Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no date on that article from The Hill, but it's probably from early in the war. The Russians fired around 700 Iskander missiles and they have been firing ship based missiles every day.
Russians might be firing that much now, but it comes back to the first 10 days of the war. The US was able to gain air superiority in Iraq within its first 10 days as they were able to hack as well as destroy the Iraqi infrastructure by sending over 2,000 missiles within the first several days, whereas Russia sent less than 200 and immediately went in. As stated earlier the US totally destroyed the Iraqi vital transportation, grid and water supplies, which was why an estimated 1.1-1.3 million Iraqis died as a result of our military campaign. Whereas the Russians did not go after the Ukrainian infrastructure system as hard, which gave us time to reinforce as well as build up our defenses for Ukraine, even allowing time for Elon to send Satellite dishes...

The US overwhelmed it’s adversary the first 10 days to ensure its troops can go in for the knockout punch while protecting them from the air. Not sending in thousands of missiles to strike at Ukraines infrastructure immediately exposed Putin’s ground campaign, which is why they’re suffering heavy loses. I remember listening to this US military commander speak of how vital the first 10 days are, and that window was closing on day 8 when Russia was still advancing and losing large quantities of its troops on the ground. The highest estimate I’ve heard was 400 missiles the first 2-3 days of the war, well below what the US would have done to ensure protection from the air.
The Iskanders switched from infrastructure targets to civilian targets in an attempt to terrorize the populous, a very amateur move. They wasted most of their missiles on apartment buildings and only switched to back military targets in the last week when they have almost no missiles left.
Yes it’s a desperate move as they’ve lost that 10 day window to knock out the Ukrainian grid. Infrastructure is defined as: transportation, roads, airports, electric grid as well as water supplies. The US doesn’t talk about destroying Iraq’s water supply because it’s a PR nightmare. Had the Russians sent missiles to take out Ukraine’s water supply, can you imagine the amount of deaths we will be seeing today? The Russians saw no reason to do this at the commence of war, with hindsight, they would probably do things a bit more aggressively now to gain air superiority.
Like everything else the Russian air force is not as good as they made the world believe. They do far less training than western air forces and it's showed. This is from a month ago, but it still stands
Is the Russian Air Force Actually Incapable of Complex Air Operations?

In a non-nuclear WW III scenario there have to be two sides capable of slugging it out with one another. The Russian's conventional forces turned out to be far weaker than anybody thought and they've burned them up in Ukraine. It will take them decades to get back to where they are now, if they ever will.
From what I read in the past, Russians train 1/2 the amount of hours as NATO pilots. This is good for NATO soldiers, but it doesn’t mean Russians are incapable, it just means the Russian pilots aren’t able to operate under conditions that aren’t favorable. If we send our pilots into Russia without air superiority, we’d get shot down too, even if we train 10 times as hard. In fact, we lost a lot of pilots to less equipped groups of communists in Vietnam, there are stories of how groups of Vietnamese peasants were able to shoot US warplanes with machine guns under the right conditions.
Russia has one of the lowest birthrates in the world. It is a country of 140 million, but only about half a million men come of age per year. By contrast France was able to conscript that many in the years before WW I with a population of 40 million. The Russians have had fewer and fewer conscripts pass the physical and other evaluations every year because of rising levels of poor health and drug addiction among the conscript pool. Draft dodging is also rampant with young men leaving the country rather than serving.

Their current conscription per year is about 260,000 now. That pool continues to drop year to year. In a few decades they will not be able to raise much of an army at all.
In general you need troops, a lot of troops to fight wars. But with technology today, I would not send foot soldiers into Russia knowing they have the lines of defense ready for us. As General Kelly describes, the Russians have layers upon layers upon layers of anti-air weapons setup in Russia. Without air superiority, troops will get decimated, breaking through the Russian lines layers of anti aircraft defense won’t be easy as some are expecting here in this forum.
China can't do that, they don't make the parts the Russians need. The chips the weapons use are highly specialized and the weapons need to be redesigned for parts from another source. That would take years.
Regarding Chinese chip making capabilities, people on this forum and elsewhere think China is trying to retake Taiwan because of its chip industry, this couldn’t be further from the truth, please read this article:

Just five years ago, China’s semiconductor device sales were $13 billion, accounting for only 3.8% of global chip sales. In 2020, however, the Chinese semiconductor industry registered an unprecedented annual growth rate of 30.6% to reach $39.8 billion in total annual sales, according to an SIA analysis [1]. The jump in growth helped China capture 9% of the global semiconductor market in 2020, surpassing Taiwan for two consecutive years and closely following Japan and the EU, which each took 10% of market share. Sales data for 2021 are not yet available.

This is why the US and Biden is trying its earnest to prevent China from entering and altering the course of this war.

Yes the Russians have AA assets. Most are situated near major Russian cities. NATO has no interest in occupying Russia. I'm sure none of the war plans include anything more than some tactical occupation of some border regions for short term.

In a near term war scenario NATO would be knocking out Russian forces on the borders of NATO territory, in Ukraine, and on the borders of Ukraine.

I'm not a warhawk with Russia. I am very concerned about any war between NATO and Russia turning nuclear because the Russians have nothing else to use.
I have no doubt that NATO can take out Russia in a prolonged war, what I am saying is that it won’t be as easy as what many people here are speculating.

