Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last reports I can see the Novocherkassk and Azoz were in port under going repair from the Ukrainian missile that sank their sister ship a few weeks ago. These reports also raise the question how Russia got six landing ships into the Black Sea with the Bosporus closed to military ship traffic.
Because they got in (alongside with a sub) in early February, before the invasion.

It would be suicide to try. The Ukrainian anti-ship capability is much better now than it was in February.

Anti-ship missiles aside, where the hell are they gonna get the marines for the invasion force? They had horrific loses among the Naval Infantry, so the few left would rattle aboard 12 landing ships. 🤡
Volksturm aint marines.

Pretty low quality Psi-Op маскировка, but that's on par with the rest of russian performance in this war; 102 days and counting

Last edited:
Because they got in (alongside with a sub) in early February, before the invasion.

Anti-ship missiles aside, where the hell are they gonna get the marines for the invasion force? They had horrific loses among the Naval Infantry, so the few left would rattle aboard 12 landing ships. 🤡
Volksturm aint marines.

Pretty low quality Psi-Op маскировка, but that's on par with the rest of russian performance in this war; 102 days and counting

I thought I read there were a few extra ships in the Black Sea from before the war, but I didn't see they had sent 6 landing ships.

In any case, I agree about where they are going to find the troops. The airborne and marines have suffered heavy losses.

Russia has never conducted an opposed amphibious operation other than some river crossings in WW II (which are a different animal that coastal assaults). Nobody is left who knew anything about river assaults. They really screwed up the one they attempted in the Donbas a few weeks ago.

One thing that is necessary for a successful amphibious operation is good artillery support, whether from naval ships or land based artillery. Troops attempting to get ashore without guns and rocket backing them up are sitting ducks for the defenders. With the Moskva gone, their largest naval ships to support an invasion are 5 frigates and there is no land based artillery within range of Odesa.

Amphibious assaults are almost always spearheaded by the most experienced and trained units in an army. There is a saying that the best military plans go out the window upon contact with the enemy. That's triply true of amphibious assaults. Well trained, experienced, and led troops can improvise their way around most unexpected obstacles they encounter.

Russian troops have shown very little motivation to do much of anything. If they managed to get ashore, they would likely huddle on the beach until killed or they got a chance to surrender.

I think the Russian high command knows this is way beyond their capability and they are just doing more sabre rattling.

Only 3x ? Are those recent statistics ?
You obviously have not been to Malmö.
I think you got that wrong. It's three times higher in the US compared to Sweden (If the figures I found are correct).

And Malmö actually isn't that bad any more. These days it's worse around Stockholm and Gothenburg. There's also a lot of shootings in the smaller cities – those that have a population of about 100K (and sometimes even less).

Last edited:
Reactions: petit_bateau
Swedish problems
Swedish government crisis as PM threatens to resign amidst controversial NATO negotiations with Turkey
/...
The latest here is that Amineh Kakabaveh – who is on the record saying that the minister fo Justice in question is a personal friend of hers – will abstain from voting on this. If so, then this motion of no confidence will fail.

Problem solved.
Amineh Kakabaveh changed her mind since I wrote that. And the vote of no confidence is today. However: She is now on the record saying that she has made her final decision. And she will abstain from voting on this. Therefore this motion of no confidence should fail.

That should mean one less problem for the Swedish application.

Source:

Source (in Swedish):

The reinforcements are reaching the front in Ukraine

Ukraine is very clearly united

also worth a read

and expect more like this

Last edited:
Amineh Kakabaveh changed her mind since I wrote that. And the vote of no confidence is today. However: She is now on the record saying that she has made her final decision. And she will abstain from voting on this. Therefore this motion of no confidence should fail.

That should mean one less problem for the Swedish application.

Source:

Source (in Swedish):
And the government has survived, but how will make for interesting NATO accession talks with Turkey