page. The one I use is "Adblock plus" (beware there are ripoffs with similar sounding names)

Reactions: Glan gluaisne
We got fibre to the green cabinet (which I could reach from front door with a decent stone-throw). We upgraded to Fibre Modem, can't say that it made a lot of difference (but likely we had good copper before that ...) so we are now bringing the fibre into the building. That is a commercial arrangement for me (as I work from home), so not sure if that would be "affordable" otherwise?

Probably already something you do, but installing a Freebie AD Blocker (in your Browser) could cut the size of the actual downloaded page. The one I use is "Adblock plus" (beware there are ripoffs with similar sounding names)

I've been running Adblock Plus for some time, along with Disable AutoPlay (stops some videos from trying to automatically start when a page loads). Without those, page loads would be longer, and in some case so long as to make some sites almost unusable. Another forum made some changes earlier this year that massively increased the page load time, not 100% sure why, as although the new format had lots more ads, Adblock Plus should have dealt with them. I just stopped using it, as waiting 30 seconds to a minute for a page to load was just too long, IMHO.

At least most of the pages here load fairly quickly, it just seems to take several seconds for the "reply" box to work properly, something that seems fairly common, as other forums seem to be much the same. Not a major issue, really, compared with not being able to read a page at all for ages.

Okay, so let's turn this around a little. Let's go with the big dark areas of the country that have no cellular service.

Let Tesla design a desktop app

It wouldn't work.

The car doesn't talk over the Internet for all that stuff, it just uses cellular, so if you don't have cellular, neither does the car.

Oh, sure, maybe they could add it, but that's more work.