Also I watched the video you posted, the speaker makes very good points about Russia’s failing ground campaign, and I largely agree with your assessment that it sent in it’s A team. Whether that team can operate more efficiently had Russia mirrored the US Iraqi campaign and send in thousands more missiles on the first 10 days is anyone’s guess. But it sure will be much easier with air superiority, the problem I am posing isn’t the ground campaign, it’s the large bombs that can potentially be deployed at NATO if they tried to enter Russian territory in a WW3 scenario, where Russia is well protected by anti-air missiles. The “big guns” I am speaking of are big bombs, you and I seem to have our own beliefs on wether the Russians possess such massive bombs that are below Nuclear grade. Let me try to persuade you on Russia’s ability to produce these bombs. Some here mentioned that those bombs might be to expensive for Russia to produce and use as it costs “millions”. The US dropped its own version of “the mother of all bombs” in Afghanistan in 2017, all 21,000 pounds of it:

This bomb was first tested in 2003, which means the Russians likely heard about it and went to work, just how much does each of these bombs cost to make? Not much

$170,000. With $1 billion the Russians can have as many as 5,800 of these in their arsenal:

Last edited:
Ukrainian missiles struck the Russian warship Moscow, Maxim Marchenko, the head of Odesa’s military forces, said on Telegram. Russia’s Defense Ministry said hours later “a fire” on the ship had caused ammunition to explode, according to the Russian state news agency Tass. It said that the crew had evacuated from the “seriously damaged” ship and the cause of the fire was under investigation.

(NY Times live updates)
The TELs for the Neptune were delivered prior to this Russian invasion, but not the missiles themselves. My memory is the missiles were due to start delivery in April. Checking my diary .... it is now April. Whether this really was a Neptune strike is unclear, but it seems likely from the details/rumours.

One hit from something like a Neptune onto a vessel like the Moskva would ordinarily be a mission-kill, but not necessarily sink it. Generally ones fires a few in order to overwhelm the defences. Rumour is that two hit.

However it is quite common for a warship of this size to then roll over and sink during subsequent onboard firefighting / damage control operations. This is due to something called free surface effect which is a real problem when trying to deal with a fire onboard a ship. Very few warships are large enough to have significant longitudinal watertight subdivisions (as opposed to transverse ones) and the fire-fighting water then inevitably gathers at one side of the vessel and rolls it over. This is both a dynamic and a static effect, and is a real problem for damage control efforts.

So the accounts of a fire followed by rolling over and sinking, and various ammunition detonations sound very plausible.

We don't know how many of the big missiles the Moskva had left. These are really intended as anti-ship missiles but the Russians have been using them in the anti-land mode. My impression is that the Russians must have been reloading their ships as my mental tally is that they've now shot more than their initial loads from their fleets in the Black Sea / SEa of Azov and Caspian. Even accounting for reloads in port (not a casual thing btw) they've got to be running out of missiles in their inventory. But even using these missiles in that way is a sign of weakness, that is the wrong way to use these ships.

The Ukraine clearly has real-time maritime targetting worked out. This was a co-ordinated Bayraktar TB2 drone and missile attack. Getting sensor-to-shooter networked links working in real time in the maritime environment is a holy grail for navy people. This was an area where the UK invested a lot of its training & support to the Ukraine over the last several years, and the US focus was more in some other areas.

The latest US arms package announced yesterday includes a USV unmanned surface vessel. That is primarily intended as a sensor platform with more persistence than a TB2, and will complicate the Russian naval defensive equation further. The package also includes more helicopters, thought to be Mi8 Hips mostly, which indirectly indicates that some were delivered previously, likely in the first weeks.

Last edited:
There has been quite a bit of chatter about Russia not being able to control the Ukrainian airspace, the reason behind this isn’t because the Russians don’t have the expertise or weapons to do it. The problem was that Russia miscalculated Ukraine, and as a result, shot less short range missiles than was required to take out vital infrastructure, which ruined their own plans to invade. For an invading army to be successful, the first 10 days of the war is most critical, within that 10-day window, the invading army still has the element of surprise, and can either hack, bomb or take down enemy infrastructure before sending in its jets to take out other units so foot soldiers don’t have to worry about being bombed on the way. Beyond 10 days your adversary will mobilize to setup defenses to deter the invading army (which is what we are seeing in Ukraine).

The root of the problem for Russia is that it planned for this war to end within 3-5 days, they did not foresee the need for using as much short range ballistic missiles when entering into Ukraine from the getgo to take down critical infrastructure/roads/airports etc., which explains why only 160 short range missiles were sent into Ukraine.

The article you link does not say that nor does it suggest anything of the sort. The sort of explanation you give (miscalculation of Ukraine being the primary cause of Russia's air force not being able to take air superiority) no longer held water by the time the war reached the second week. Now more than a month into it, that explanation holds even less water.

Here's an analysis by RUSI 2 weeks in that suggests the only viable remaining explanation is: "the VKS lacks the institutional capacity to plan, brief and fly complex air operations at scale"
An initial analysis of the possible reasons for this identified potential Russian difficulties with deconfliction between ground-based surface-to-air missile (SAM) batteries, a lack of precision-guided munitions and limited numbers of pilots with the requisite expertise to conduct precise strikes in support of initial ground operations due to low average VKS flying hours. These factors all remain relevant, but are no longer sufficient in themselves to explain the anaemic VKS activity as the ground invasion continues into its second week. Russian fast jets have conducted only limited sorties in Ukrainian airspace, in singles or pairs, always at low altitudes and mostly at night to minimise losses from Ukrainian man-portable air defence systems (MANPADS) and ground fire.

