Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Sea of Azoz freezes over most winters. The Russians have ice breakers in the area, but only a few.

The Russians supply conundrums have gotten much more complex. With rail logistics end to end, they load supplies on a train somewhere in Russia, then the train drops it off near the depot close to the front. Now they have to unload the train in Russia near the Kerch Strait onto a truck, then the truck has to wait for the ferry (the Russians only have a couple, they scrapped most of them after the Kersh St Bridge was complete), once ferried across the truck goes to a nearby rail depot where the supply is put back on a train. Much more labor and more time to move each ton of goods.

Additionally their capacity to move fuel is drastically worse. I've seen pictures of the trucks waiting for the ferries and there are few tanker trucks in the line. They were moving fuel by tanker car in trains, but now they have to put it on trucks and it doesn't look like they have all that many tanker trucks.

The Russians don't have the kind of bulk hauler ships needed to move a lot of cargo in the Black Sea/Azoz region. They have some landing ships left, but those would likely carry trucks loaded with supplies.

If the Ukrainians reach the Azoz coast they will be within Neptune range of all the Russian ports that would service Crimea. With the fall of Kherson they are in control of land points that put all of western Crimea in Neptune range.

The entire south is dependent on supply flowing into Cirmea and with that cut down, the southern front is drastically supply starved. The Russian offensive that went horribly wrong was an attempt to push the Ukrainians back from HIMARS range of the one rail line between Donbas and the south. They lost thousands battering a brick wall of Ukrainian defenses.

The Russians are probably moving small amounts of supply along southern roads, but their ability to do that is poor.

Putin is doing an outstanding job of that.

The bridges are probably out until after the war is over. At minimum until the Russians are pushed well back from the left bank of the river.

The Russians blowing the bridges on the way out made it clear that despite what they say, they have given up hope of taking back Kherson.

I'm skeptical about the rumors that western powers are pressuring Ukraine to settle. There are a lot of rumors, but the sources are not the most reliable. There may be some pressure, but I expect the pressure from the US is diminished now that the MAGA caucus lost in the election. Those were the bulk of politicians who were pro-Putin. 90+% of the rest want to see Russia eliminated as a threat to anyone.

The Russians can make the northern border to Crimea difficult to breach. It's a narrow isthmus, but the Russians have poor supply and poor quality troops vs an ever better Ukrainian force.

Towed artillery is pretty much obsolete. The US uses very little of it anymore, which is why there were so many M777s to give to Ukraine. There are so many threats, including drones to stationary artillery that can't be moved quickly. Most SP guns need to drop some kind of blade to stabilize the chassis when they fire. They can move more quickly than towed guns, but it still takes time to move. HIMARS can stop, shoot, and be on the move again within a minute or two.

By the time the Ukrainians get to Crimea, the rest of the south will have likely collapsed leaving a large chunk of their army available to go after Crimea. Both sides are stretched thin right now with a very long line of contact. The fall of right bank of the Dnipro frees up the Ukrainians quite a bit. They can put just a blocking force to the north in case the Russians want to raid the north and shift most of their sources east.

To keep the Russians tied down on the left bank of the Dnipro the west should give Ukraine some amphibious vehicles. That would pose a constant threat to the Russians of a Ukrainian crossing and force them to keep forces on the bank of the river.

The Russians are now a lot less mobile than the Ukrainians. The Ukrainians can keep some mobile reserve on the right bank to counter any Russian incursions, but the Russians, not having the ability to deploy mobile reserves would have to station more troops in static positions on the left bank to achieve the same blocking ability against the Ukrainians. With static positions, the Russians will also be more vulnerable to enemy artillery.

The Russians can harass cities and towns like they have been doing, but their ability to hit the Ukrainian army is much weaker than the ability of the Ukrainians to hit their troops.
They gave them 40 river crossing boats....which can cross the black sea from Kherson or Odessa to Crimea on most days just fine. I do wonder if they wanted them for that or for crossing the reservoir and attacking just north or south of the nuke plant

A good overview of the 18 boats already furnished, at least one of which has been hit by a lanclet loitering drone.

