Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FrUm7_uX0AAsxlV

huge losses again. Yesterday we saw a giant number of MLRS systems something out of normal.

Point taken

The US could contract with a civilian salvage ship to sail into the Black Sea. US military personnel could meet the ship once it's in the sea and the US military people carry out the actual salvage. Then before returning to the Mediterranean all military personnel leave the ship along with all military equipment. If they can't fly everything off the ship, it can be done with locally hired ships from Romania.

If the US needs to encourage the Turks to only look at this as a civilian operation with regards the Montreaux Convention, they could offer the Turks some sweet deals on military hardware or some other perks. Erdogan is probably getting a bit nervous about his money coming from Russia drying up, increased aid from the US would help fill the gap. Turkey is also trying to recover from the earthquakes.
On the Nordstream pipelines in the Baltic matter : in my previous life I have mobilised and authorised diving activities on the various pipelines and flowlines (etc) I have had responsibility for. Plus other subsea and seabed activities. There are circumstances in which pipelines can be awkward to locate, but I don't think that these circumstances apply to the Nordstream pipelines. However the Nordstream pipelines are non-trivial structures at a significant depth (~80m from memory) so one doesn't casually have a go. But clearly someone did, and very successfully so. It will be interesting to see what evidence becomes publically available.

======

On the Black Sea matter of recovering the MQ-9 stuff. The Montreux Convention basically rules out transit of any submarines except for the defined Black Sea states (of which the USA is definitely not one). So thoughts of moving a US submarine into the Black Sea through the Dardanelles are pretty much nipped in the bud. In any case submarines per se are not terribly helpful, except as carriers for the various 'military' swimmer/etc delivery vehicles. The sonars on a typical 'warfare' submarine aren't really designed to go scanning the seabed for light aircraft wreckage at ~800m or so.

Also the Turks have now recognised a state of war is de facto in existence, and in accordance with the treaty have closed the Dardanelles to all military traffic, including NATO vessels. My recollection is that the US flags its auxiliaries as USN, which is different than the (uncommon) UK practice of flagging its auxiliaries under the blue ensign as RFA, not RN. The implication is that the USN would struggle to convince the Turks that a USN auxiliary (however recently 'taken up from trade', i.e. chartered) was not a military vessel. Especially if it had any form of submarine strapped to its deck. (By the way I cannot recall if any significant UK auxiliary exceeding the 15,000 tonne single-vessel-limit has ever transited under the treaty). The Turks are very serious about ensuring the treaty is complied with.

Much more likely in my opinion is that - in due course - the US may charter some civilian vessels that are already in the Black Sea, and utilise them out of Romanian ports/etc. Or use the various vessels that the Romanians and Bulgarians (ie. NATO states) already have in the Black Sea. They have probably already used those and the aviation assets (primarily helos) to sweep for any floating debris that the Russians haven't already snagged. There was some internet chatter that some Russian small vessels had recovered some debris, but there was little proof of evidence behind that. I guess we will find out. The US will hope that the heavy and interesting bit - namely the podded sensor(s) - broke off on seasurface impact and is by now safely a very long way down, buried in the mud. Trying to locate something about a foot long in the mud and likely greatly dispersed well away from wherever the light wreckage went is unlikely to be easy. (caveat being I don't know if the MQ9 has a pinger, but even so the batteries in those don't last that long). The sort of gear required to locate it is generally deployed off of fairly small vesels and so no need to utilise significant warships at all. (and it can all be aircraft-delivered to ports/airfields in the area). If they do locate it then retrieval would be next on the list, and that might require something more significant if they went the manned semisub route, as opposed to the USV route. Personally I would expect the USV route. The Russians have many of the same capabilities, but in reality given the location etc I don't think it will be that high on their list of priorities except for the opportunistic sweep they have also probably already done.

Clearly the US is downplaying the short term significance of this. It is not really in anyone's interests to make too great a political hoo hah out of it right now. However I expect some US overwatch assets will be in evidence from now on. Much the same way as the UK has put its overwatch assets (Typhoons) out alongside its ELINT aircraft ever since the Russians accidentally loosed off a missile from their interceptor several months ago. Whether that was a genuine switchology whoops, or a deliberate accidental release, is not something I expect to become public. But nonetheless the UK has put Typhoons out alongside the ELINT aircraft ever since.