The Only Currently Viable Explanation​

While the early VKS failure to establish air superiority could be explained by lack of early warning, coordination capacity and sufficient planning time, the continued pattern of activity suggests a more significant conclusion: that the VKS lacks the institutional capacity to plan, brief and fly complex air operations at scale. There is significant circumstantial evidence to support this, admittedly tentative, explanation.

The 160 missiles is not nearly enough to take out the Ukrianian infrastructure and gain air superiority. It was enough, however to take out Ukraine’s first line of defense in the front lines. Once the Russians entered Ukraine, Putin predicted that either the Ukrainians would throw down their weapons, or welcome the Russian troops, neither happened.

To get a better understanding of how countries can gain air superiority we can examine the war in Iraq. Before entering Iraq, the US fired anywhere between 1,700-2,300 short range missiles (about 600 kilometers in range) which is about 10 times more missiles than Russia fired into Ukraine to commence the war. Keep in mind that Iraq was nowhere near heavily defended as Ukraine is today. And to make matters worse for the Russians, Ukraine has been stashing up Russian anti-air missiles that work exceptionally well (Russia has some of the best anti-air defenses on the planet). Ironically, the Russians couldn’t defeat its own anti-air equipment.

I suspect the reason behind Russia not firing as much short range missiles to gain air superiority (AS) also stems from lessons learned in Iraq. In order to gain AS we have to understand where those 2k missiles will go. All 2,000 shorties would have been needed to take out anti-air missile systems, airports, etc. but what our military doesn’t like to talk about is the fact that those missiles will also take out important infrastructure such as manufacturing (to prevent Iraq/Ukraine from rebuilding or refurbishing equipments), they would have to also take out the Ukrainian electrical grid, water supply, etc. This move would have been catastrophic and would likely mean millions of lives will perish in Ukraine. Some here might think the number of lives perishing from 2,000 shorties is an over-estimation, but you’ll have to ask yourself how many Iraqis actually died from our campaign in Iraq? That estimation goes as high as 1.2-1.5 million deaths. This may shock some of you but lots and I mean lots (over 500,000 women and children died in Iraq) due to our 2,000 missiles sent to take down critical infrastructure.
Sorry, I would have to ask you for sources for your estimation of civilian deaths from just the missiles. The Iraq Body Count has about 4000 civilian deaths for the entire first 3 months of 2003.
Iraq Body Count
This includes body counts that come from a variety of sources (including hospital counts and deaths from ground attacks, as well as bomb attacks).
Incidents :: Iraq Body Count
I'm not entirely sure what your point is here. Are you saying Russia not firing as much missiles in the early days was because they were showing mercy to the Ukrainian population and infrastructure that might impact civilians? If so, the early reports strongly dispute this assessment, given they hit civilian targets in the first few days, as well as pipelines:
Ukraine said on Saturday that Russian forces blew up a Kharkiv gas pipeline on Saturday. Meanwhile, the U.S. and several allies touted a plan to restrict Russia’s financial capabilities.
Earlier in the day Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said Kyiv had managed to repel Russian attacks overnight and that his army remained in control of the capital. Ukraine said Russian missiles hit an apartment building in Kyiv as Russian troops closed in.
Russia hits Kharkiv gas pipeline, allies devise plan for SWIFT restrictions
Note also although right now given the war is ongoing, so it is hard to get accurate death counts, the Ukrainian government is estimating 23k+ deaths at this point just 1.5 months in (most of them in Mariupol, which is one of the clearest example of the "mercy" Russia has shown). This is the civilian death count of two years in Iraq.
Casualties of the Russo-Ukrainian War - Wikipedia

I would also like a source where you got 1700-2300 short ranged missiles were fired before ground forces entered Iraq. 1700+ sorties you likely are instead referring to in Iraq also included 504 mid-long range cruise missiles, and also included bombs dropped from planes, which disputes your assessment of short range missiles being the critical factor (where are you getting this assessment?):
21 Mar 03 (1800Z). A-Hour, coalition Air Forces begin large-scale air strikes against Iraq.
o Over 1700 air sorties (including 504 TLAM and CALCM cruise missiles)
https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/report/2003/uscentaf_oif_report_30apr2003.pdf
In all, 1,300 missiles and bombs were dropped on Iraq, most of them in Baghdad. Eyewitnesses said no residences in Iraq's capital appeared to have been hit, but there have been no official assessments yet on whether civilians were caught in the fierce bombardment.
Ground forces entered at the same time:
As bombs fell on Baghdad, coalition ground forces advanced quickly through the weakly defended southern desert of Iraq. Army airborne units and Marines moved with orders to attack Iraqi command posts around Nasiriya, softening the way for more troops to move north up the Tigris and Euphrates rivers toward Baghdad.
A NATION AT WAR: AN OVERVIEW: MARCH 21, 2003; Bombarding Baghdad, Deaths in Battle, and Rising Support for Bush (Published 2003)
Keep in mind we had the stealth F117 bombing too:
F117 stealth fighters, which carry two 2,000-pound bombs apiece, also were involved in the strikes, though apparently on a target other than Saddam.
CNN.com - U.S. launches cruise missiles at Saddam - Mar. 20, 2003
This is the primary reason why I think most of us here don’t understand the cost of a World War 3 scenario on human lives, especially civilians when water supplies get bombed, contaminated, and people freezing to death due to lack of electricity/power. Food supplies will be disrupted and the affects of it will be felt beyond Europe, especially in poorer countries like Africa, Egypt, etc. hence, my low ball estimate of 30-50 million lives lost. The high cost of civilian lives can also be seen in the Vietnam war, we talk a lot about the 52,000 US soldiers that perished, what we don’t talk about is the estimated 1.3-3 million Vietnamese soldier and civilians who lost their lives (those numbers will pale in comparison to a world war).
Sure, if you include indirect disruptions in other countries, death counts may be much higher, but most people did not read your initial comment as such, but rather about direct deaths. However, if you use an indirect standard, the death counts related to the current Ukraine war would also be much higher (as there is a huge disruption in oil and grain supply worldwide currently) and also overlap with the WW3 scenario (which would lower the marginal cost difference of escalating the current war to such).

