Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Isn't that the point of this? I'd think Putin wants everyone to know to give everyone a warning that no matter how prominent one is they can still fall out a window or have a "heart attack" if they aren't 100% behind Putin's latest "Special Operation" to make Russia Great Again.

No doubt, but if historical monarchies are anything to go by, this sort of behavior has unwanted side-effects. And Putin is nominally an elected dictator. I'm curious what his 'electorate' makes of his KGB persona. MRGA in action, or a Rasputin/Stalin rose from the dead ?

No doubt, but if historical monarchies are anything to go by, this sort of behavior has unwanted side-effects. And Putin is nominally an elected dictator. I'm curious what his 'electorate' makes of his KGB persona. MRGA in action, or a Rasputin/Stalin rose from the dead ?
Elections are a bit different in Russia then here. More like the ones in Kari Lake's delusions than the reality here. I'm sure Putin will win at least 90+% in the next election, "accidents" or not, if they bother to stage one. Like the 'perfectly fair and honest' referendums in the Russian-occupied areas of Ukraine a few months back.

Elections are a bit different in Russia then here. More like the ones in Kari Lake's delusions than the reality here. I'm sure Putin will win at least 90+% in the next election, "accidents" or not, if they bother to stage one. Like the 'perfectly fair and honest' referendums in the Russian-occupied areas of Ukraine a few months back.

We'll see. At the rate things are going, I'm not convinced that he'll be able to hang on to power until March of '24. May be over optimistic of me, though.

Russia's Lavrov: Either Ukraine fulfils Moscow's proposals or our army will decide

Hopefully wherever these peace talks are held it's a nice conference room above the 10th floor with an open window to a beautiful view that Vlad and his buddy Sergei can enjoy on the way down.

Their army will decide it, by losing.

What a novel strategy

Those drones are must kill targets. You use whatever you've got to kill them because if they get through they will cause serious damage. Everybody is working on cheap solutions to knock down drones. Most of the developed countries will have fairly effective countermeasures against cheap drones within a couple of years, but hardened drones are going to be more difficult to kill. But hardened drones are also more expensive.

There aren't enough of them, but the German Gepard has proven to be a fairly good and cheap anti-drone weapon. There are EMP weapons becoming available too.

It's been speculated, and I think it's probably right, that the Russians are sending the Iranian drone swarms at Ukraine to exhaust Ukraine's supplies of AA missiles so they can increase their air attacks on Ukrainian positions. However the west is starting to supply AA missile systems which negates that strategy.

"More than ever before"? The Russians produced over 17,000 tanks and SP guns in 1943 and 1944. Nobody is probably ever going to produce tanks like that again.

This story has to be put into context. The T-72 is an early 1970s design and has been out of production since 1992. Because they have so many of them, the Russians (and other armies) have done various upgrades to the T-72 over time to try and keep them relevant. The T-72 2022 is not a new tank, it's an old tank (probably pulled out of storage) with bolt on armor added.

The T-90M is the latest produced tank. Russia builds 62 a year. At the start of the war the production line had a batch of T-90s being built for an Indian order. Production was halted because foreign sourced parts were unavailable. These parts are used in the sophisticated anti-tank missile defenses and targeting systems. The tank chassis, gun, engine, etc. are all Russian sourced. So the Russians can make basic tanks without modern electronics.

The production line say idle for a while and was restarted with a lot of fanfare. Since then the Russian army has gotten small batches of new T-90s. Probably diverted from the Indian order (none have been delivered to India) and probably with at least some of the electronics stripped out. A T-90 without the modern electronics is not much better in combat than an old T-72.

The Russians are big on fronting. They need everything to look bigger, more lavish than it really is. A handful of new tanks delivered becomes an armada of new tanks going to the front to deliver the Russian army from the Ukrainians. They are never clear on how many, they neglect to say that most of their pre-war trained tank crews are dead and the new crews struggle to drive their tanks in a straight line, and their combined arms tactics being so bad is the primary reason they have lost over 3000 tanks.

The Ukrainians are using older models of the same tanks the Russians are using, but their losses are vastly smaller because they are much better at combined arms warfare and don't unnecessarily expose their tanks to enemy AT fire. When their tanks are exposed to AT fire, they use unmounted infantry to protect them from AT teams using ATGMs.

There has been a lot of talk about the tank being dead, but in reality tanks have not been safe operating without support troops and systems since the 1940s. Unprotected tanks charging into battle got a lot of tanks knocked out in the 1940s too. The Russians forgot that and paid the price.

Is the Russian populace at large aware of these murders, however they may be characterized ?
And another thought -- I realize that many of Putin's inner circle are gangsters, but even mafias need competent leadership

I suppose I am wondering how many more palace murders can happen before effects become apparent.

