Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may have to do with Russian nuclear doctrine which says they will not use nukes until Russian territory is attacked. Making Ukrainian territory officially Russia enables them to step up the nuclear threats. They attempted to capture all of Luhansk and Donesk before launching these initiatives to give them more of a figleaf.

Nobody outside of Russia is going to believe any of it.

Putin was supposed to have a speech today where he announced general mobilization, but he canceled. The draft is very unpopular in Russia and an announcement of mass mobilization could trigger riots the Kremlin can't contain.

Additionally Russia took apart all mechanisms for mass mobilization over 20 years ago. They would be virtually having to start from scratch with their training and other support infrastructure gutted by the war. Mobilization is going to take six months even if they cut every corner possible. To do it right would take a couple of years with a fully functional training system.

In six months the Russians are going to be in a much worse position, if the war is not over. They need manpower three months ago, now is too late.
1. Correct re Russian nuclear doctrine. I agree with your analysis there.

2. I also think it has legal implications in the parody that the Russian legal system is, i.e. it is not an aggressive war (which is illegal under Russian constitution) if it is a defensive war to repel invaders from Russian territory. So for example military personnel cannot be forced to serve outside Russia, but can be forced to serve inside Russia. So changing the borders of Russia means Putin can force more troops to go to the front lines.

3. A full mobilisation requires a declaration of war in Russian legal code. I'm not at all sure what the legal status of a partial mobilisation is, or indeed if it has any meaning at all. Some insight in these links.

4. And some interesting tanks being shipped .... well done Slovenia

5. Another good sign

6 ........ by the way declarations of war have implications in the UN, and in the subsequent post-conflict courts and tribunals.

7. Most reliable up to date maps are available again, see

- At this rate it will not be long before Ukraine can retake Lyman and the associated rail link that comes from Izium;
- Steady progress in Kherson;
- This chap/ess does the most reliable maps imho;

Last edited:
Why mobilization will be a failure for Russia
Thread by @kamilkazani on Thread Reader App

The Russian reserves are nothing like western reserves. These are almost all conscripts who are kept on a reserve list for several years after their year of active service are up. They haven't been close to anything military in years. Western countries maintain active reserves who train regularly.

Russia's internal police forces are weaker because many were sent to Ukraine, now they are going to bring thousands of ex-conscripts back into the military and try to send them to Ukraine. They have a very limited ability to give them any training - the trainers are in Ukraine. Their weapons stocks are depleted so these returning conscripts are going to get worse gear than they had last time they were in. Their logistics system is already teetering, now it has to handle trying to feed and house a bunch of new people. There are no officers to keep these people in line or to provide any direction.

A lot of these factors were going on in 1917 and it did not turn out well. This time some of those draftees will have been following the real war with a VPN and they will educate their fellow troops.

This is the perfect excuse to expand the military hardware to MBT and jets.

It is really interesting to watch this disintegration of russia sphere of influence, as a student of history (but no master) just astounding and reminds me of 1989 when I had been sent to Finland- you could smell the change coming- it was palpable. I mean all the trans states are breaking away and plans for directing energy towards China instead of through russia. China is sitting there pulling these states into china while putin and others complain about EU and corrupting western influences. Russia will be left with Armenia and belorussia as alies. Poor Armenians, my heart weeps for them. Georgia will evict the occupying russians and join NATO with Ukraine. The trans states will all be aligned with Turkey and China. Russia will have lost everything in this war and only because putin didn't focus on the real enemy (lack of a developed nation state) but was transfixed with destroying the west. Crazy. His real competition was right in his rear the whole time and now he'll have lost the energy and influence of the largest aligned country (kazakh) and put a true cultural competitor next door that will no longer have need for russia. What then the eastern provinces. What will russias space program do? They will lose launch abilities.

Putin, an astoundingly brutal and cruel person that was hailed by russians and fascist wannabees everywhere is revealed as a modern day Mussolini. Cruel and incompetent and a terrible chess player, someone playing Tic Tac Toe when China was playing Go. Russia has wasted this brief moment when the world still needed the energy resources Russia (and USSR before that and Russia before that) depended upon. Instead the EU was forced to wean itself with a renewed and hastened focus on wind, solar, battery storage and alternative suppliers. Nothing could have moved EU to sustainability faster than putin attacking ukraine and nothing gave china greater opportunities for mischief in the backyard than a war with ukraine and nothing says incompetent like leaving 300 billion in the west to be locked away to pay for war damages. Not even mentioning bringing Finland and Sweden into NATO.

Ben Hodges is right...the west better be ready for russia wracked by revolt.

Now more than ever I am sure Ukraine is indeed planning a major third counter offense phase and I am equally sure it will be devastating and prepare for the last phase of this conflict.

What will UKR do with 100k POWs ? Or more ?

Russia will have lost everything in this war and only because putin didn't focus on the real enemy (lack of a developed nation state) but was transfixed with destroying the west. Crazy.

I came across a nice dynamic map showing borders pre and post WWI. If I had to guess, I would say that Putin and his cronies dream of pre WWI borders

Last edited:
This is the perfect excuse to expand the military hardware to MBT and jets.

It is really interesting to watch this disintegration of russia sphere of influence, as a student of history (but no master) just astounding and reminds me of 1989 when I had been sent to Finland- you could smell the change coming- it was palpable. I mean all the trans states are breaking away and plans for directing energy towards China instead of through russia. China is sitting there pulling these states into china while putin and others complain about EU and corrupting western influences. Russia will be left with Armenia and belorussia as alies. Poor Armenians, my heart weeps for them.

It is unclear is Armenia doing this to join sanctions or to prevent conscriptionable leaving russia:

I like that Putin is trying to work this thru legal channels rather than simply doing what he pleases. Today feels like an out of the blue tactical nuke isn't going to happen at any point.

Yeah, strange why don't he just change the laws to fit the present situation, it's not like there is more of an illusion of legality by falsifying documents.