Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
.../ Importing solar from sunny Africa is a long-held dream, but is that really better than depending on Russia for natural gas? At least you can store NG and import it from elsewhere. You're really screwed if an African Putin flips the switch.
Isn't the southern part of Europe quite sunny as well. How far could we get if we covered every warehouse rooftop and every larger factory rooftop with solar in the southernmost parts of Spain, France, Italy and Greece?...

• Love
Reactions: madodel and dm28997
happens to coincide with my own view

Yup. George HW Bush had a Marshall Plan to bring Russia into the fold, but Congress refused to fund it. Another example of politicians being too short sighted.

Isn't the southern part of Europe quite sunny as well. How far could we get if we covered every warehouse rooftop and every larger factory rooftop with solar in the southernmost parts of Spain, France, Italy and Greece?...
Cloudy ass Germany went from .5% solar to 9% in essentially a handful of years. We shouldn't be asking ourselves about putting solar in every nook and cranny.

It's so early in the game, we should just create protections for solar to thrive in the face of corruption and let the market do it's thing.

Give wind and solar projects "grid preference" so that their supply must be bought first. Set grid compensation rates for long chunks of time where necessary. Mandate grid level storage as a certain percent of peak demand.

Doing things like that will get us moving a lot faster than trying to micromanage where it goes. Let the riff raff figure that out.

Russian leader died today.

Not the one whose worldly exit would be celebrated, rather the respectable Gorbachev.

Mikhail Gorbachev, who ended the Cold War, dies aged 91 -agencies

As I understand it Gorbachev didn't wan't the Baltic states to leave the USSR/Russian Federation. It's debated whether he was involved in the decision to use deadly force in Lithuania in januari of 1991 which resulted in some 14 deaths and more than 140 injured.

Source:

He also supported the annexation of Crimea in 2014, and also defended the rigged referendum that followed.

Source:

There were also events like these under his rule:

I was just talking about how long the anti-democracy rhetoric was in circulation. Russia was one of the world's most absolutist monarchies for centuries. According to Galeev they called what they had in the 90s as democracy, and it probably the closest Russia ever got, but it was a very rough time to be Russian.

Can't answer any more right now. I need to be at the surgery center in less than 9 hours. Have to wind down now. Why are surgeons such morning people?
Ten o'clock Tee times?

• Funny
Reactions: adiggs
As I understand it Gorbachev didn't wan't the Baltic states to leave the USSR/Russian Federation. It's debated whether he was involved in the decision to use deadly force in Lithuania in januari of 1991 which resulted in some 14 deaths and more than 140 injured.

Source:

He also supported the annexation of Crimea in 2014, and also defended the rigged referendum that followed.

Source:

As Kamil Galeev has pointed out pretty much all Russians in power or aspiring to it are pretty similar on foreign policy. They all want to maintain the Russian Empire. Gorbachev did too, his USSR was too weak to hold the empire together.

Ten o'clock Tee times?

Could be.

Fortunately the surgery went well and the anesthesiologist threaded the needle with my weird drug sensitivities to get things right without any overdoses.

I did have to be unmedicated for a nerve block which was intense. She went in my neck and down the veins of my arm. I had to lie in a weird position and not move.

As Kamil Galeev has pointed out pretty much all Russians in power or aspiring to it are pretty similar on foreign policy. They all want to maintain the Russian Empire. Gorbachev did too, his USSR was too weak to hold the empire together.

Could be.

Fortunately the surgery went well and the anesthesiologist threaded the needle with my weird drug sensitivities to get things right without any overdoses.

I did have to be unmedicated for a nerve block which was intense. She went in my neck and down the veins of my arm. I had to lie in a weird position and not move.
There are some things that, once read, can not be un-read.

• Funny
Reactions: hcsharp

Source:

Source:

As Kamil Galeev has pointed out pretty much all Russians in power or aspiring to it are pretty similar on foreign policy. They all want to maintain the Russian Empire. Gorbachev did too, his USSR was too weak to hold the empire together. /...

The events mentioned above happened some 31 years ago. The year is no longer 1991.

Reactions: petit_bateau
The events mentioned above happened some 31 years ago. The year is no longer 1991.

People live in the past quite often. It's a common trope of dictators and would be dictators to get people riled up about the past. The Nazis used it. It was called the Third Reich for a reason. Many conservative political movements today use referrals to the past. A Greek friend of my partner hated the Turks because they conquered Constantinople in the 1400s.

You may consider the past irrelevant, but quite a few people in this world consider the past as highly important. If you don't accept that you will miss a chunk of the picture and you will have trouble understanding why people are acting the way they are.

31 years is not that long ago. A lot of people still have living memory of those events. The collapse of the USSR is seen as a very shameful event among many of the Russians who lived through that time.

.../ A Greek friend of my partner hated the Turks because they conquered Constantinople in the 1400s. /...

That is a single data point. How is a single data point relevant at all?

.../ You may consider the past irrelevant, but quite a few people in this world consider the past as highly important. If you don't accept that you will miss a chunk of the picture and you will have trouble understanding why people are acting the way they are. /...

The past isn't completely irrelevant. In that case you have misunderstood. But you have to look at the whole picture...

Now as fun as this has been, unfortunately enough I haven’t got an infinite amount of time to continue arguing about this…

So…

With maybe, maybe some limited geographical areas excluded, Russia will continue to be a complete POS place for the foreseeable part of eternity because that’s what The Prophet and All-Around Impressive guy Galeev tells us. That and because of 500 to a 1100 years old but oh so important ”culture”. And also: Because Memes.

Got it!

You're welcome to have the last word...

Last edited:
"The chairman of Russian energy company Lukoil, Ravil Maganov, 67, was found dead after allegedly falling from a ward on the 6th floor of a hospital in Moscow
Russian News Agency Mash wrote: “Ravil Maganov threw himself from the sixth floor of the Central Clinical Hospital on Marshala Timoshenko Street.""

You don't need land to scale up solar production.
100 million homes with 20 kWh photovoltaic array and production at 75 percent would make roughly 1.5 Terra watts. Add battery storage and it's game over. Note this is a rough calculation which could be under or over estimate
Virtual power with powerwalls is working now. Decentralized power looks like the future.
/

In support of VPP we have direct evidence that it not only works but rewards locals who participate. I like the Tesla app that keeps a ledger of all energy assets and the monitoring of the needed capacities for the home, grid, etc. Ukraine already has Starlink internet(and Powerwalls I believe)and the educated people that could set up something similar a to the VPP. The EU can also take advantage of using Powerwalls to tell the Russians to put their gas where the sun don't shine. 😭

interesting

Terrific article. I've seen bits and pieces of this information in various places, but this pulls it together. Basically Russia is running out of everything and there is no way to efficiently solve the problem.