Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Held out much longer than most expected at Azovstal:

Ukraine’s military command declared an end to the "combat mission" at the Azovstal steel complex, where Ukrainian defenders had held out for weeks under Russian assault. The announcement carried a tone of finality, refering to the fighters as "heroes of our time" who would be "forever in history."
The announcement said that 53 seriously wounded servicemen were being taken to a medical facility in Novoazovsk, in the Russian-controlled part of Donetsk in eastern Ukraine, and that 211 other fighters had been taken to Olenivka, in Donetsk, to be returned to Ukrainian territory through an exchange.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/05/16/world/russia-ukraine-war-news

The Shia used to accuse Alawites of heresy.

Until Iran's clerics wanted an alliance. And said they were an offshoot of Shia.

Much like the Nazis gave the Japanese an Aryan ancestry.
The NAZIs also had a Croatian Muslim SS Division, the 13th Waffen SS Mountain division. There was also at least one Ukrainian SS Division, which I think was mentioned earlier in this thread. Also the Russian Kaminski Brigade. They could be flexible as long as they had troops who'd fight and die for them.

@wdolson I would caution about making any statement about oil demand and supply. Experts ability to predict price, supply and demand has been horrible. It's why traders can make fortunes. Right now there is enough oil. SA and UAE don't want to pump it. Just one little unexpected bit of supply could tip the market into a crash...say if Iran is given a green light to pump. Prior to Russias invasion and the pandemic Exxon and Chevron were on a tour trying to convince investors to fund their exploration projects. Exxon in particular is basically shutting itself. Neither were at all healthy and that's why investors have been so difficult to find. Once the tipping point becomes EU and USA aggregate oil demand falling year on year than the oil industry is going to have to change dramatically.

We'll see China become much more invested in the Middle East. SA in particular might tilt over to China as a backer. If it does so it will have to pick a side, Sunni vs Shia. Will be interesting...will be interesting.

Because of the war Biden has asked all the American producers, a fair bit shut in because of low prices before the war, to go to max production. It will take a while to get all the oil flowing again, but there will be a flood of American oil soon.

I don't see Saudi Arabia getting too chummy with China. They are savvy enough to know China's Belt and Road is not good for their partners and SA doesn't need any financial help. Additionally the SA military is completely adapted to using US equipment.

I don't think SA is pumping more oil right now because they can't physically do it. Over the last 10 years I've heard from people I know in the oil business that anyone in the business who knows the signs could see SA production was falling and they were doing secondary recovery on the quiet. They are keeping it quiet because their standing in the world is dependent on the world seeing them as one of the top producers.

When they can't cover their decline any longer, there will be a big shift in the oil market.

Oil has also been a politically manipulated commodity since the 80s. The US formed an alliance with SA, UAE, and Kuwait to turn the spigots on and off depending on which geo-political player the US wanted to punish at the time. If the USSR/Russia was the target, prices were low, and if China was the target prices were high. The pandemic broke the levers though and it has been free floating the last two years.

The last time the trigger flipped was 2014 when Russia invaded Crimea and Donbas. Nobody could figure out why oil prices were remaining high before then with so much American oil coming onto the market. The price of oil crashed a few weeks after Russia's move as SA, UAE, and Kuwait suddenly decided to flood the market with oil.

Trump's manipulation of SA during his presidency may have done some damage too, though I'm not sure.

Held out much longer than most expected at Azovstal:

Ukraine’s military command declared an end to the "combat mission" at the Azovstal steel complex, where Ukrainian defenders had held out for weeks under Russian assault. The announcement carried a tone of finality, refering to the fighters as "heroes of our time" who would be "forever in history."
The announcement said that 53 seriously wounded servicemen were being taken to a medical facility in Novoazovsk, in the Russian-controlled part of Donetsk in eastern Ukraine, and that 211 other fighters had been taken to Olenivka, in Donetsk, to be returned to Ukrainian territory through an exchange.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/05/16/world/russia-ukraine-war-news

Azozstal was the modern Corrigidor. It was never going to hold out long enough for the Ukrainians to retake Mariupol. The defenders held out a lot longer than I thought they would.