Last edited:
The article you link does not say that nor does it suggest anything of the sort. The sort of explanation you give (miscalculation of Ukraine being the primary cause of Russia's air force not being able to take air superiority) no longer held water by the time the war reached the second week. Now more than a month into it, that explanation holds even less water.
@Stop crazy:

No the article does not state that, just because the article doesn’t say that doesn’t mean it isn’t true:

I thought this would be common knowledge amongst people who lived through the Iraq war. The US didn’t call it’s initial campaign in Iraq “operation fun in Iraq,” they called it “Operation Shock and Awe…” I’ll let what “shock and awe” means to the imagination…
The heavy missile/bombing of Iraq was later brought up in the newspaper, which the military didn’t deny:

The Washington Times reported a “problem of expectations,”noting that “the Pentagon did not dispute a news report that the allies would drop 3,000 precision guided munitions in the war’s first 24 hours. In reality, after four days of bombing, the coalition had dropped 2,000 PGMs, averaging 500 every 24 hours.”

This is compared to 160-400 missiles sent into
Ukraine. We can easily see how air superiority can be achieved through the first 10 days…. Everyone here and the media was talking about how critical first 10 days would be… now you know why…. you really have to go after the infrastructure. The Russians didn’t do it as well as the US because they thought the Ukrainian would just roll over.
Sorry, I would have to ask you for sources for your estimation of civilian deaths from just the missiles. The Iraq Body Count has about 4000 civilian deaths for the entire first 3 months of 2003.
Iraq Body Count
This includes body counts that come from a variety of sources (including hospital counts and deaths from ground attacks, as well as bomb attacks).
4,000 is too low, especially when the water system was contaminated. Here’s a lowball estimate:

No one knows with certainty how many people have been killed and wounded in Iraq since the 2003 United States invasion. However, we know that between 184,382 and 207,156 civilianshave died from direct war related violence caused by the U.S., its allies, the Iraqi military and police, and opposition forces from the time of the invasion through October 2019.

Here’s a list of estimates from wiki with various entities:

Population-based studies produce estimates of the number of Iraq War casualties ranging from 151,000 violent deaths as of June 2006 (per the Iraq Family Health Survey) to 1,033,000 excess deaths (per the 2007 Opinion Research Business (ORB) survey). Other survey-based studies covering different time-spans find 461,000 total deaths (over 60% of them violent) as of June 2011 (per PLOS Medicine 2013), and 655,000 total deaths (over 90% of them violent) as of June 2006 (per the 2006 Lancet study). Body counts counted at least 110,600 violent deaths as of April 2009 (Associated Press). The Iraq Body Count project documents 185,000–208,000 violent civilian deaths through February 2020 in their table. All estimates of Iraq War casualties are disputed.[4][5]

I’m a bit of a history guy, and remember very vividly sitting through a lecture from a university professor speaking of the 500,000 deaths due to water contamination alone.

Here’s an article on how the US was could be committing war crimes with its attack on Iraqi water supplies:

The point I’m making here is that the US with its 2,000 missiles left no stone unturned. They really went hard on Operation Shock and Awe, something that the Russians didn’t do because they thought they were going to be met with “roses”.

After looking though these articles, I think you’re surmising 4,000 “immediate civilian deaths” vs 500,000 “eventual” deaths caused from water contamination is where we are disagreeing. This is like saying well, the initial Russian invasion didn’t kill much civilians, but what counts is how many civilians will eventually die due to starvation, lack of water… for the Iraqis who lives in the desert, water is a primary focus, after electricity.

I'm not entirely sure what your point is here. Are you saying Russia not firing as much missiles in the early days was because they were showing mercy to the Ukrainian population and infrastructure that might impact civilians? If so, the early reports strongly dispute this assessment, given they hit civilian targets in the first few days, as well as pipelines:

Note also although right now given the war is ongoing, so it is hard to get accurate death counts, the Ukrainian government is estimating 23k+ deaths at this point just 1.5 months in (most of them in Mariupol, which is one of the clearest example of the "mercy" Russia has shown). This is the civilian death count of two years in Iraq.

I would also like a source where you got 1700-2300 short ranged missiles were fired before ground forces entered Iraq. 1700+ sorties you mention in Iraq also included 504 mid-long range cruise missiles, and also included bombs dropped from planes, which disputes your assessment of short range missiles being the critical factor (where are you getting this assessment?):

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/report/2003/uscentaf_oif_report_30apr2003.pdf
See my articles from above, 2,000 shorties within a few days, higher estimates put it at 3,000. Much of this was talked about in the media back then. US military commanders still talk about it till this day, you’ll just have to hunt down the material as I’m not going to work overtime for you tonight.

Although I will admit my memory might be off as far as when US troops entered Iraq and had boots on the ground, our troops could have entered with boots on ground right after the few hundred missiles were sent, but the 2,000 number is something I was pretty shocked to read about for the first 4-5 days of the war. During the bombings our troops really raced towards the capital after taking out critical infrastructure, which includes electric grid and water supplies. The Russians tried somewhat to take over the nuclear plants in Ukraine, but it’s very different than “operation shock and awe” which went after everything. Highest estimate I read about was 400 missiles by day 4-5 for Russian invasion.