Last edited:
According to the Ukraine Defense ministry about 1/2 of the Russian 49th Combined Army is stuck on the wrong side of the river.
More Than Half russian Forces Still Remain Unevacuated from Kherson Region | Defense Express

Also the Ukrainians have announced they have a home grown thermobaric flame thrower. They used it in Lyman.
Ukrainian Army Shows Domestic RPV-16 Flamethrower in Action and Tell What It’s Useful For | Defense Express

Trent Telenko's observations about vulnerability of M-109s and M-777s to loitering munitions
Thread by @TrentTelenko on Thread Reader App

Last edited:
The Fascist 'ideologue' Alexander Dugin has posted something calling for the assassination of the Russian Dictator. And later removed said post. Allegedly...

Credit goes to (in Swedish):

The Fascist 'ideologue' Alexander Dugin has posted something calling for the assassination of the Russian Dictator. And later removed said post. Allegedly...

This is one scary paranoid dude. Reading stuff like this makes it easier to understand why a car bomb went looking for him.

Do all Russians really define themselves by being the absolute go to the limit bully? At least he fully acknowledges they have anointed a dictator and turned their lives over to that dictator. Here, take what you want, do what you want as long as you keep our idea of the bear intact. How is it possible to be both bully and chick*hit at the same time (or perhaps that is the very definition of bully)?

With such clear eyes to see what has been done, how can this guy not see the possibility of the alternative? How can he not see that most of the West has no intentions of "sticking around" when they get involved in conflicts?

They gave them 40 river crossing boats....which can cross the black sea from Kherson or Odessa to Crimea on most days just fine. I do wonder if they wanted them for that or for crossing the reservoir and attacking just north or south of the nuke plant

A good overview of the 18 boats already furnished, at least one of which has been hit by a lanclet loitering drone.

Who knows...just some random twitter stuff but...but...this is exactly where Ukraine can move now that they have the Kherson area behind them. The river boat fleet would be able to move 500 soldiers an hour, with equipment. Maybe double that if going light followed by some barge with more equipment.

Who knows...just some random twitter stuff but...but...this is exactly where Ukraine can move now that they have the Kherson area behind them. The river boat fleet would be able to move 500 soldiers an hour, with equipment. Maybe double that if going light followed by some barge with more equipment.
That is the area the UA navy was bombarding using MLRS mounted on an LCT a few weeks ago.

This is exactly why the Russians sank everything floating that they did not take away with them.

Do all Russians really define themselves by being the absolute go to the limit bully?

Lol, I stopped reading at the 2nd sentence: "If you do not care, then you are not Russian." There is a name for this rhetoric: It's an example of the "No true Scotsman" fallacy. Wherein, if you don't believe or show unquestioning support for my premise, then the conclusion is that your opinion (or your very life) deserves to be cancelled. That way, my position wins because I don't need to counter your arguements, I can just ignore or deny them, or attack you personally (also part of dehumanizing the enemy).

Very dangerous rhetorical stance. Leads to suffering. I hope the next car bomb gets its intended tgt.

If I was him, I'd stay away from heights and have his food professionally tasted going forward.

It's usually a good idea to put your army's back in front of either mountains or the sea. I was wondering how Ukraine forces were going to cross the Dnipro. They didn't. They went around the mouth. This only works because the Russian navy is not in a position to control the shoreline.

It's usually a good idea to put your army's back in front of either mountains or the sea. I was wondering how Ukraine forces were going to cross the Dnipro. They didn't. They went around the mouth. This only works because the Russian navy is not in a position to control the shoreline.
They are already on the other side, just north of the large hydro reservoir. That's why so many people think Ukraine goes for one of the two major ports on the Sea of Azov. Well that and the logistics are terrible, the railheads are far from either port.

This is one scary paranoid dude. Reading stuff like this makes it easier to understand why a car bomb went looking for him.

Do all Russians really define themselves by being the absolute go to the limit bully? At least he fully acknowledges they have anointed a dictator and turned their lives over to that dictator. Here, take what you want, do what you want as long as you keep our idea of the bear intact. How is it possible to be both bully and chick*hit at the same time (or perhaps that is the very definition of bully)?

With such clear eyes to see what has been done, how can this guy not see the possibility of the alternative? How can he not see that most of the West has no intentions of "sticking around" when they get involved in conflicts?

