Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly.
Its still communist wolf in sheepskin of capitalism.
EXCEPT for the western companies that set up shop and brought correctly functioning capitalism in.
...and now they have permanently left.

Would it be wrong to say, with the talent drain, Russia may massive economic implosion, 3 digit inflation, and suffer long term depression?

And will the latter spread to the rest of world?

Russia is in for a rough ride economically. They were headed for a rough patch anyway because their population mix is too top heavy with too many pensioners and too few workers. Japan hit that demographic bottleneck in the 1990s and has been in the doldrums for 25 years. China is headed for the sharpest demographic cliff because of the one child policy.

China will likely see their cost of labor soar, which will price them out of the market for making cheap goods.

China's economic base is more stable than Russia's though. China makes most of what it consumes. If they need to cut back, they can cut back exports and still do OK with a strong inner economy. Russia doesn't make much other than weapons, and they may see that market shrinking since their not getting very good advertising in Ukraine. "Buy our million dollar T-90, and see it obliterated with a $50,000 missile."

Outside of military hardware, Russia sells oil distillates, but the bulk of their economy is resource extraction: oil and gas, agriculture products, and minerals.

The world needs to adjust if those products go off the market, but they aren't a key source for any manufactured product. Compare this to Taiwan who makes some of the most complex integrated circuits in the world. If Taiwan goes offline, a bunch of manufacturing companies will have to stop their production lines.

Russia got dropped from the G8 in part because of what Putin did in Crimea, but also because their economy shrank in 2014 with the first round of sanctions. Russia is now the #11 economy in the world, which is staggering for the largest land mass in the world and a population of 145 million. Canada with a population around 35 million has a bigger GDP. They will probably drop below South Korea and then Australia in the next year or two.

List of countries by GDP (nominal) - Wikipedia

If Russia has an economic downturn, but continues to sell resources to the world, it won't have much impact at all. If Russia has social unrest and resources can't be extracted, the world will have to scramble to fill the gaps from other sources, which may cause some bottlenecks. The most risky thing here is the nickle market. Russia supplies a lot of it and the world suddenly needs to expand production quite a bit.

Oil will be a bottleneck for a bit too if production fails due to unrest, but the world is spinning up production now because of the war.

On a tangent Perun has a new video about what Finland and Sweden joining NATO will mean

He makes the point that those two countries makes some scenarios for European wars with Russia that were remote to begin with even more remote, but adding those two countries makes weapons manufacturing easier, and allows the US to pivot to pay more attention to the Pacific with the NATO front more shored up.

I was thinking about that. Things like the My Lai Massacre did come from up the chain of command, but it was not the policy of the country, nor top leadership.

A couple of years ago a war criminal from Afghanistan was pardoned by the president. The top leadership of the military was outraged.

That flag may be new, but that tank is a museum piece. It looks like a T-64 (probably started the war as Ukrainian) and has no upgrades I can see. Almost all active Soviet/Russian designed tanks today have reactive armor.

Lol, close enough, IT IS/WAS a museum peace T-54. But the idiots didn't realize that so they shot it... Bet they were proud of making a tank kill before the enemy even getting a move 🤡 In front of one of the Azovstal buildings. See the tower in the background and the tank number...🤡

1653366774624.png
1653366788830.png

My Lai was horrific, but was not covered up and some US soldiers were court martial-ed and punished. Not even close to enough punishment in my opinion, but they were forced to stand trial and not decorated.

Last edited:
Lol, close enough, IT IS/WAS a museum peace T-54. But the idiots didn't realize that so they shot it... Bet they were proud of making a tank kill before the enemy even getting a move 🤡 In front of one of the Azovstal buildings. See the tower in the background and the tank number...🤡

View attachment 808073View attachment 808074

My Lai was horrific, but was not covered up and some US soldiers were court martial-ed and punished. Not even close to enough punishment in my opinion, but they were forced to stand trial and not decorated.

I was just about to post some more pictures from the captured tank, you beat me to it. :)

My initial thought was the turret was too rounded for a T-64, but almost all the ones you see operational today have reactive armor which hides the outlines of the turret. The gap between the first and second road wheels is a dead giveaway for the T-54.

It does appear the Ukrainians towed the tank to the Azozstal plant. Maybe hoping to put it back into action?

Yes, that was the incident that was most well known and there as at least some sort of accountability. However, the gist I get is that in Vietnam a lot more incidents have happened that have not been reported on nor was there accountability. Can't imagine this happening current day with the US military in such a scale though without some sort of accountability.