A NATION AT WAR: AN OVERVIEW: MARCH 21, 2003; Bombarding Baghdad, Deaths in Battle, and Rising Support for Bush (Published 2003)

Sure, if you include indirect disruptions, death counts may be much higher, but most people did not read your initial comment as such, but rather about direct deaths. However, if you use an indirect standard, the death counts related to the current Ukraine war would also be much higher (as there is a huge disruption in oil and grain supply worldwide currently).
Read my post from this convo above, 500,000 eventual deaths from water issues throughout the war. 500,000 immediate deaths would be too many. The estimate I gave could also be above 500,000, the fact and matter is no one can know for certain. The point here is that war is going to cause unimaginable suffering, which is why you have the high estimates between 1-1.3 million deaths, for Vietnam its up to 3 million deaths.

Some people think World War 3 will be a walk in the park, it won’t, especially with Russian anti-air defenses that has been put in the country. To drive the point home: I’m against war, I’m against anything that can lead to WW3 due to the unimaginable suffering. I’m fine with sending Ukrainians the type of help we’re sending now even if it takes another decade of resources. Just don’t send things like Jet fighters which likely are red lines defined with either Russia or China.

Last edited:
@Stop crazy:
I’m fine with sending Ukrainians the type of help we’re sending now even if it takes another decade of resources. Just don’t send things like Jet fighters which likely are red lines defined with either Russia or China.

How about sending them the money so they can purhcase jets themselves from anywhere they like?

Here's an analysis by RUSI 2 weeks in that suggests the only viable remaining explanation is: "the VKS lacks the institutional capacity to plan, brief and fly complex air operations at scale"

Iraq Body Count

I would also like a source where you got 1700-2300 short ranged missiles were fired before ground forces entered Iraq. 1700+ sorties you likely are instead referring to in Iraq also included 504 mid-long range cruise missiles, and also included bombs dropped from planes, which disputes your assessment of short range missiles being the critical factor (where are you getting this assessment?):

Sure, if you include indirect disruptions in other countries, death counts may be much higher, but most people did not read your initial comment as such, but rather about direct deaths. However, if you use an indirect standard, the death counts related to the current Ukraine war would also be much higher (as there is a huge disruption in oil and grain supply worldwide currently) and also overlap with the WW3 scenario (which would lower the marginal cost difference of escalating the current war to such).
I appreciate you taking the time to post the excellent rejoinder to his post which are full of disinformation and resemble a string of half truths the whole of which is ...well 1/2x 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2 and on and on = a post that is not a truth

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
As i read tea leaves it seems somewhat likely your home country and Finland may join NATO. What do you think?
Finland will apply for sure. That is not an if. And that will happen within weeks. And it's looking more and more likely that Sweden will as well. I'm going to guess that Sweden will apply at the same time as Finland.

Our prime minister
image-10.png

Edit: and for reference, the government

13-3-11127510.jpeg

Last edited:
Russians might be firing that much now, but it comes back to the first 10 days of the war. The US was able to gain air superiority in Iraq within its first 10 days as they were able to hack as well as destroy the Iraqi infrastructure by sending over 2,000 missiles within the first several days, whereas Russia sent less than 200 and immediately went in. As stated earlier the US totally destroyed the Iraqi vital transportation, grid and water supplies, which was why an estimated 1.1-1.3 million Iraqis died as a result of our military campaign. Whereas the Russians did not go after the Ukrainian infrastructure system as hard, which gave us time to reinforce as well as build up our defenses for Ukraine, even allowing time for Elon to send Satellite dishes...

One of the reasons this discussion has gone a bit haywire is that I'm not sure you understand that US and Russian doctrine are very, very different and they always have been. The US has always been fairly intolerant of high combat losses unless necessary and the Russia approach has been that life is cheap and they just throw bodies at the enemy until they win or they don't. With their population falling like a rock, it's a very bad thing to do today, even if the leadership doesn't care about the lives.

American political leadership can be overly optimistic about the enemy, but the US military always errs on the side of over estimation of the enemy and pessimism. It's easier to deal with crushing the enemy like breaking an egg with a sledgehammer (as was done in the 1991 war) than to try and explain high personnel losses.

Many years ago I read a story about a German soldier who was taken prisoner in Italy in WW II. He had fought the British, Americans, and Russians and his interrogators were interested of his assessments of each. He said that the British were very methodical and liked to stick to a plan no matter how many problems they run into. He said their individual soldiers were very high quality and they were a dangerous foe, though their rigidity sometimes led to failures when the Germans decided to do something the British didn't expect.

He said the Russians were fanatic on both defense and offense. Their commanders would plant their troops in one place on defense and they were told they couldn't leave unless their commander told them to leave or they were dead. On offense they just kept coming at the enemy until there were not enough left or they won.

When asked about fighting Americans he paused. He said that he had encountered Americans in battle, and they fought well, but most of the time he couldn't see them through the artillery barrages and bombs dropping on them. The American doctrine was to bomb the heck out the enemy and then send in the troops to mop up.

As part of this steel wall approach the US became very, very good at combined arms. Other countries have learned since, but the US integrates together everything and allows all units to communicate with one another.

Where the US was weak, they fixed it and became masters at it. Before WW II the Japanese trained their carrier pilots to work together in multi-deck strike groups. Their six fleet carriers were combined into 3 divisions and the pair of carriers in each division worked as a team. To launch a strike package one carrier would launch torpedo bombers and the other would launch dive bombers. Then for the second wave they would switch. For the Pearl Harbor attack they trained to coordinate all six carriers into one strike group.

The US had not trained for multi-deck operations and each carrier sent their strike packages individually. This almost led to disaster at Midway. Halsey placed the US carriers where the Japanese didn't expect them, but when the Japanese were spotted, the three US carriers launched on their own and each strike commander made their own decision about where the Japanese had gone since the last sighting. The CAG (Carried Air Group Commander) for the Hornet Stanhope Ring was an idiot and sent his dive bombers off in a completely wrong direction. His torpedo squadron commander Lt Commander John Waldron disobeyed orders and flew where he though the Japanese were. He got his torpedo bombers wiped out, but in doing so he pulled the Japanese fighters down to sea level.

The Enterprise's strike package and the Yorktown's ventured in the general vicinity of the Japanese, but one went too far north and the other too far south. They just happened to realize they were off and turn in the correct direction. The Yorktown's strike group arrived on the north end of the Japanese carriers just as the Enterprise's arrived to the south. Each had two dive bomber squadrons, but instead of sending one squadron after each carrier, they only attacked one each. The CAG for the Enterprise had very little dive bombing experience. He was leading one squadron and Command Best was leading the other. Best realized that they were making a mistake and shifted his vic of three planes to the other carrier. The bulk of the Enterprise's dive bombers pummeled the Kaga into a burning wreck, but Best got lucky and all three bombers in his vic scored on the Akagi. Best put his bomb in the center of the deck starting a massive fire and his other two bombers scored near misses, one of which fatally jammed the rudder.

The Yorktown pummeled the Soryu leaving the Hiryu undamaged. The commander of the Hiryu was suicidally aggressive and his pilots managed to cripple the Yorktown later in the day. An afternoon strike crippled the Hiryu and she was scuttled the next day.

The USN got very very lucky and started developing both better coordination of defenses as well as offenses. By the end of the war the US was conducting massive multiple deck strikes with precision and their defense directing from ships became excellent.

US doctrine thinks big with complex coordination. When planning an offensive operation, it involves massive expenditure of munitions and then the ground troops go in once everything that can shoot back has been pounded flat. The US doctrinially assumes a potential battlefield opponent is going to be very capable and plans accordingly. Where the US has fallen down many times (Vietnam, Iraq, and Afghanistan) is underestimating insurgencies. The US is very bad at fighting insurgencies.

Russian planning for this war was very amateurish. Their military does not plan like the US military does. All assumptions were that the Ukrainians were going to mostly just roll over and give up. They didn't attack many infrastructure targets in the early going because they thought it was going to be over quickly. Why destroy infrastructure in a country that is essentially going to be incorporated into yours if you don't have to?

All sorts of bad decisions stemmed from bad assumptions. Very few military analysts inside or outside of Russia thought that Ukraine would be able to stand up to Russia for more than a few days. Some western leaders who had worked with the Ukrainian military the last 8 years knew the Ukrainians were capable, but even their own people weren't listening to them.

The Russians never had much of a chance in a major fight because they suck at combined arms. They don't really train for it, their communications are not set up to do it, and they have never been very strong at coordinated combined arms. The BTG concept was an attempt to put combined arms in a small package that could hopefully all work together within the unit, but none of the troops got any training in actually working with their new unit concept.

The BTG concept is a great unit structure for small, professional militaries like some of the smaller countries in western Europe. But making all those different weapons types work together requires lots of training and a command structure that completely understands all the elements under its command and work out how to use them effectively.

The Russians threw together these units without any thought about how they would work cohesively. As a result, a lot of their equipment was destroyed and a lot of their troops killed. I've seen videos of them in combat and even their VDV "elites" run around like chickens with their heads cut off.

The US overwhelmed it’s adversary the first 10 days to ensure its troops can go in for the knockout punch while protecting them from the air. Not sending in thousands of missiles to strike at Ukraines infrastructure immediately exposed Putin’s ground campaign, which is why they’re suffering heavy loses. I remember listening to this US military commander speak of how vital the first 10 days are, and that window was closing on day 8 when Russia was still advancing and losing large quantities of its troops on the ground. The highest estimate I’ve heard was 400 missiles the first 2-3 days of the war, well below what the US would have done to ensure protection from the air.

Yes it’s a desperate move as they’ve lost that 10 day window to knock out the Ukrainian grid. Infrastructure is defined as: transportation, roads, airports, electric grid as well as water supplies. The US doesn’t talk about destroying Iraq’s water supply because it’s a PR nightmare. Had the Russians sent missiles to take out Ukraine’s water supply, can you imagine the amount of deaths we will be seeing today? The Russians saw no reason to do this at the commence of war, with hindsight, they would probably do things a bit more aggressively now to gain air superiority.

The Russians never considered it before the war started. They were doctrinely blind to it.

From what I read in the past, Russians train 1/2 the amount of hours as NATO pilots. This is good for NATO soldiers, but it doesn’t mean Russians are incapable, it just means the Russian pilots aren’t able to operate under conditions that aren’t favorable. If we send our pilots into Russia without air superiority, we’d get shot down too, even if we train 10 times as hard. In fact, we lost a lot of pilots to less equipped groups of communists in Vietnam, there are stories of how groups of Vietnamese peasants were able to shoot US warplanes with machine guns under the right conditions.

They spend 1/2 the time of NATO pilots in the cockpit, but all NATO pilots spend vast amounts of time on the ground training. They have many, many hours of simulator training as well as lots of time evaluating and honing their skills. The Russians do very little of that.