More parallels to Hitler.

Hitler wore military uniforms fairly often, but I don't think he ever gave himself military rank. It's also weird he made himself a brigadier general. Technically he is outranked by the top military commanders in the Russian Army. Most dictators who give themselves military rank make themselves high grand poo bah of the military or some other made up title.

Hitler wore military uniforms fairly often, but I don't think he ever gave himself military rank. It's also weird he made himself a brigadier general. Technically he is outranked by the top military commanders in the Russian Army. Most dictators who give themselves military rank make themselves high grand poo bah of the military or some other made up title.

I was thinking more of the title. Hitler micromanaged the war and took decision making away from the very competent General Staff.

In this case the Russian General Staff is incompetent and Putin is taking away their decision making ability. And making even more stupid decisions.

I was thinking more of the title. Hitler micromanaged the war and took decision making away from the very competent General Staff.

In this case the Russian General Staff is incompetent and Putin is taking away their decision making ability. And making even more stupid decisions.

Very true. In war time it is a comfort knowing the person at the top on the other side doesn't know what they are doing.

This looks like a pair of MT-LB armored personnel carriers. I saw elsewhere that the first one blundered into a minefield and the second one just kept coming.

The MT-LB only has 3-10mm of armor over most of the vehicle, probably thinnest on the bottom. Even an anti-personnel mine would probably destroy the vehicle and kill everyone inside.

One serious problem Russian personnel carriers have is they are very lightly armored. Much lighter than western personnel carriers. The Russian doctrine under which they were designed called for the use of tactical nukes to open up breaches in an enemy line and then the tanks, personnel carriers, and IFVs would pour through. Everything but the tanks have light armor and high radiation protection because they thought radiation was more of a hazard.

In Afghanistan troops tended to ride on the top of personnel carriers because the troops figured out pretty quickly that they were safer up there than inside. When a carrier got hit, anybody inside usually died pretty quickly. The light armor would spall and create more shrapnel than the munition that hit it.

The quality of Russian troops have degraded so much since the 80s that they haven't figured that out in this war.

True twice. The Shia Saudis are the indigenous clans that were displaced. They are mostly poor and powerless like the Shia majority in Iraq.

At the risk of going way O.T. It was my understanding that the Iraqi Shia majority was historically powerless. Since the Sunni dominated Bathist government fell, Shia control the government but the government has a lose control on the country. Shia Iran affiliated militias have a lot leverage in modern Iraq as well.

In Sunni government circles there has been fearful talk of a Shia Crescent stretching from Iran, Iraq, Syria and Hezbollah dominated Lebanon.

In rare public criticism of the conduct of Russia's military operations in Ukraine, a former senior Russian officer has warned on state television that the situation will get worse.

Col. Mikhail Khodarenok said on Monday’s edition of Rossiya One’s 60 Minutes show. "None of this is close to reality."

Khodarenok, a regular commentator in Russian media, also commented on Russia's broader isolation.

"Let's look at this situation as a whole from our overall strategic position," he said. "Let’s not swing missiles in Finland's direction – this just looks ridiculous. The biggest problem with our military and political situation is that we are in total geopolitical isolation. And the whole world is against us — even if we don’t want to admit it."

Khodarenok warned before the invasion started that it would be more difficult than many anticipated to wage war in Ukraine.

In an article in February, he said, "the degree of hatred (which, as you know, is the most effective fuel for armed struggle) in the neighboring republic towards Moscow is frankly underestimated. No one will meet the Russian army with bread, salt and flowers in Ukraine."

Expert claims that Russian forces will defeat Ukraine in a short period of time "have no serious grounds," he had said.

I would add that he will likely no longer be a commentator. Might not hear from him again. So true on his fuel for armed struggle comment.

