Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Useful RUSI article re Russian air force status, which I agree with given the observed evidence so far

In the early 90s when the USSR broke up a number of the former republics had nuclear weapons they didn't want. There was an agreement made in Budapest in 1994 that had Ukraine, Belarus, and Kazakhstan in exchange for security guarantees. Russia has clearly violated this.
Budapest Memorandum on Security Assurances - Wikipedia

The Ukrainians hot down another Su-34. Twitter has pictures of the pilot, he looks like he has a head injury. The operations officer was not so lucky. There are pictures of his body on Twitter too, it looks like an ejection seat malfunction (a hazard in western jets too).

This is the pilot before the war:

He's the one standing next to the guy in the suit in the right hand picture. He has quite the beer gut, which is visible in the social media pictures after his capture. You can look them up if curious, showing pictures of POWs is against the Geneva Convention. He must be a senior officer to still be flying in such poor shape plus be in a photo op with Russian politicians (including Putin).

The Russians had 134 Su-34 operational at the beginning of the war, they have already lost two that we know of.

The Ukrainians hot down another Su-34. Twitter has pictures of the pilot, he looks like he has a head injury. The operations officer was not so lucky. There are pictures of his body on Twitter too, it looks like an ejection seat malfunction (a hazard in western jets too).

This is the pilot before the war:

He's the one standing next to the guy in the suit in the right hand picture. He has quite the beer gut, which is visible in the social media pictures after his capture. You can look them up if curious, showing pictures of POWs is against the Geneva Convention. He must be a senior officer to still be flying in such poor shape plus be in a photo op with Russian politicians (including Putin).

The Russians had 134 Su-34 operational at the beginning of the war, they have already lost two that we know of.
Isn't the tall chap Bashar al-Assad ?

Does this make it two Su-34 lost by the Russians ? Using that aircraft to drop dumb bombs in this environment is lunacy

Crazy world we're living in.

I wonder where an AI bot would fall in wartime politics? Send them trained with the Patriots and all the Ukrainians have to do is say 'Optimus, shoot Russia' LOL. Oh, and hope they work better than FSD... And never allow Skynet as a username... Okay, I'll see myself out... 😆

No, they are not transferring back to the Baltic. At least not yet.

We'll see what happens with them.

Useful RUSI article re Russian air force status

Good article. The Russian involvement in Syria was really a small operation. This has a list of unit strengths on the right bar down a ways. They committed aircraft by the handful only. A total of 8 Su-34 for example.

I was surprised they are using the aircraft at low altitude. I read that the presence of MANPADS in such high numbers was going to drive the helicopters out completely and push the fighter bombers to above 10,000 feet. Apparently they are going in low instead. Dumb move when your opponent's AA is prevalent at low altitude.

The Russians should own the skies at this point. Things would be even worse for them if the Ukrainians got those aircraft from eastern Europe. I expect the Ukrainians will be re-equipping with F-16s after this. It will take a year or so for the pilots to get trained, but their air force will be much more modern and compatible with NATO. The US has something like 4000 F-16 in mothballs that can be put back into service in a matter of weeks.

Russian troops in the north are starving, their convoy is stuck dead in the water, they are running out of smart weapons, their vehicles are breaking down or being abandoned all over Ukraine, and their air force is a wet squib. Their military may be large, but it's quality is on par with the Arab armies Israel has fought over the years.

I've been surprised at how bad they are, and most of the experts I read are too. I knew the Russian military was not as good as most of NATO, but I didn't know they were this bad.

I absolutely, positively do not want to find out, but if all their other equipment is so poorly maintained and poor quality, I wonder how bad their ICBMs are? They have been sitting unused for many decades at this point. The warheads have to be renewed from time to time (the fissionable material degrades). Of course USAF doctrine keeps up on the maintenance like clockwork, and I'm sure France and the UK do the same. Who knows what state Russia's arsenal is in?

Again, it's one of those things I (and probably everybody) does not want to find out. But I was wondering about that earlier.

Isn't the tall chap Bashar al-Assad ?

Does this make it two Su-34 lost by the Russians ? Using that aircraft to drop dumb bombs in this environment is lunacy

I think you're right. I thought he looked familiar.

