Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was interesting that Kharkiv counter offense was the first time they captured a working t90m (latest/greatest). Also interesting that the crew had wrapped it in a anti radar heat shield tarp to hide it. The radar thing is interesting, they have lots of anti radar/anti laser stuff. It seems the idea of drones and GPS has not quite sunk in to the ruskies.

re the bridge...pretty much all military tactic and strategy lessons would say leave the russians a bolt hole and let them isolate themselves there, OTOH UKR really wants it back so they'll need to have away to clear it, in which case better to blow the bridge and get the russians to retreate north along the sea of azov. Sort of depends on what the long term goals are. In any case rusia is building defense lines on the land bridge to Crimea. They seem prepared for the loss of Kherson. I could definately see the premier airborne units (whats left) being pulled out of Kherson in the next week or so.

It looks like Ukraine is trying to capture the Donbas. If they do that, or just come close there will be no escape for Russians in the south through the Donbas. The only land route left will be the Kerch Strait.

In war you don't want to give your enemy an escape route. The ideal offensive traps a large force with no supply and no escape. Then there are only two outcomes: the siege is relieved by outside forces breaking through the lines (which won't happen with this terrain), the surrounded units surrender, or they fight to the last like the Imperial Japanese. Russian morale is way too low to fight to the last, so surrender will become inevitable.

Then Putin needs to try and weather the most humiliating defeat possible: loss of the entire army.

I could see many civilians wanting to leave to, I think they'd leave the bridge open and make the towns a bit hot to encourage the die hard russian supporters to find another home.

Long term there is some truth to the fact that there is a large population of native russian speakers In many videos after Izium the villagers were speaking russian. Ukraine needs a path forward like the Amnesty worked out by Mandela for SA. They need to rebuild these area and integrate these oblasts into Ukraine by pulling them in vs punitive means. My $0.02. I don't want to see a west bank or ireland

Perun points out that all those babushkas crying when liberated by the Ukrainians are Russian speakers. The claim the Ukrainians were discriminating against Russian speakers was just propaganda.

The Russians were able to get some people in the Donbas to fight against Kyiv because the Donbas is the poorest region in Ukraine and there were some people who figured Russia couldn't be much worse. Now after 8 years of low scale war and 7 months of brutal war that has killed a huge chunk of the male population of Donbas there are probably quite a few of the survivors who are thinking peaceful poverty in Ukraine probably beats genocide under Russia.

Crimea was always more pro-Russian. In the vote to leave the USSR the leave vote was weakest in Crimea. It's also notable that we haven't heard stories of Crimean men being pressed ganged into cannon fodder units like the men of the Donbas. Crimea might be somewhat more tepid about returning to Ukraine, but there are probably plenty of pro-Ukrainians there too. The partisans have been active there and it's difficult to run a partisan operation without civilian help.

It looks like Ukraine is trying to capture the Donbas. If they do that, or just come close there will be no escape for Russians in the south through the Donbas. The only land route left will be the Kerch Strait.

In war you don't want to give your enemy an escape route. The ideal offensive traps a large force with no supply and no escape. Then there are only two outcomes: the siege is relieved by outside forces breaking through the lines (which won't happen with this terrain), the surrounded units surrender, or they fight to the last like the Imperial Japanese. Russian morale is way too low to fight to the last, so surrender will become inevitable.

Then Putin needs to try and weather the most humiliating defeat possible: loss of the entire army.

Perun points out that all those babushkas crying when liberated by the Ukrainians are Russian speakers. The claim the Ukrainians were discriminating against Russian speakers was just propaganda.

The Russians were able to get some people in the Donbas to fight against Kyiv because the Donbas is the poorest region in Ukraine and there were some people who figured Russia couldn't be much worse. Now after 8 years of low scale war and 7 months of brutal war that has killed a huge chunk of the male population of Donbas there are probably quite a few of the survivors who are thinking peaceful poverty in Ukraine probably beats genocide under Russia.