Finland Minister of foreign affair has signed NATO application, and it will be delivered to Stoltenberg tomorrow.
Sweden's application will be delivered at the same time.
Finnish 'Public Service Broadcasting Corporation':

Last edited:
In rare public criticism of the conduct of Russia's military operations in Ukraine, a former senior Russian officer has warned on state television that the situation will get worse.

Col. Mikhail Khodarenok said on Monday’s edition of Rossiya One’s 60 Minutes show. "None of this is close to reality."

Khodarenok, a regular commentator in Russian media, also commented on Russia's broader isolation.

"Let's look at this situation as a whole from our overall strategic position," he said. "Let’s not swing missiles in Finland's direction – this just looks ridiculous. The biggest problem with our military and political situation is that we are in total geopolitical isolation. And the whole world is against us — even if we don’t want to admit it."

Khodarenok warned before the invasion started that it would be more difficult than many anticipated to wage war in Ukraine.

In an article in February, he said, "the degree of hatred (which, as you know, is the most effective fuel for armed struggle) in the neighboring republic towards Moscow is frankly underestimated. No one will meet the Russian army with bread, salt and flowers in Ukraine."

Expert claims that Russian forces will defeat Ukraine in a short period of time "have no serious grounds," he had said.

I would add that he will likely no longer be a commentator. Might not hear from him again. So true on his fuel for armed struggle comment.

One can only hope that his opinion is not an isolated one in Russia, and becomes more prevalent. Even if not prevalent to the point to remove Putin, prevalent enough to pressure him.

I saw this as authorized by the Kremlin. It is State TV after all.

It is preparing the Russian public for defeat. Or least radically lowering expectations to call some negotiated peace a win.

I read about this a little earlier today. This guy is a retired army officer who now does commentary on military matters on Russian TV, much like the regular guests on American cable news.

The WindOfChange letters have indicated for a month or more that there was growing dissent among the intelligence and military people. Quite a few had concluded this war was a lost cause and was going to lead to disaster and they were trying to figure out which path would lead to the smallest disaster. There are others in the military who are claiming the only reason Russia is losing is because the army is fighting with one hand tied behind its back and if they fully mobilized, then Russia could win.

There were some talking heads on Russian TV just before the May 9 celebrations that said that full mobilization was not in the cards because the Russian economy was incapable of making the switchover in anywhere near the time needed to win the war. A full mobilization would take 6 months to see any effect and more than a year to fully kick in and they need the extra troops and equipment in Ukraine a month ago to have any impact on the war.

Then this guy comes on who is a military expert to say that Russia is being a fool here and they need to back off is signalling that some elements of the Russian government are laying the ground for ending the war. I think Russian TV will likely be seeing more messages like this.

Somebody created a map of conscription offices that have been firebombed in the last month. It's all over the country and a lot of them. They still keep paper records, so burning down the offices destroys a lot of draft records.

Russia has been seeing other acts of sabotage too, both to military and economic resources. An RPG went off in the trunk of someone's car near Moscow yesterday.

The people in the Kremlin know this is going on better than we do and I'm sure they are concerned. I would think they would have made a big deal if they had caught anyone, casting the perps as pro-Ukraine 5th columnists or something. They are probably very nervous all this is going on. It's obviously not a few isolated malcontents, it's happening all over the country.

It seems to me Alawism is to Shia what Mormonism is to mainstream Christianity.

Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 4.23.07 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: SwedishAdvocate
A plant genetics bank near Kharkiv was destroyed by the Russians. 160,000 genetic samples, from some some extinct varieties wiped out.
The invaders destroyed the National Gene Bank of Plants of Ukraine | odessa-journal.com

I've seen references to the Russians as orcs.

BTW somebody put English subtitles on the Khodaryonok interview. It's about 5 min and worth watching.

On Feb 3 the same guy predicted exactly what was going to happen with amazing accuracy. Kamil Galeev translated some of the high points
Thread by @kamilkazani on Thread Reader App

Last edited: