Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UK seems to be contemplating sending some MLRS

(btw the Canadian chap posting on twitter may be dodgy)

Many of the western English speaking people fighting for Ukraine talk about tactical things they know in their sector of the war. This guy talks about things going on in all fronts which I have found suspicious.

He was talking the other day about Russian troops massing on the border near Kyiv again. The Russians may have moved up a small harassing force to keep the border troops on alert, but they don't have the manpower nor the equipment to make another attempt at Kyiv with more than 1/3 of their combat forces trying to take one small town in the Donbas.

Maybe rumors about another attempt on Kyiv are floating around, but it's unsubstantiated scuttlebutt if it is.

If he is real, his factuality is suspect. My partner has been following him because he was recommended by an American who had been fighting over there and went home for a while to deal with some stuff at home.

NY Times is reporting that President Macky Sall of Senegal, the African Union’s chairman, will meet with Putin on Friday and urge him to lift Russia’s blockade on Ukranian grain and fertilizer.

Putin has done much meddling in Africa over the years and he is not as generally hated there as in the West. But there are limits as most of these are poor countries with food scarcity issues. Good for the African Union to pressure him directly and not allow Putin to reframe reality into some gaslit nonsense he tries to perpetuate.

African Union Head Has Plea for Putin: Release Ukraine’s Grain.

Kamil Galeev talking about the nuts and bolts of how things work in Russia. In this essay he makes the point that the Russian army is incapable of expanding via mass conscription or even call up of the theoretical reserves (who are just conscripts who got out in the last few years and have had no training since). In the last 30 years all mechanisms for mass expansion were dismantled. They would have to rebuild the system from scratch to do mass conscription now.
Thread by @kamilkazani on Thread Reader App

If the Forbes article I posted a couple of days ago is correct, they aren't going to have the trainers to train anybody, even their yearly class of recruits once those people get rounded up and sent to the war.

Fantastic video:

No surprise, it all comes back to oil and gas for Russia. Just like Iraq and Kuwait did for the USA.

I knew some of this, but it's a good video putting things into historical perspective and there were some details I wasn't aware of. One thing they didn't talk about was how badly the Soviets messed up their oil infrastructure. When the USSR fell apart western oil companies were hired in droves to help them fix their oil fields. After decades of Soviet mismanagement some fields were only producing 10-20% of the oil they could produce. The rehab brought the fields up to full potential.

Trent Telenko thinks Russia has reached its culmination point
Thread by @TrentTelenko on Thread Reader App

It looks like Ukraine set a trap at Severodonetsk and they are now counter attacking, causing high losses among the Russians. I've seen reports that the Russians are throwing 25 and as many as 35 BTGs into Severodonetsk. That's a high concentration of force for one small city. The Ukrainians let them gain some ground, but now they are out of their trenches and stuck in an urban environment, they are counterattacking and taking out a lot of Russian personnel and equipment.

He also reports on long term logistics
Thread by @TrentTelenko on Thread Reader App

Russia has been losing the equivalent of 2/3 of a BTG in equipment every day on average. That's 66 BTGs of equipment gone so far. He estimates the Russians have close to 80,000 dead and seriously wounded.

Ukraine has an ever growing pool of equipment between captured equipment and NATO equipment coming in.

Russia is incapable of increasing their conscription system without reinventing their Soviet era system. That would take a lot of work in a society not known for high competence. Ukraine is calling up and training troops faster than casualties are reducing manpower. So they have a growing army.

Russia running out of everything:

How Russia, And Putin, Are Weaponizing, Losing And Running Out Of ... Everything​

Moon of Alabama earlier explored how Russia was weaponizing everything. This after Donald Trump had done so many good things for Russia. Then Putin lost everything he ever might have had.

It has been getting worse since.

Now Russia, and Putin himself, are 'running out' of whatever may have been left.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Swedish problems
Swedish government crisis as PM threatens to resign amidst controversial NATO negotiations with Turkey

Estonian problems
Estonian Prime Minister Kai Kallas dismissed 7 ministers of the coalition government, stating that they acted against the values of the country, and the government fell.

Swedish problems
Swedish government crisis as PM threatens to resign amidst controversial NATO negotiations with Turkey

Estonian problems
Estonian Prime Minister Kai Kallas dismissed 7 ministers of the coalition government, stating that they acted against the values of the country, and the government fell.
Wow. I would be interested to understand how much of this ties to each country’s current position towards Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. The first article makes clear the concerns of some of Sweden’s parliament members with Turkey negotiations. I had a difficult time seeing the threads in the Estonia situation. I would have to think Russia is aggressively trying to influence actions within each country, yes?

Edit - to clarify, based on @petit_bateau ’s reply - wrt the last sentence, I meant in response to these countries posture toward the Russian invasion of Ukraine, i.e., Russia is still using its considerable intelligence machine to sow discord wherever it can. I don’t know why I thought it would possibly diminish with how things have been playing out.. bears watching for the upcoming elections in the US.

Last edited:
Wow. I would be interested to understand how much of this ties to each country’s current position towards Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. The first article makes clear the concerns of some of Sweden’s parliament members with Turkey negotiations. I had a difficult time seeing the threads in the Estonia situation. I would have to think Russia is aggressively trying to influence actions within each country, yes?
I'm not sufficiently up to speed with the intricacies of politics in either country I'm afraid. Hopefully local TMC-members can add more insights.

(But yes, Russian influencers have been hard at work all over the west since Putin came to power.)

Reactions: navguy12 and Skipdd
120 x 155mm SPG for Ukraine, 50 from Belgium and 50 from Poland. Very quickly Ukraine is beginning to field a NATO army.

edit : and Russia's requipment is going backwards in time

Swedish problems
This is unrelated to Nato, but they use Nato as an excuse. Morgan Johansson, a Swedish minister who has a terrible performances in his roles(for example in 8 years under him Sweden went from the least to the most deadly shootings in Europe per capita) finally said some obv lies and the opposition took the chance to try to vote him out. The Swedish prime minister Magdalena decided to defend him and said that if he is voted out then the she will also go, which would create a crisis. Basically blackmailing the opposition and claiming that they made her cause a crisis by their reckless actions. Most sane Swedes think believe that she is causing the crisis and wonder what dirty secrets Morgon must have to make him survive in the politics for so long.