In a dictatorship news can be buried. Most Chinese in China are unaware of Tianamen Square in 1989, but most of the rest of the world knows about it. On the other hand Russians like strong man leaders and a strong man eliminates anyone who gets out of line. So the bulk of the Russian population probably figure that anyone who meets a bad end probably had it coming to them.

Dima Trolls; Elon Rolls

Former Russian President Dmitry Medvedev wrote some Twitter fan fiction over the weekend in which he hallucinated the fall of the West and the rise of the Fourth Reich. Elon Musk thought the thread was “epic.”

Under the US constitution as written today Elon is ineligible to be president. But I guess with the right winning this civil war there will be no constitution. The most laughable part of the whole piece is that Germany will become the Fourth Reich. The reason Germany's defense appropriation process is so broken is Germany's ambivalence about being an armed state.

Also Texas joining with Mexico? An independent Texas might try to conquer Mexico, but they aren't going to join them.

A US civil war is a possibility, but I don't think a shooting war is all that likely. The sides in the last civil war had geographical boundaries they could fall behind. The geographical lines are mostly between urban and rural areas which makes it harder to have geographical areas for the two sides. Hard for Georgia to join the new Confederacy if the entire Atlanta area stays Union. Violence may be possible, but it will more likely take the form of domestic terrorist attacks like the person or persons who took out the electrical sub-station in North Carolina a few weeks ago. There was an attack like that near Tacoma, Washington a few days ago. Another happened in San Jose, CA a few years ago.

There has been a lot of talk about the tank being dead, but in reality tanks have not been safe operating without support troops and systems since the 1940s. Unprotected tanks charging into battle got a lot of tanks knocked out in the 1940s too. The Russians forgot that and paid the price.

Reminds me of an 80's film about a Russian tank crew lost in a valley during the Afghanistan war, titled 'The Beast'. Didn't end well for most of the Russian crew. The film's production actually bought a couple of T55 tanks the Israelis had captured and refitted as "Ti-67" tanks. In the movie the tank lost it's brakes at some point because the gunner drank all of the brake fluid, lol.

Dima Trolls; Elon Rolls

Former Russian President Dmitry Medvedev wrote some Twitter fan fiction over the weekend in which he hallucinated the fall of the West and the rise of the Fourth Reich. Elon Musk thought the thread was “epic.”
Musk's 2nd tweet: “Those are definitely the most absurd predictions I’ve ever heard, while also showing astonishing lack of awareness of the progress of artificial intelligence and sustainable energy.”

Musk has been mocking Russian officials for years. It was obviously sarcasm. The journalist is tilting at windmills - trying to create indignation and outrage for clicks. Criticizing him for using 2 exclamation points... How is this newsworthy??

Russia's Lavrov: Either Ukraine fulfils Moscow's proposals or our army will decide

Hopefully wherever these peace talks are held it's a nice conference room above the 10th floor with an open window to a beautiful view that Vlad and his buddy Sergei can enjoy on the way down.

No, the Russian MO for peace talks is to poison the other attending parties: (like in Turkey last March)

One thing that makes interpreting Musk's first, ambiguous, tweet difficult is he previously tweeted very pro-Putin propaganda encouraging Ukraine to capitulate to Russia. Fiona Hill said Musk was being used by Putin. That Putin support was far more egregious than this little trifle. His past actions made it easy for me to believe he was promoting more pro-Putin propaganda this time.

The other thing is that even if he was clearly being sarcastic (which he wasn't at first), he did Putin a favor by amplifying this tripe. Either he was not acting rationally and did not comprehend the impact of his actions or he thought this tripe was the sort of speech that deserves amplification. He clearly did Putin another solid. Elon had previously stressed the importance of not amplifying tripe. IMO it was Elon, more than the reporter doing their job, who was trying to create indignation and outrage for clicks.

It's not like the reporter baited him into this. All on his own, for no good reason, Musk did an outrageously stupid and counterproductive thing by promoting/amplifying more Putin propaganda. This level of dumbassery in high places is newsworthy.

You obviously don't know what "epic" means in the twitterverse in this context.

Elon can mock the former President and Prime Minister of Russia if he so chooses.

And Elon gave more aid to Ukraine yesterday afternoon than you or I will ever give.

Elon can mock the former President and Prime Minister of Russia if he so chooses.
Sure, he can amplify whatever speech he wants to amplify even if it violates his own policies. He overtly supported Russia over Ukraine the last time around so merely amplifying their vile speech this time is no biggie. These childish antics only help Russia by amplifying their posts. Either Elon is incompetent and clueless or he purposefully wanted to give Putin's puppet a wider audience. Or perhaps he just wanted to raise a ruckus to boost Twitter hits with no concern over helping a vile dictator. His gung-ho support for Putin the last time around makes it hard to tell.