I have heard about 2 Su-34s brought down so far.

The rumors are the Russians used up all their smart munitions so they are using their best fighter bomber to drop dumb munitions willy nilly.

Russian State TV Just Blew Up Putin’s ‘Nazi Ukraine’ Bullsh*t
https://www.t

This was an interesting article. It helped me understand Putin’s reference to de-Nazification. In short, it is just a purposeful branding of an enemy with an emotional label for propaganda and disinformation - in this case aimed at the Russian population, to help them process/support what their government is doing. I read this before I read the Bulwark article on nuclear end game. I am (scarily) coming to the conclusion, that the ruling parties in Russia are so far down the rabbit hole that they won’t see logic or reason from current actions, ie, stymieing their assault, exposing their military weakness; it will not deter them from their objective and they may be willing to use tactical nuclear weapons to achieve it. I believe that needs to be met with a red line in a clear and decisive manner. Perhaps fear is the only motivator that would propel those in Russia who could stop this, to do so?

In case someone missed it:

Retired Admiral William McRaven
Former Commander of the United States Special Operations Command (SOCOM)
Thanks for that video. Related I think.
“This is what American and NATO support for Ukraine looks like. Every day, 14 widebody jets are landing here to deliver Javelins, Stinger antiaircraft missiles and other weapons for the Ukrainians. A half-dozen of these daily arrivals are American planes.”

So Russian air foece losses as of 5-Mar are:
- 39 planes
- 40 helicopters

Per this link they had approx 300 modern combat aircraft in the area pre-invasion, which I think means fixed wing aircraft. If so they have already lost over 10% of their fixed wing aviation and it would appear a similar fraction of their rotary fleet. And aircrew. These losses are even greater than the ~5% troop losses (KIA) so far.

Each morning I wake up thinking ok Russia will surely have made some progress today and each morning, they haven’t taken major objectives.

If Ukraine can hold out for another week or two, as bad as it’s going to sound, Putin will just bomb the hell out of the country and in two weeks declare “the Ukraine threat has been disabled” and move his troops out of Ukraine. The country will be left in rubbles unfortunately.

But I really don’t see how the Russian economy and Putins own military logistics/supply survives longer than 2 weeks from this point. Both are already breaking down faster than I thought they would and with each passing day, it becomes more apparent how weak the Russian army is.

I've been surprised at how bad they are, and most of the experts I read are too. I knew the Russian military was not as good as most of NATO, but I didn't know they were this bad.
First, @wdolson , I want to say thank you for your very detailed posts regarding the Ukraine situation, I find them very valuable and look forward to reading them and reviewing the links you post.

Second, I'm wondering if Russia is not using it's best equipment (Planes, Missiles, tanks, etc) so they they dont 'show their hand' to the western countries and NATO. But the more I think about it though, I think everyone over estimated Russia's military capability and while they do have nukes, their conventional military is extremely lacking and outdated. It seems like Ukraine keeps finding military vehicles stripped of their important/valuable equipment but I am starting to wonder if they never had much of it in the first place. Maybe AA missile tubes filled 1/3 of the capacity, high tech radar never installed, not using digital encrypted communications, etc.

Russian State TV Just Blew Up Putin’s ‘Nazi Ukraine’ Bullsh*t
https://www.t

This was an interesting article. It helped me understand Putin’s reference to de-Nazification. In short, it is just a purposeful branding of an enemy with an emotional label for propaganda and disinformation - in this case aimed at the Russian population, to help them process/support what their government is doing. I read this before I read the Bulwark article on nuclear end game. I am (scarily) coming to the conclusion, that the ruling parties in Russia are so far down the rabbit hole that they won’t see logic or reason from current actions, ie, stymieing their assault, exposing their military weakness; it will not deter them from their objective and they may be willing to use tactical nuclear weapons to achieve it. I believe that needs to be met with a red line in a clear and decisive manner. Perhaps fear is the only motivator that would propel those in Russia who could stop this, to do so?

Yes, that's why it would make sense to also send Starlink terminals to Putin's Russian opponents in Russia, even some of Putin's inner circle so they can see the uncensored views - which I'm sure is being figured out by Elon.