Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder why the colors are reversed for eliminated personnel?

Outstanding! Let's keep supporting Ukraine till the Russians are all out of Ukraine for good; if this is my tax dollar at work, I'm not complaining.
I had wondered the same, and I simply don't know. There are folk tracking these numbers, here is one

and you can click through that link to reach this googledocs database

You can see clearly the peaks arising from the two recent cycles of UKR successes

The FIRES heat map correlates with this. It seems there was a significant combined arms thrust (15 tanks) etc :

1664731938590.png

It’s hard to see Putin using a tactical nuke in the very near future, but seems quite plausible he would strongly consider them if his mobilization has as much success as the prior phase.

In 2014 at the annual Valdai Discussion Club in Sochi, then deputy chief of staff Vyacheslav Volodin told international analysts and Russia-watchers that "there is no Russia today if there is no Putin” and that "any attack on Putin is an attack on Russia".

If Russia continues to get pushed out of Ukraine, that would likely seriously increase domestic pressures on Putin, a grave threat to his power and life.

The consequences, however, of acquiescing to any tactical nuclear threats are much greater.

If this is true, then it is wowsers. I've seen Dudchany mentioned so far as an objective to move towards, but now there is a report it is being bypassed towards Mylove. I really don't know if there is enough evidence. But it is true this would be classic manoeuvre warfare once through pie crust style trenches-in-depth. Is anyone else seeing corroboration ?

View attachment 859290

Numerous other reports throughout the Twittersphere continue to roll in that the Ukrainian drive reclaiming a significant chunk of Kherson territory is real. Yeah, hard to know if limited sources are amplifying each other or numerous diverse sources. May not be certain until tomorrow.

^^ I don't know how you guys make sense of the echo chamber of propaganda and low signal/noise that is the twitter-verse, but I really do appreciate the mostly reasonable distillations that get posted here.

I've come to realize that the official UKR channels are worth reading, while the Russian official media is either nonsensical or outright lies.

Early in the conflict one had to take reports from UKR and RUS with heavy grains of salt. We already knew RUS propaganda was world class. But so much of UKR has been surprises, a great percent of these unexpectedly pleasant.

This is not to say UKR is immune to propaganda but they have proven to be far more reliable. When UKR propaganda is deployed, much seems to be used for battlefield misdirection and recruiting more support, not so much to try to dupe their own people/world.

Over the last 200+ days of war one gets a strong sense of which specific news sources tend to be reliable or not. Would say this is similar to having an acquaintance who consistently gives reliable info with a few forgivable duds or one that is mostly FOS.

The world, as *might* be reported from a puppet Russian News agency

An underhanded plot by UKR agents to undermine the integrity of the referendum in D and L has been discovered and corrected. We now know that the will of the people is to not seek unification. Russia will of course respect the referendum and withdraw without delay. Reparations for the operation have been left in iron containers throughout the country.

😳🤔First time have heard of a specific nuke response plan from an insider/expert:

The US and its allies would destroy Russia’s troops and equipment in Ukraine – as well as sink its Black Sea fleet – if Russian president Vladimir Putin uses nuclear weapons in the country, former CIA director and retired four-star army general David Petraeus warned on Sunday…
…He told ABC News: “Just to give you a hypothetical, we would respond by leading a Nato – a collective – effort that would take out every Russian conventional force that we can see and identify on the battlefield in Ukraine and also in Crimea and every ship in the Black Sea.”

Petraeus: US would destroy Russia’s troops if Putin uses nuclear weapons in Ukraine

Last edited:
A
The world, as *might* be reported from a puppet Russian News agency

An underhanded plot by UKR agents to undermine the integrity of the referendum in D and L has been discovered and corrected. We now know that the will of the people is to not seek unification. Russia will of course respect the referendum and withdraw without delay. Reparations for the operation have been left in iron containers throughout the country.
All booby trapped, but look out our explosives are very unstable

Help me out here please. What does the above mean ?

Maneuver warfare is colloquially known as blitzkrieg. Basically the attacker is moving as fast as physically possible with the defenders running or getting overrun by the advancing force.

The invasion of France in 1940, the first stages of Barbarossa in 1941, and the US blitz on Kuwait in 1991 are all examples of this.

If the Russians begin to panic and run, the Kherson front could collapse in a matter of days. With limited ways to escape south of the river, the Russians will be faced with surrendering or dying.

^^ I don't know how you guys make sense of the echo chamber of propaganda and low signal/noise that is the twitter-verse, but I really do appreciate the mostly reasonable distillations that get posted here.

I've come to realize that the official UKR channels are worth reading, while the Russian official media is either nonsensical or outright lies.

It helps a lot to cultivate some reliable sources and go back to them. One thing to do is check back on a source that said something today in a few days and see how close they came to the developed consensus. Someone claiming the Russians are about to take Mykolaiv today is probably very accurate. Similarly someone claiming the Ukrainians are in Kherson city is probably accurate.

There were claims with video a few weeks ago that the Ukrainians were fighting in Kherson city. It turned out to be a propaganda thing put on by Wagner or something. I immediately was skeptical, there was no evidence the Ukrainians were that close and the attackers in the video had amazingly poor fire discipline, something not often seen by Ukrainian forces.

No source is 100% accurate, and different sources have different strengths, but by cross referencing the reliable sources a picture that is fairly accurate can be put together.

😳🤔First time have heard of a specific tactical nuke response plan from an insider/expert:

The US and its allies would destroy Russia’s troops and equipment in Ukraine – as well as sink its Black Sea fleet – if Russian president Vladimir Putin uses nuclear weapons in the country, former CIA director and retired four-star army general David Petraeus warned on Sunday…
…He told ABC News: “Just to give you a hypothetical, we would respond by leading a Nato – a collective – effort that would take out every Russian conventional force that we can see and identify on the battlefield in Ukraine and also in Crimea and every ship in the Black Sea.”

Petraeus: US would destroy Russia’s troops if Putin uses nuclear weapons in Ukraine

Kamil Galeev laid this out as Putin's exit strategy
Thread by @kamilkazani on Thread Reader App

To stay in power Putin needs to lose in such a way that he saves face. The Russians have been referring to Ukrainians as chimps and to lose to chimps is a big humiliation. But to lose to the United States is a more honorable loss.

If that thinking is true, the risk of a nuke being used is very high.

😳🤔First time have heard of a specific nuke response plan from an insider/expert:

Hopefully this is American propaganda. There is plenty Russia can do to retaliate without using more nuclear weapons, which they might do. The US should supply Ukraine but not participate in combat.

Hopefully this is American propaganda. There is plenty Russia can do to retaliate without using more nuclear weapons, which they might do. The US should supply Ukraine but not participate in combat.

They do? So far they have thrown just about everything but their nukes into the fight and they are losing.

Maybe not conventional military. Low blow stuff is more their style. They undoubtedly have this in their playbook and possibly last week was their exercise drill:

Started in 2018, the brainchild of Poland and supported by the European Union, Baltic Pipe will bring gas from the bountiful energy riches of Norway to Central Europe, through the Polish coast. The gas could then flow through overland pipelines to other European Union countries in the region.
But overshadowing its opening is the suspected sabotage this week on the two Nord Stream pipelines. The devastation of the twin undersea arteries has raised fresh concerns about the potential vulnerability of the newest gas link running through the Baltic Sea.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/01/business/baltic-pipe-nord-stream.html