Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Slovakia will transfer 12 MiG-29 fighter jets to Ukraine immediately after Poland and the Czech Republic agree to protect its airspace", but so far I have not seen any news to say that this agreement has been, er, agreed

"Slovakia will transfer 12 MiG-29 fighter jets to Ukraine immediately after Poland and the Czech Republic agree to protect its airspace", but so far I have not seen any news to say that this agreement has been, er, agreed /...
Why does it have to be Poland and the Czech Republic? Why can't it be the UK, France or the US or some sort of combination of all these five countries (or others.)?...

Why does it have to be Poland and the Czech Republic? Why can't it be the UK, France or the US or some sort of combination of all these five countries (or others.)?...
I guess it is because of proximity. Poland and the Czech Republic are neighbour countries, UK, France or the US would have to station some planes in Slovakia to protect them, i.e. dedicated allocation of forces, while the neighbours can stay at their home base and just scramble in case of need. Distances are pretty small and Slovakia is not a big territory.

I guess it is because of proximity. Poland and the Czech Republic are neighbour countries, UK, France or the US would have to station some planes in Slovakia to protect them, i.e. dedicated allocation of forces, while the neighbours can stay at their home base and just scramble in case of need. Distances are pretty small and Slovakia is not a big territory.
Correct. There are NATO standards for these sorts of things on air, sea, land. Unless basing rights and deployment rotations are agreed (eg Iceland) it is very difficult unless you are in very close proximity. Most people don't understand what it takes for a country to reach the standards required for eiher NATO and/or EU. If you go back in this thread about 4-months ago I explained this stuff. It takes a long time to get this stuff straightened out.

European Parliament has voted positively, European Council (i.e. HoS of EU 27) also meeting today

European Parliament has voted positively, European Council (i.e. HoS of EU 27) also meeting today

And now the EU leaders have also said yes to Ukraine and Moldova getting candidate status

(and to think that in UK the 52% threw away what brave people are fighting to obtain)

Perhaps you could explain why you want Russia to prevail in this conflict?

Honestly to God question. My neighbor is from Moscow, and even he has been having serious problems putting a "we need to prevail in Ukraine" argument together.
Maybe they get a free polonium injector ring if they join the Putin fan club?