Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. It is important that Snake Island is indubitably in Ukraine control as sovereign territory as that is an important location in UNCLOS territorial seas terms;
2. Value as a range-extending observation platform (naval & aviation), if only for relatively simple radar systems - and if only to conceal the true source of 'magic' targetting data that may be coming in from other sources;
3. Value as a range-extending weapons platform, both for anti-surface and anti-air weapons;
4. Value as a range/endurance extender for ships and aircraft (helos & UAVs);
5. Denial to Russians.

I don't think we have heard the last of Snake Island.

(I also suspect we have not yet heard all of how it was instrumental in the sinking of Moskva, as I have some suspicions as to how that was done.)

If you have the time, I'd be interested to know your thoughts on how the island played a role in that sinking.

Occupying Snake Island would be a benefit to Ukraine, but it would likely draw a lot of fire from the Russians. On the upside that would make them waste missiles on a small island instead of Ukrainian cities, but it might render any equipment Ukraine puts on the island inoperable.

Everything around Odesa is HEAVILY mined right now to protect it from Russian amphibious assault. The Ukrainians would have to clear that out, and by doing so take on some additional risk. I just can't see them doing that unless they make further gains in Kherson and limit the Russian fleet further in the area (taking out some frigates, etc.).

Channels through minefields is very old tech. In WW I many ports were heavily mined and local harbor control would know how to navigate in and out through the minefield. Usually ships coming and going would have a local harbor master on board to steer them through the minefield.

Accidents did happen though. A US troop transport blundered into the minefield at New Caledonia in late 1942 and became too damaged to move. I believe it sat there for some time after the war.

But in general navigating in and out of a mined port is doable.

Channels through minefields is very old tech. In WW I many ports were heavily mined and local harbor control would know how to navigate in and out through the minefield. Usually ships coming and going would have a local harbor master on board to steer them through the minefield.

Accidents did happen though. A US troop transport blundered into the minefield at New Caledonia in late 1942 and became too damaged to move. I believe it sat there for some time after the war.

But in general navigating in and out of a mined port is doable.

That, however, while technically correct, will not alleviate insurer concerns and thereby rates for shipping from Ukraine will remain astronomical. Additionally, we're talking hundreds to thousands of square miles of mines. Not something like mining the English Channel.

To get the grain out in any kind of volume, and at any kind of reasonable price point for shipping, the mines have to go and Russia has to basically assure safe passage. I just don't seen either of those happening any time soon.

"Russian attacks on residential areas near Odesa kill at least 19"

Naked war criminals now, like zombie orcs. This needs a strong response. If I was Commander of Div Arty, I'd have my locating troops getting good location data on every single element that participated in the Odesa attack...

...and send my personal regrets to their mothers at home.

Naked war criminals now, like zombie orcs. This needs a strong response. If I was Commander of Div Arty, I'd have my locating troops getting good location data on every single element that participated in the Odesa attack...

Targeting civilians in terror attacks didn't work out all that well for Hitler. Not sure how Putler thinks it will work better for himself.

Apparently the trickle of HIMARS (High Mobility Rocket Systems) making their way to Ukraine has been very effective on the battlefield.

So far 4 have been put into action from the US with 4 more en route (reported to be delivered by middle of this month), 3 en route from UK, and 3 en route from Germany. US confirms they are being used with deadly accuracy and power, inflicting heavy losses against Russia when used.

During the NATO summit, $800 million additional funding was promised from the US, including more ammunition for the HIMARS.

The Pentagon's top civilian official and former CIA strategist Michael Vickers says Ukraine needs 60-100 HIMARS or similar systems and that there are "plenty available that could be supplied at minimal strategic risk."

Besides firing long-range guided munitions, the wheeled HIMARS trucks have the advantage of speed. Not only can they drive quickly to a firing point, they can program targets while en route, launch their rockets singly or in a ripple of all six within a minute, and reload far faster than anything in use by the Russians.
With 200 pounds of high explosives in each rocket, a HIMARS salvo can rival the devastating effect of an airstrike from a jet loaded with precision-guided bombs.

Advanced U.S. Arms Make a Mark in Ukraine War, Officials Say

Apparently the trickle of HIMARS (High Mobility Rocket Systems) making their way to Ukraine has been very effective on the battlefield.

So far 4 have been put into action from the US with 4 more en route (reported to be delivered by middle of this month), 3 en route from UK, and 3 en route from Germany. US confirms they are being used with deadly accuracy and power, inflicting heavy losses against Russia when used.

During the NATO summit, $800 million additional funding was promised from the US, including more ammunition for the HIMARS.

The Pentagon's top civilian official and former CIA strategist Michael Vickers says Ukraine needs 60-100 HIMARS or similar systems and that there are "plenty available that could be supplied at minimal strategic risk."

Besides firing long-range guided munitions, the wheeled HIMARS trucks have the advantage of speed. Not only can they drive quickly to a firing point, they can program targets while en route, launch their rockets singly or in a ripple of all six within a minute, and reload far faster than anything in use by the Russians.
With 200 pounds of high explosives in each rocket, a HIMARS salvo can rival the devastating effect of an airstrike from a jet loaded with precision-guided bombs.

I think the UK ones are due to arrive any moment.

All are especially effective when teamed with counterbattery radars

$820 Million in Additional Security Assistance for Ukraine

nothing new to readers of this thread, but increasingly mainstream

I have learned not to click on anything johnf links. IMO he has proven to be a Troll unless I am confusing him with someone else.

After further review that link was pure garbage. That Military Summary youtube channel can only be sourced from Russian government. The comment section is loaded with comrade friendly comments.

The bulk of attacks on Ukrainian cities at this point are launched from naval ships or from aircraft. The stock of Russian surface to surface guided missiles has pretty much been used up. A number of missiles hitting cities now are anti-shipping missiles repurposed because the navy is running out of other missiles.

I'm sure the Ukrainians are doing everything they can to nail the ships firing missiles, but it's not easy. Some of the missiles are launched from the Caspian Sea and most of the missiles launched in the Black and Azoz seas are from ships that keep out of range of Ukrainian anti-shipping missiles.

The ideal thing would be a few western frigates, but that would take a lot of training for the Ukrainians. And they would also need to be fully trained and equipped in air defense because any ships the Ukrainians deploy will be immediate targets for the Russians.

I read Norway is sending a few too.

60-100 HIMARS is quite a few units. I think that's more than is active in the US Army today. I think it was Mark Hertling who wrote about how many MRLS systems are in active service with the US Army today and it was surprisingly small. Though the US has many other arms to call on the Ukrainians don't have like a large number of aircraft capable of striking on a moment's notice.

The M270 and M142 are the most difficult weapons systems in the US inventory to keep supplied from a battlefield logistics point of view. They suck up ammunition at such a staggering rate that the poor logistics people have to work their tails off to keep them supplied.

In a war of attrition, keeping the strength of your troops up and keeping a steady flow of replacement equipment is what makes the difference. The Ukrainians have at their disposal the inventories if many nations. All the equipment has been well maintained as well as the munitions. The Ukrainians have 1/3 the population of Russia, but they went for full mobilization day 1, while Russia has been held back by a broken conscription system and a structure of laws to keep the poor sots who are drafted from rioting.

Russia has a lot of reserve equipment, but most of it has been poorly stored and maintained. The dud rate on their artillery is amazingly high because a lot of it has expired. Russia is struggling to rehab equipment from the reserve and make it combat ready. As a result they are deploying some of the oldest tanks fielded by a major power in history.

The T-62 is ancient, I think the last one was built in 1968. Old weapons can still be effective long past their original life expectancy. The US is still operating B-52s which is just as old, but the US has updated those planes and completely rebuilt them a number of times.

The two sides have been roughly matched. The Russians can bomb Ukrainian cities pretty much at will, but that does very little strategically. Russia's pointy end of the spear on land has been blunted many times and they are throwing untrained people into the front lines who get killed at a staggering rate.

The losses for Russia are concentrated regionally. Few Russians from Moscow or St Petersburg are dying because those people rarely get drafted. There are some provinces that have taken staggering losses. Additionally the LPR and DPR have seen a large segment of their male population killed or badly wounded.

The losses for Russia and Russian allies (like the DPR and LPR) could end up having a localized effect like the Paraguayan War of 1864-1870 had on Paraguay. Paraguay got into a fight with Brazil, Argentina, and Uruguay. It went so disastrously for Paraguay that 2/3rds of its population were killed and 90% of the men. The losses of men in the LPR and DPR could reach into that range which would make those regions very unstable. Paraguay is still feeling the effects of that war today.

I thought this was interesting. As always, I value the thoughts of the members here who have deeper insights and knowledge for their perspective on the position being presented, which is essentially that Russia can continue to fight for a very long time with the losses they are now taking. Changing that requires upping the weapons provided to Ukraine - which is what seems to be happening.

At Current Rate Of Losses Russian Army Can Continue Fight In Ukraine For Very Long Time – OpEd
https://www.eurasiareview.com/02072022-at-current-rate-of-losses-russian-army-can-continue-fight-in-ukraine-for-very-long-time-oped/

patchy sanctions, though I suspect this will get rectified pdq

(frigates or corvettes for Ukraine is not on the cards, and as well as the issues @wdolson has pointed out they would be vulnerable to submarine attack)

I thought this was interesting. As always, I value the thoughts of the members here who have deeper insights and knowledge for their perspective on the position being presented, which is essentially that Russia can continue to fight for a very long time with the losses they are now taking. Changing that requires upping the weapons provided to Ukraine - which is what seems to be happening.

At Current Rate Of Losses Russian Army Can Continue Fight In Ukraine For Very Long Time – OpEd
https://www.eurasiareview.com/02072022-at-current-rate-of-losses-russian-army-can-continue-fight-in-ukraine-for-very-long-time-oped/
I did read the article itself, but I didn't follow the subsequent link to Sokolov's study at Грани.Ру: Ратный отсчет as that was in Russian and I don't know the site enough to form a view. If it is worth going to please could someone say so.

Sokolov may be being quoted out of context. It may be he is only referring to availability of Russian/etc personnel at the loss rates of 200-300 per day. If so, then technically the Russians could just about theoretically manage that. Even then there is a distinct difference between the theoretical troop regeneration capacity and the practical availability of fresh, trained, willing replacements.

However what that article glosses over are the equipment & munitions regeneration capabilities of the Russians. I simply don't think they can manage that internally, and I don't think they can source them in the necessary quantities from elsewhere.

(IMHO) the Russians will try to dig in and freeze this conflict along pretty much the existing lines of control, whilst trying to promote a goodwill ceasefire. By digging in they can try to get their loss rates down to acceptable levels. And the Russians will continue to hold the nuclear escalation threat. However I don't think Ukraine will co-operate, and Ukraine is now in receipt of weapons/equipment/munitions/funds/etc and is re/generating trained troops. Ukraine morale has patches, but is generally good. Russian morale is somewhat more iffy.

At the peak of the Siverodonetsk fighting the Russian and Ukraine military losses (KIA) were roughly 1:1 at 200-300/day. Prior to that the exchange ratio was typically 3:1 in Ukraine's favour and for extended periods there was some evidence it was as great as 6-7:1. My guesstimate is that Ukraine losses are of the order of 10,000 and Russian losses ~35,000 to date. But that peak seems to have passed for Ukraine as the Western artillery is reaching the front line in sufficient quantity as to make a difference, so the exchange ratio has shifted back in Ukraine's favour.

The real worry is that the Friends Of Putin fanclub will undermine the West and seek to cut off the flow of assistance for Ukraine the day that Putin declares a ceasefire. That has t be very strongly resisted.

Sanctions are working, and are being co-ordinated. I have had a little insight into that in the past and very recently, and despite the naysayers it is going OK in a managed and co-ordinated manner.

These military updates are worth reading

and this gives some insight into what is going on near Kherson, which in turn shows how Russia cannot dig in along the whole front line in the relevant time period (imho)

Came across this video. It's in line with some of the things Kamil Galeev has been talking about.

He lays out a scenario where Russia could just sort of unravel as Moscow loses the iron grip on the provinces due to sanctions. Russia balkanizes, but slowly and with less conflict than the Balkans saw when Yugoslavia broke up.

After further review that link was pure garbage. That Military Summary youtube channel can only be sourced from Russian government. The comment section is loaded with comrade friendly comments.
MilitarySummary depicts both the Ukrainian and Russian sit maps. The statement that it "Can only be sourced from Russian government' is patently false. Ukraine. Military Summary And Analysis 02.07.2022

• Disagree
Reactions: nativewolf
This video is interesting. It's about Putin getting shunned as he arrived as a Caspian summit, but further into the clip he's shown walking to his limo and he's walking rather oddly. There is sort of a limp and while his left arm is swinging a fair bit, his right arm is motionless. He can move the arm, he lifts his right arm at one point, but it doesn't swing when he walks. I'm no expert, but that looks like some sort of neurological condition.

This video is interesting. It's about Putin getting shunned as he arrived as a Caspian summit, but further into the clip he's shown walking to his limo and he's walking rather oddly. There is sort of a limp and while his left arm is swinging a fair bit, his right arm is motionless. He can move the arm, he lifts his right arm at one point, but it doesn't swing when he walks. I'm no expert, but that looks like some sort of neurological condition.
He always walks like that. KGB training to keep his hand ready to draw his pistol or something.

I didn’t notice that. Interesting. I did see the article, but didn’t draw the same conclusion as the author. From everything we’ve observed here, Putin purposely didn’t have anyone greet him. He keeps everyone far away and he would have never eaten food offered by a stranger. Overall, he looked healthier than he has in some of the other pictures and videos from several months ago.

He always walks like that. KGB training to keep his hand ready to draw his pistol or something.

He has a foot drop on the right too, that's why he's walking with that weird gait. Those are symptoms of Parkinson's or brain tumors. An asymmetry in arm swing when walking is one of the signs. It is most typical in Parkinson's, but is also present with some brain tumors.

The foot drop is called dystonic psuedo foot drop.

I didn’t notice that. Interesting. I did see the article, but didn’t draw the same conclusion as the author. From everything we’ve observed here, Putin purposely didn’t have anyone greet him. He keeps everyone far away and he would have never eaten food offered by a stranger. Overall, he looked healthier than he has in some of the other pictures and videos from several months ago.

I was noting how he walked getting to the car rather than what the story was about. I know he's paranoid about his food.