Crimea was always more pro-Russian. In the vote to leave the USSR the leave vote was weakest in Crimea. It's also notable that we haven't heard stories of Crimean men being pressed ganged into cannon fodder units like the men of the Donbas. Crimea might be somewhat more tepid about returning to Ukraine, but there are probably plenty of pro-Ukrainians there too. The partisans have been active there and it's difficult to run a partisan operation without civilian help.
They just prohibited men from leaving Crimea so I guess it is coming. Small population though and one that mostly supported the tourist and military.

Re Ukrainian/Russian integration issues I suspect there is some truth to the matter, language choice in schools, etc. I would not be surprised if Ukraine was trying to push a "ukranian" culture everywhere, from schools, to govt docs etc.

.../ Re Ukrainian/Russian integration issues I suspect there is some truth to the matter, language choice in schools, etc. I would not be surprised if Ukraine was trying to push a "ukranian" culture everywhere, from schools, to govt docs etc.
And what do you think the Russian Dictator and his 'intelligence agencies' were doing in Crimea, the Donbas and the rest of Ukraine X amount of years before he invaded in 2014?...

A couple of questions:

What does it matter if you "speak Russian" or even if you "are Russian"?... Is there anyone in this thread that would like to spend the rest of his or her life living inside of the Dictator's version of Russia?... Why do you think someone else would?
Propaganda can be effective.

A couple of questions:

What does it matter if you "speak Russian" or even if you "are Russian"?... Is there anyone in this thread that would like to spend the rest of his or her life living inside of the Dictator's version of Russia?... Why do you think someone else would?

Hmm you should know this!

It’s called something like….

Goteborg Syndrome

Lund Syndrome

Umea Syndrome

Can’t quite put my tongue on it.

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: CatB and ZeApelido
They just prohibited men from leaving Crimea so I guess it is coming. Small population though and one that mostly supported the tourist and military.

Re Ukrainian/Russian integration issues I suspect there is some truth to the matter, language choice in schools, etc. I would not be surprised if Ukraine was trying to push a "ukranian" culture everywhere, from schools, to govt docs etc.

I saw that the other day. They may try to throw Crimean natives into the line, but it won't help much.

Before 2014 the Ukrainians were more open to Russian than after. It has become increasingly hostile to the Russian language and even Russian speakers are becoming hostile to everything Russian. Before the war Ukraine was divided about Russia, but now the division is almost gone.

Russian language in Ukraine - Wikipedia

Sure...

So I guess everyone that survived Bucha had Stockholm Syndrome...

Right. Got it.

To have been part of Ukraine for decades and then taken over suddenly by the Russians is different than a person living their whole life in the fun house mirror of the Russian media. The US has a segment of the population who have voluntarily lived in a media world of warped information for the last 30 years and it shows in US politics.

I have read the Crimea is the Ukrainian equivalent to Florida. Relatively warm weather that attracts retirees.

I remember reading in 2014 that the minimum Russian monthly pension was 3x the Ukrainian pension. So a lot of Crimeans voted for/supported a Russian pension over a Ukrainian pension.

So Crimea relative to regions in Russia has relatively few men of fighting age.

Below is a wiki map that shows income per capital in various Ukrainian regions. Green higher income while yellow is lower income.

The Donbass is coal country that was the industrial heartland of Ukraine.

1663656425075.png

Since he wouldn't say any of this without Putin's approval, I have to take this as a lie. Perhaps trying to take the pressure off for a moment to regroup in the east?

Edit:. But I'd love to see this news crush oil futures! We shall see. No impact so far.

Last edited:
A couple of questions:

What does it matter if you "speak Russian" or even if you "are Russian"?... Is there anyone in this thread that would like to spend the rest of his or her life living inside of the Dictator's version of Russia?

Is there anyone in this thread who lives in Donbas or Crimea ?
Or Russia, for that matter.

I sure don't want a Gov run by Maggots, but that does not mean I move to Russia.

I think what Putin means is: he would like the borders to be frozen at the current state of the war, i.e. keep whatever they currently occupy -- that's the kind of end he would be willing to accept, because he knows they have no chance to make any more gains but a very strong chance to keep losing more ground.