Another thing is NATO pilots train to work in groups ranging from a couple of planes up to vast, coordinated strike groups. The Russians have little or not training for any operations more than a few planes in a strike.

Communications for NATO pilots can range all over the map. They can communicate with airborne command posts, back to base, infantry and tank units on the ground, as well as with each other. Part of their training involves dealing with communication overload and how to triage information.

Russian aircraft are designed to communicate with other planes in their unit that are airborne, but otherwise the only other communication point is back to their base. It vastly reduces their flexibility in combat. They have no idea what is going on on the ground and if troops on the ground are trying to call in an air strike, it has to bounce through several channels before it can happen.

When the Germans inherited a bunch of ex-Soviet planes when the country reunified, they were initially exited to get more planes, but when they evaluated the Russian planes they realized they would take a lot of rework to incorporate them into NATO command and control structures. They were going to need a lot of new avionics.

One reason the Russians may not want the Ukrainians to get NATO MiGs is I think the NATO MiGs have been updated to NATO standards and adapted to carry NATO weaponry, which would make the missile supply problem easy for NATO countries.

In general you need troops, a lot of troops to fight wars. But with technology today, I would not send foot soldiers into Russia knowing they have the lines of defense ready for us. As General Kelly describes, the Russians have layers upon layers upon layers of anti-air weapons setup in Russia. Without air superiority, troops will get decimated, breaking through the Russian lines layers of anti aircraft defense won’t be easy as some are expecting here in this forum.

I doubt anybody is seriously considering sending troops into Russia.

Regarding Chinese chip making capabilities, people on this forum and elsewhere think China is trying to retake Taiwan because of its chip industry, this couldn’t be further from the truth, please read this article:

Just five years ago, China’s semiconductor device sales were $13 billion, accounting for only 3.8% of global chip sales. In 2020, however, the Chinese semiconductor industry registered an unprecedented annual growth rate of 30.6% to reach $39.8 billion in total annual sales, according to an SIA analysis [1]. The jump in growth helped China capture 9% of the global semiconductor market in 2020, surpassing Taiwan for two consecutive years and closely following Japan and the EU, which each took 10% of market share. Sales data for 2021 are not yet available.

My degree is in Electronic Engineering and I have been working specifically in the IC industry since 2010. The array of chips and their capabilities and intended rolls is vast. Saying a chip is a chip is like equating Russian MREs with the food from a Michelin 5 star restaurant. It's all food right?

The ICs that get the headlines are the most complex, and most expensive ICs. The US is a world leader in designing these devices, but so is Taiwan. Taiwan produces top tier devices.

But just like almost nobody eats at top restaurants every day, the vast majority of ICs are well behind the bleeding edge. You hear about the Apple M1 and the AMD Ryzen, but one of the most common processors in the world are derivatives of the Intel 8051 that was introduced in 1981. It's off patent and many companies make versions of it. Most are integrated into ICs that do something specific like a USB interface controller.

There are even more ICs that don't have microprocessors. Those are used everywhere too.

China produces vast amounts of the older chips. They do produce a few newer chips, but not many.

For most industrial applications, the chips are custom made for a specific purpose. Often there is only one source for that chip. I was involved years ago with speccing out a part for a product and we were talking to Texas Instruments to make it for us. It was an involved process and they would have been the only supplier.

Russia was dependent on chips made by a company in Germany. They could either redesign their hardware to use a Chinese part off the shelf that might be close, or they would have to contract with a Chinese company to make it for them. Russia has been hemorrhaging the people with the technical skills to make the changes needed. Even if the personnel needed are still in place, the process is going to take at least a year and probably a couple to get the right parts in place to start production again.

Claims the Russians can just source form Japan is like suggesting that car makers solve the shortage of li-ion batteries with AA alkaline batteries. It's not going to work. You could redesign an electric car to take a different battery package (with a delay), but you're not going to substitute alkaline batteries for li-ion.

This is why the US and Biden is trying its earnest to prevent China from entering and altering the course of this war.

The real concern with China is that China has license built a lot of Russian weapons and bought Russian weapons. They could supply some weapons to Russia to replace losses. Any concerns about them getting Russian defense production back online is going to take years to achieve.

I have no doubt that NATO can take out Russia in a prolonged war, what I am saying is that it won’t be as easy as what many people here are speculating.

Also I watched the video you posted, the speaker makes very good points about Russia’s failing ground campaign, and I largely agree with your assessment that it sent in it’s A team. Whether that team can operate more efficiently had Russia mirrored the US Iraqi campaign and send in thousands more missiles on the first 10 days is anyone’s guess. But it sure will be much easier with air superiority, the problem I am posing isn’t the ground campaign, it’s the large bombs that can potentially be deployed at NATO if they tried to enter Russian territory in a WW3 scenario, where Russia is well protected by anti-air missiles. The “big guns” I am speaking of are big bombs, you and I seem to have our own beliefs on wether the Russians possess such massive bombs that are below Nuclear grade. Let me try to persuade you on Russia’s ability to produce these bombs. Some here mentioned that those bombs might be to expensive for Russia to produce and use as it costs “millions”. The US dropped its own version of “the mother of all bombs” in Afghanistan in 2017, all 21,000 pounds of it:

From what I've read all the videos of Russia's FOABs never show it being carried by an aircraft or dropped. They may not have managed to package it into a package that can be conveniently carried in a plane.

