Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Running wire from the panel; attic vs. raised foundation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First post here! I've searched the threads and haven't really found an answer to this, so here goes.

Took delivery of a S90D a couple of weeks ago and have been shopping around to install a 240v outlet into our garage.

The quotes have been fairly wild, ranging from $600-$1100 without permit.

My panel and garage are on opposite sides of my home. It's on a raised foundation and readily accessible, and yet every electrician has suggested going through the attic crawlspace - why?

And yes in hindsight I should have just asked the electrician this question :rolleyes:

I don't know of any code reason to do so. It's probably just an access thing. I personally HATE crawling around under houses, dodging pipes, HVAC, etc. Plus some houses have an uneven crawlspace so there may be 3-4ft at one end but it shrinks to 18" at the other. Not to mention they're usually dirty, filled with rusty nails from construction, who knows. Attic is likely more accessible/just easier to work in, even though it means a longer cable run.

Heres some question you need have answered. How many amps are you pulling, 30, 40, 50,80? The lower amperage circuit is much cheaper, i.e. a 30A 240V requires only 10 gauge Romex. 80 amps will require 3 or 4 gauge which is much harder to work with. How much power can your panel handle? What's the car set up for, 48A or the bigger setup.