Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

The reason the US government is arming Ukraine aligns with humanitarian reasons. There probably is some humanitarian motive but it is also within the best interests of the United States, NATO, and the EU that Russia be kneecapped for what they did.

The rules of the world since the late 1940s that most countries have adhered to and has been reinforced in a number of occasions is that the borders of every nation is fixed at their late 1940s locations or at their locations as set when a larger country broke up. Any country who violates the borders of a neighbor gets sanctioned at minimum and often much of the world will back military action against the aggressor.

The European countries are especially serious about this policy. They have deliberately surrendered old territorial disputes going back centuries in the name of keeping the peace on the continent. The Europeans, especially the western Europeans, have been hyper-reactive to any kind of armed conflict in Europe.

As for the earlier question about Russia losing. In a war, the aggressor needs to continue to take ground, or hold the ground they did take against insurgency. If they fail to do that, they are losing. The United States failed to stop the insurgency by the North Vietnamese and lost. The US failed to stop the insurgency in Iraq and Afghanistan and lost. The Germans lost momentum in their invasion of France in 1914 and lost. The Russians failed to stop the insurgency in Afghanistan and lost.

For a defender, all they need to do is hold on vs the aggressor.

It's very rare in the history of warfare for an aggressor to lose momentum and figure out how to get it back again. Once momentum is lost, the end is pretty much inevitable. There are different flavors of outcome, but generally the aggressor ends up leaving with their tail between the legs eventually.

Whatever the reason, since I live only a day‘s car drive from the battle front, I’m glad the USA is doing this. Amsterdam is even closer.
Only 4-hours flight time at slow speed, much less at higher speeds. All of us in Europe ae very directly threatened.

The Dutch staying with me the last few days are appalled at the pro-Russian views of a minority of their compatriots.

Only 4-hours flight time at slow speed, much less at higher speeds. All of us in Europe ae very directly threatened.

The Dutch staying with me the last few days are appalled at the pro-Russian views of a minority of their compatriots.
I googled Caitlin Johnstone and it Took less than 5 minutes of skimming articles about her to find out she’s a far left conspiracy theorist whose journalistic capabilities and integrity are seriously questionable.

Edit: adding source: Caitlin Johnstone: Anatomy of a Far Left Conspiracy Nut
and I checked media bias of Daily Banter (left, mixed factuality - so admittedly not perfect)

And I am also mystified by pro-Russian sentiment in Europe - and in the US, but here (if I can make a political observation without making a political judgement) it at least makes sense that Trump’s pro-Putin, pro-Orban, anti-Ukraine sentiments are causing it.

Last edited:
Lets remember Turkey became an EU candidate in 1987 but will never become a member.

France or Italy will block Ukraine from the EU as long as Russia strongly objects.

Turkey will never become a member as long as they have a regime similar to their current one. And they've had that regime since ~2014...

Last edited:
VERY smart usage. Nighttime, when Russian drones and airforce are the least effective and present, plus probably 100+ km away. Will certainly be moved as soon as they are fired and hidden.

Great utilization of a high-value asset.

Follow-up - the BEST possible use of these systems right now would be attacking:
1) Command and Control - chop the head off the beast to make the units under their command less effective
2) Russian Electronic Warfare - there have been several reports that Ukrainian drone effectiveness is down very significantly due to the Russian deployment of EWS systems everywhere - target those systems, and you open up many more targets for your drones
3) Russian Aircraft (on ground at their bases in Ukraine)
4) Russian Rocket systems
5) Russian Artillery systems
6) Russian armor

That's the order I would be using HIMARS with if I only had 4 of them right now.

Last edited:
Very informative info on which countries are still making large purchases from Russia:
Who’s Still Buying Fossil Fuels From Russia?
Thanks for sharing the wall of shame. I was surprised to see France high on the list with its massive nuclear power program.

1656085459007.png

Turkey will never become a member as long as they have a regime similar to their current one. And they've had that regime since ~2014...

Turkey wasn't admitted between 1987-2014. When secular government was insured by the Army. But the EU and USA insisted the Army get out of politics.

Turkey won't be seriously considered for EU membership until it is a post Islamic fully secular democracy that aligns with Europe on women and gay rights. That is not happening this century. Maybe never.

Turkey wasn't admitted between 1987-2014. When secular government was insured by the Army. But the EU and USA insisted the Army get out of politics.

Turkey won't be seriously considered for EU membership until it is a post Islamic fully secular democracy that aligns with Europe on women and gay rights. That is not happening this century. Maybe never.

I don't know exactly why Turkey wasn't admitted between 1987-2014. And I don't feel like reading up on it know. But I'm 100% certain there were at least one very good reason why they weren't...