• Informative
Reactions: SwedishAdvocate

View attachment 808073View attachment 808074

T-54, there is also a T-34-85 on podium that was shot at, but compared to all the T-72 around it was in far better shape.
And some T-64(?) on pedestal was functional enough it was started and driven away, but not get far before breakdown.

Kissinger wants to reward Russian aggression

Henry Kissinger: Ukraine must give Russia territory
Paywall, but I think he is saying it will be difficult for west as well, especially some EU states.

There is a case for "giving" to Russia, but only if they have severe losses in other aspects.
Ukraine and Moldova, and Georgia, are made EU and NATO members
Russian Oil embargo
Strict limits on Russian gas
No Russian navy ships in black sea (only 50 ton patrol boats)
Crimea and Donbas are independent countries, UN controlled (so they can decide to join who they want later)

Can usually be avoided by turning off Java Script. I have it off for that site so didn't notice the paywall.

"Veteran US statesman Henry Kissinger has urged the West to stop trying to inflict a crushing defeat on Russian forces in Ukraine, warning that it would have disastrous consequences for the long term stability of Europe.

The former US secretary of state and architect of the Cold War rapprochement between the US and China told a gathering in Davos that it would be fatal for the West to get swept up in the mood of the moment and forget the proper place of Russia in the European balance of power.

Dr Kissinger said the war must not be allowed to drag on for much longer, and came close to calling on the West to bully Ukraine into accepting negotiations on terms that fall very far short of its current war aims.

“Negotiations need to begin in the next two months before it creates upheavals and tensions that will not be easily overcome. Ideally, the dividing line should be a return to the status quo ante. Pursuing the war beyond that point would not be about the freedom of Ukraine, but a new war against Russia itself,” he said."

One of those phone calls intercepted by the Defense Intelligence of Ukraine. This one is between one of Putler's contract soldiers and that soldier's wife. According to him, he and 80% of the people around him refuse to take part in the fighting. And he will quit once his contract is up. Also: According to him ".../ It's not like everyone from LPR and DPR are standing for Russia, [Self-censored] no, it's not like that at all! Everyone is an enemy!" /...

It also contains a quite severe account of casualties for Putler's forces...

NOTE: Might be NSFW depending on local 'sensitivities' with regards to swear words...

Last edited:
Looks like the push is on to encircle these twin cities in the east.

Ya gotta give him something. Wars don't generally just end and the loser goes home. Something needs to be "negotiated".
Kaja Kallas, the Democratically Elected Prime Minister of Estonia disagrees.

From May 16:

"
…/ simply suing for peace with Mr. Putin would be a mistake at this stage, she believes, rewarding his aggression. She argues forcefully instead that Russia must be seen to lose its war against Ukraine, so that history — that of her family and her country — is not repeated elsewhere.

Much as the Soviets not only occupied but annexed Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania — and much as the Russians annexed Crimea in 2014 — Moscow, she and others warn, will do the same to large parts of southern and eastern Ukraine if given the chance, with grave consequences.

Peace can’t be the ultimate goal,” she said. “We had peace after the Second World War, but the atrocities for our people started or continued then,” she said, citing mass deportations, killings of the elite and “trying to erase our culture and our language.”

In the Russian-occupied territories of Ukraine, “we will see all of this,” she said. So “a peace that allows aggression to pay off,” while the threat remains of more conflict down the road, is unacceptable, she said
. /… [My underline.]
"
Source:

I can't find an English source, but according to Swedish Public Service Radio, she repeated this stance today. They had a clip in which Ms. Kallas said so herself. Here it is in Swedish. Google translate might be of assistance. Or you can press the play-button and hear her say it yourself at 0:13 into the sound clip:

EDIT: I have made some supplements to what was originally posted...

Last edited:
Ah, beat me too this!

Perfectly illustrates who weak Russian military is.
That little box, the top left of the box is where the pontoon bridge turkey shoot happened.

Armchair general here:
As I mentioned earlier, that was to be the north part of this massive push, which completely failed. They are still pushing the south arm.
IF, IF Ukraine can stop this, it could undermine the entire Russian army ability to launch attacks, make them only fight defensively.
Why? Because of the vast amount of material and men thrown into a single point that will suffer massive losses and expend what is left of their reserves.
Because: experts estimate at least 1/3 of initial force is lost in combat, more due to quitting (some can quit) and deserting, and simply lack of replacements.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12