Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting take on the effects of systematic lying.

I think that came out about a month ago, but it lays out the damage done by systemic lying. Very good.

Interesting article that provides some documentation to the observations made by @wdolson.

Russia is running out of most things needed to keep the war going. They have some production, but it won't be enough.

The Dictators Russia is allegedly closing it's borders within a couple of days...

A bit of closing the barn after the horses escaped. Most of the men who could get out have already left.

In other news, Trent Telenko on his estimates of Russian dead to wounded ratios and what's going to cause a lot more casualties in the coming months: cold injuries such as frostbite, hypothermia, trench foot, etc.
Thread by @TrentTelenko on Thread Reader App

The Russians do have the advantage that most of their troops grew up in places that have brutal winters, but few of these men have had to live outside in the winter and alcohol abuse is a serious problem among the troops. Alcohol causes someone to lose heat quicker in a cold environment and it causes people to do reckless things.

He points out that the Russians had about 4000 KIA last week. That equals about 10,000 total casualties by his math. Add on the cold injury levels the US Army saw in 1944 and that adds another 6000 casualties a week. No army, even a loss tolerant one like Russia can sustain 16,000 casualties a week out of around 100K to 200K in the field. Probably closer to 100K. By mid-winter the Russians aren't going to have enough troops to hold any of the territory they currently hold. Even with the army feeding in mobiks as fast as they can mobilize them. The cold is going to cause equipment to break down too, and they aren't going to recover many of the uniforms from the dead. They will probably be running out of uniforms soon. There are already signs of shortages there.

There is talk of Russia feeding some of the mobiks into the fight now and training up the rest for a spring offensive. I never thought they could train up enough, but they will probably end up having to commit their half trained troops before spring just to hold the line. Just like Japan did with their air power in early October 1944. They fed them into the fight before they were ready and they got wiped out.

Sun Tzu: Never Interrupt Your Enemy When He Is Making A Mistake

Ukraine is perfectly happy to grind down the Russian army with granades from drones, some targeted strikes at HQ or taking out some bombers in Russia.

Russia is too proud to admit that they are making mistakes, their top down system lacks a good feedback mechanism. So this will continue for a while until Ukraine feels it's time to move forward again...

The weather in Ukraine has been mild. Tomorrow it's supposed to be 10 C in Luhansk and it looks like it's going to be close to 10 C in Mariupol. But the weather is going to change later this week. By the 7th real winter weather is moving in with the high in Luhansk being -7C and Mariupol with a high of -1 C. Temps get colder the next few days.

The ground may begin to freeze which will free up Ukraine to move again.

Ukrainian rockets struck a building housing Russian soldiers in an occupied city in Donetsk early on New Year’s Day, killing 63 service members, the Russian Defense Ministry said on Monday. Ukraine claimed that hundreds were killed, but even the lower figure would represent one of the deadliest single strikes against Russian forces in Ukraine since the war began.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/0...l-called-the-attack-in-donetsk-a-massive-blow

So much plastic surgeries in Russia, so much botox and facelifts. Maybe time to change my avatar so I don't give people ideas!

Another term for "enlarging" is "blowing up", which has two meanings. I think what's really happening is the less positive one for Russia.

I only watched about 30 seconds and that's about the most plastic television I've ever seen.

This is a disgrace and it makes me nauseous:

A Google translate excerpt that I've adjusted somewhat from an article in Swedish. It's published by this paper:

It is probably THE leading daily financial paper in Sweden. It's abbreviated to "Di".

"A double message: Ikea is still making money in Russia

The Ikea sphere says it is scaling down in Russia and Belarus. But in the 14 huge Russian shopping complexes that the group runs, commerce has continued uninterrupted since the invasion.
'History will examine who was involved and contributed to maintaining a normal state in Russia,' says retail expert Magnus Ohlsson to Di.

Updated: January 3, 2023, 6:27 p.m Published: January 3, 2023, 6:25 p.m [..."

EDIT: Managed to miss that it's paywalled...

Source (in Swedish):

Last edited:
This is a disgrace and it makes me nauseous:

A Google translate excerpt that I've adjusted somewhat from an article in Swedish. It's published by this paper:

It is probably THE leading daily financial paper in Sweden. It's abbreviated to "Di".

"A double message: Ikea is still making money in Russia

The Ikea sphere says it is scaling down in Russia and Belarus. But in the 14 huge Russian shopping complexes that the group runs, commerce has continued uninterrupted since the invasion.
'History will examine who was involved and contributed to maintaining a normal state in Russia,' says retail expert Magnus Ohlsson to Di.

Updated: January 3, 2023, 6:27 p.m Published: January 3, 2023, 6:25 p.m [..."

Source (in Swedish):

Didn't Ikea shut down all russian stores in July?
I remember russians saying they will start making furniture at their prisons, will be cheaper than Ikea.

Didn't Ikea shut down all russian stores in July?
I remember russians saying they will start making furniture at their prisons, will be cheaper than Ikea.

They have closed their blue and yellow stand-alone Ikea-stores. But they apparently also run 14 huge shopping malls branded "Mega". And these are all still open according to the Swedish paper.

Long but very good scholarly analysis re war, history, reasons and outcomes from a Romanian diplomat via Google translate.

Warning, it is long, maybe 20-30 min read.