This bomb was first tested in 2003, which means the Russians likely heard about it and went to work, just how much does each of these bombs cost to make? Not much

$170,000. With $1 billion the Russians can have as many as 5,800 of these in their arsenal:

Once the tooling is in place, making something like a very large bomb, especially a dumb one is cheap. But they may have never built the tooling. They may have tested some prototypes and decided for one reason or another not to put it into production. Their defense budget is so small they have to be careful about where they put their procurement rubles. What we know of their orders for their newest weapons, they tend to be ordered in very small batches.

The Russians are very secretive about their defense industry. Much more so than the US. The hurdles to get the bomb from prototype to production may have competed with other priorities and it fell off the bottom of the wish list? Or somebody decided their pet project took priority, or something else.

They may not have the means to make more of them beyond more hand made prototypes. We don't know.

In a war with NATO, they would probably have a problem delivering them to NATO targets, even if they do have a delivery system. Their small strategic bomber force will be very vulnerable.

The TELs for the Neptune were delivered prior to this Russian invasion, but not the missiles themselves. My memory is the missiles were due to start delivery in April. Checking my diary .... it is now April. Whether this really was a Neptune strike is unclear, but it seems likely from the details/rumours.

One hit from something like a Neptune onto a vessel like the Moskva would ordinarily be a mission-kill, but not necessarily sink it. Generally ones fires a few in order to overwhelm the defences. Rumour is that two hit.

However it is quite common for a warship of this size to then roll over and sink during subsequent onboard firefighting / damage control operations. This is due to something called free surface effect which is a real problem when trying to deal with a fire onboard a ship. Very few warships are large enough to have significant longitudinal watertight subdivisions (as opposed to transverse ones) and the fire-fighting water then inevitably gathers at one side of the vessel and rolls it over. This is both a dynamic and a static effect, and is a real problem for damage control efforts.

So the accounts of a fire followed by rolling over and sinking, and various ammunition detonations sound very plausible.

From what I read that class of cruiser was designed with the main magazine in the middle of the ship rather that forward and astern like most surface ships. And missiles like the Neptune are programed to aim for the center of the ship. If the ship was maneuvering the first hit may have been somewhere else, but the second one probably hit amidship which most likely penetrated the magazine.

The reports said the cruiser took on a heavy list almost immediately and sank fairly quickly. It's possible it broke up and one portion remained afloat and on fire for a bit.

An interesting bit of trivia, one of Moskva's sisters is abandoned in Mykolaiv The four built cruisers of the class were built there and the fourth one hadn't been completed when the USSR broke up. The Ukrainians said it would be sold for scrap in 2021, but that hasn't happened yet.

Some people think World War 3 will be a walk in the park, it won’t, especially with Russian anti-air defenses that has been put in the country. To drive the point home: I’m against war, I’m against anything that can lead to WW3 due to the unimaginable suffering. I’m fine with sending Ukrainians the type of help we’re sending now even if it takes another decade of resources. Just don’t send things like Jet fighters which likely are red lines defined with either Russia or China.

Published Russian nuclear doctrine calls for a first strike if conventional ground forces enter Russia and pose any threat to major Russian population centers. I strongly doubt that any war plan involves NATO or anybody else entering Russia. Reducing their military assets to a point where they have no conventional capability to harm any neighbors would be just fine for all their potential enemies.

You are talking about a scenario the Russians are paranoid about, but nobody is contemplating.

Finland will apply for sure. That is not an if. And that will happen within weeks. And it's looking more and more likely that Sweden will as well. I'm going to guess that Sweden will apply at the same time as Finland.

One of Russia's stated goals in this war was to weaken NATO's influence. It's strengthened NATO's bonds, caused Germany to up its defense budget and start rearming, and it's going to get Sweden and Finland into NATO. Both countries have good professional militaries and Finland in NATO is a nightmare for Russia, it puts NATO right next door to St Petersburg and forces Russia to defend a new very long border.

More sabre rattling to try and scare off Finland and Sweden. They could probably move some existing nukes closer to the border, but I'm not sure what that really means in the real world. They probably are going to come out of this war very cash strapped and building more weapons is going to be a process of robbing peter to pay paul for a long time.

Russia is also going to be paranoid about internal conflict coming out of this war and that will probably be where most of their military budget goes.

If it rolled on its side, the ship is toast. It sounds like one of the missiles set off a magazine explosion. That's usually a ship killer.

Apparently this video is making the rounds of Russian social media and it's really scaring a lot of people. The Russians can be superstitious.

She is depicting an ancient Ukrainian goddess.

"She is depicting an ancient Ukrainian goddess."

-Thanks for clearing that up! It's a bizarre video, and I'm wondering exactly what the heck she was wearing on her head.

More sabre rattling to try and scare off Finland and Sweden. They could probably move some existing nukes closer to the border, but I'm not sure what that really means in the real world. They probably are going to come out of this war very cash strapped and building more weapons is going to be a process of robbing peter to pay paul for a long time.

Russia is also going to be paranoid about internal conflict coming out of this war and that will probably be where most of their military budget goes.
There's already a nuclear base in Murmansk, which is 160km from Finnish border.

Putins saber rattling affects only those Finnish politicians that are already Putins puppets. Thankfully only a few of those around anymore.

UPDATE: Seems that Moskva sunk. Siri translation from Russian of a telegram post

❗️According to preliminary information, the flagship of the Black Sea Fleet cruiser "Moscow" sank.
[..]
Of course, to be confirmed
It seems that the Russians managed to save Moskva...
Badly damaged but still floating and moving towards Sevastopol. Certainly at least mission-kill; this puppy aint gonna be a factor anymore anytime soon (years likely)

• Helpful
Reactions: SwedishAdvocate