Different cultures have different things that are accepted as "fact". Western democracies have, at minimum 3 generations of democratic rule and the older ones have had democratic rule going back hundreds of years. The concept that a democratic form of government is baked into the culture.

Personally I agree with Winston Churchill about democracy, it's the worst form of government until you have considered the alternatives. ie it's imperfect, but the best we've come up with.

Russia is a different culture with different experiences as well as different ideas. To conquer North America, the US needed individuals who had a lot of freedom of action to conquer the land. There were natives here, but they were very small in number compared to the territory to take. To conquer northern Asia, the Russians had to deal with a continent that already had an established population. They needed a strong central control to bring all these people to heel.

The US evolved a culture that cherished individual liberty and self determination. Russia evolved a culture that was pretty much the opposite. Russia's Czars had the most centralized control of any European monarch. Russia was also a very backwards place and modernized very recently. It was the last country in the world to free its serfs, doing so in the 1860s. The communists went on a crash program to industrialize in the 1920s and 30s, but it was an agrarian society before that.

There are large parts of Russia today that don't have indoor plumbing. I was talking with a friend who worked 30+ years for Marathon Oil and he had a friend who was in Russia helping them modernize their oil industry 10-15 years ago. Where he was, they had indoor plumbing, but they hadn't gotten the concept of a U-bend. As a result, all pipes were open to the sewer and all building smelled like a sewer inside. This was in one of the wealthier oil production cities.

In any case, Russia has the cultural concept that a strong central leader is the best form of government. That idea was driven home when they experimented with democracy in the 1990s and the country suffered horribly. As an outsider their problem was not democracy, but the turmoil of the USSR falling apart, but they equated the collapse with democracy.

Putin ensured that enough trickled down to the common people that their lives improved under his leadership. He has been quite popular among the Russian people because he "made Russia great again". Russia did come back from a disaster of a decade under Putin's rule.

During this war the Russian news media has been talking about how Europeans have no food or electricity and how the cutoff of Russian energy has caused chaos. Because most Russians already believe that democracy is unstable and prone to creating a mess in the economy, a large portion of the Russian population believes it. There is about 10% of the Russian population who have family outside Russia and have traveled in Europe and know that the western democracies are not hell holes, but they don't mix with the 90% of the population who are eating up what the TV tells them. A lot of that 10% have left the country since the war started.

I agree with the western democracy mindset that democracy is a better form of government, but Russia and Russians have a different view of democracy. Dugin's writing is eaten up by a fairly large segment of the Russian population.

It's important to realize different cultures have different things that are accepted as facts without question. An open society like we have in most western democracies it is acceptable to question everything. Australian TV has a show entitled Question Everything.

But many societies discourage thinking outside a certain box and a large percentage of their population will accept many ideas we might see as non-nonsensical as things to accept without questioning. The concept that the idea could be brought into question is out of most people's consciousness.

Even within democracies there are things some people refuse to question which can lead to beliefs that influence their behavior and trying to question those things gets a lot of push back.

I expect the Ukrainians are not going to try to expand the bridgehead. Supplying a large force across the Dnipro would be tough. Holding the mouth of the river prevents the Russian Navy from doing anything on the river though.

Love Sam.

What is Putin going to do when the younger generations in Russia simply decide to abandon the old ways and move more towards a Western style of living? I guess the ole guard will loose its sugar like the SA Government prior to the fall of Apartheid or even the "right" in the US as it looses its ability to win elections. History tells us that stepping harder on the neck of an ascending group never ends well.

I guess this is more of the, “if I can’t beat you militarily, I will punish you until you acquiesce. Luckily this one failed, but it is awful. Not sure how to stop it.

I guess the adage "if you listen, people will tell you exactly who and what they are" is true. (slight rewrite - credit to Dr. Maya Angelou)

Love Sam.

What is Putin going to do when the younger generations in Russia simply decide to abandon the old ways and move more towards a Western style of living? I guess the ole guard will loose its sugar like the SA Government prior to the fall of Apartheid or even the "right" in the US as it looses its ability to win elections. History tells us that stepping harder on the neck of an ascending group never ends well.

The younger generation has time on their side if nothing else.