It's wonderful that Elon is helping Ukraine. It would be even more wonderful if he stopped helping Russia as well.

Putin plays the egos of big men, gives them a sense that they can play a role. But in reality, they’re just direct transmitters of messages from Vladimir Putin.
If you don't know who Fiona Hill is, I highly recommend her recent Lex Fridman interview.

One thing that makes interpreting Musk's first, ambiguous, tweet difficult is he previously tweeted very pro-Putin propaganda encouraging Ukraine to capitulate to Russia. Fiona Hill said Musk was being used by Putin. That Putin support was far more egregious than this little trifle. His past actions made it easy for me to believe he was promoting more pro-Putin propaganda this time.

The other thing is that even if he was clearly being sarcastic (which he wasn't at first), he did Putin a favor by amplifying this tripe. Either he was not acting rationally and did not comprehend the impact of his actions or he thought this tripe was the sort of speech that deserves amplification. He clearly did Putin another solid. Elon had previously stressed the importance of not amplifying tripe. IMO it was Elon, more than the reporter doing their job, who was trying to create indignation and outrage for clicks.

It's not like the reporter baited him into this. All on his own, for no good reason, Musk did an outrageously stupid and counterproductive thing by promoting/amplifying more Putin propaganda. This level of dumbassery in high places is newsworthy.
Cognitive dissonance. Elon helped Ukraine win the war with starlink etc, clearly he is not pro Russia. He just is a rationalist who is okay with being publicly wrong sometimes in order to be less wrong over time. He proposed a plan for what he thought would be best for Ukraine and the world long term. Basically the plan was that Ukraine gives up Crimea and the Donbas region get's UN control and later an referendum to decide their fate. Sure that sucks for Ukraine, but does it suck more than extending the war? Hundreds of Ukrainians are dying every day, more are getting injured, millions are without power, GDP is down 30% etc. Maybe one more year of war and they can reclaim Crimea, but at what costs? Elon did his estimate and thought it came up on the side that his proposal was correct. He might be wrong, that happens, but he is clearly pro-Ukraine.

You obviously don't know what "epic" means in the twitterverse in this context.

And Elon gave more aid to Ukraine yesterday afternoon than you or I will ever give.
One thing I've always appreciated about "MrStark" is simple clear vision - the ability to see/state the obvious.

Cognitive dissonance. Elon helped Ukraine win the war with starlink etc, clearly he is not pro Russia. He just is a rationalist who is okay with being publicly wrong sometimes in order to be less wrong over time. He proposed a plan for what he thought would be best for Ukraine and the world long term. Basically the plan was that Ukraine gives up Crimea and the Donbas region get's UN control and later an referendum to decide their fate. Sure that sucks for Ukraine, but does it suck more than extending the war? Hundreds of Ukrainians are dying every day, more are getting injured, millions are without power, GDP is down 30% etc. Maybe one more year of war and they can reclaim Crimea, but at what costs? Elon did his estimate and thought it came up on the side that his proposal was correct. He might be wrong, that happens, but he is clearly pro-Ukraine.
When you allow the means/method to achieve even the slightest success, you validate the approach and invite more of the same. The people that are dying for the cause should make the decision (IMO).

When you allow the means/method to achieve even the slightest success, you validate the approach and invite more of the same. The people that are dying for the cause should make the decision (IMO).
Elon proposed the plan, he didn't claim that he should decide. Often Elon does this, he says what he thinks is right and hopes that the relevant people listen or at least that they realize that some (by many considered rational) people have other ideas.

But yeah, I think Elon assumed that USA had the option to put some requests along with their military support that Ukraine should consider peace talks if they wanted to receive military support. Is this right? Maybe for the US and that should be the goal of the US government. For the world maybe that could lower the risk nuclear war. For Ukraine, maybe not.

I am not saying that he is right, I am saying that he did a his best guess, came up with an answer, said it loud to the world, let leaders consider it and then make their decisions.

Lol. He was clearly being sarcastic and trolling him. The word epic alone should have clued you in. I.e. Your hot take on this is epic.

I have been very critical and cringe at most of his tweets but I feel like people are now over reacting and trying to make everything he does into a big conspiracy.

Lol. He was clearly being sarcastic and trolling him. The word epic alone should have clued you in. I.e. Your hot take on this is epic.

I have been very critical and cringe at most of his tweets but I feel like people are now over reacting and trying to make everything he does into a big conspiracy.
100%!

which seems to be a trend with those looking for attention on social media platforms