=====

On a slightly different matter I get a lot of military aviation training traffic around me. For example a pair of jungly Merlins have just gone over. I distinctly get the feeling that the low flying altitude restrictions have been adjusted downwards.

Last edited:
It is an effective approach to avoid escalation and the need to respond.
Say the Russians were dumping fuel on the drone.
Say one screwed up and ran into the drone damaging it and bringing it down.
Give the Russians a few minutes to deny everything.
Release the footage showing two of the passes including a damaged propeller following one of the passes.
Simply state Russian pilots are too incompetent to be held responsible for their stupidity and lack of talent - no need to respond.

FrUm7_uX0AAsxlV

huge losses again. Yesterday we saw a giant number of MLRS systems something out of normal.

In the latest release I only see 1 MLRS taken out, but the 15 March release had 12. In the 16 March release the Russians lost over 1000 troops.

My partner came across a story of a New Zealand volunteer medic in Bakhmut who found a Ukrainian POW in a basement who had been held there 42 days. All the other POWs with him had died. The Russians had bugged out and left the prisoners to die.

That's an indication the Ukrainians have taken back something that the Russians held a while.

On the Black Sea matter of recovering the MQ-9 stuff. The Montreux Convention basically rules out transit of any submarines except for the defined Black Sea states (of which the USA is definitely not one). So thoughts of moving a US submarine into the Black Sea through the Dardanelles are pretty much nipped in the bud. In any case submarines per se are not terribly helpful, except as carriers for the various 'military' swimmer/etc delivery vehicles. The sonars on a typical 'warfare' submarine aren't really designed to go scanning the seabed for light aircraft wreckage at ~800m or so.

I didn't propose regular submarines. The only ones that would be useful for this task would be unmanned remote controlled subs. There are a number of those used by private salvage companies.

Also the Turks have now recognised a state of war is de facto in existence, and in accordance with the treaty have closed the Dardanelles to all military traffic, including NATO vessels. My recollection is that the US flags its auxiliaries as USN, which is different than the (uncommon) UK practice of flagging its auxiliaries under the blue ensign as RFA, not RN. The implication is that the USN would struggle to convince the Turks that a USN auxiliary (however recently 'taken up from trade', i.e. chartered) was not a military vessel. Especially if it had any form of submarine strapped to its deck. (By the way I cannot recall if any significant UK auxiliary exceeding the 15,000 tonne single-vessel-limit has ever transited under the treaty). The Turks are very serious about ensuring the treaty is complied with.

The US has a history of contracting with private companies that do quasi military work. Evergreen Aviation here in the Portland area was contracted to move cargo in SE Asia in places where the US didn't want a direct US presence. Some of those private companies are likely CIA fronts.

A private salvage vessel could sail into the Black Sea with whatever the Turks would object to removed and any extra equipment needed could be shipped to Romania by cargo plane and mated back up with the ship once they arrive in Romania.

Much more likely in my opinion is that - in due course - the US may charter some civilian vessels that are already in the Black Sea, and utilise them out of Romanian ports/etc. Or use the various vessels that the Romanians and Bulgarians (ie. NATO states) already have in the Black Sea. They have probably already used those and the aviation assets (primarily helos) to sweep for any floating debris that the Russians haven't already snagged. There was some internet chatter that some Russian small vessels had recovered some debris, but there was little proof of evidence behind that. I guess we will find out. The US will hope that the heavy and interesting bit - namely the podded sensor(s) - broke off on seasurface impact and is by now safely a very long way down, buried in the mud. Trying to locate something about a foot long in the mud and likely greatly dispersed well away from wherever the light wreckage went is unlikely to be easy. (caveat being I don't know if the MQ9 has a pinger, but even so the batteries in those don't last that long). The sort of gear required to locate it is generally deployed off of fairly small vesels and so no need to utilise significant warships at all. (and it can all be aircraft-delivered to ports/airfields in the area). If they do locate it then retrieval would be next on the list, and that might require something more significant if they went the manned semisub route, as opposed to the USV route. Personally I would expect the USV route. The Russians have many of the same capabilities, but in reality given the location etc I don't think it will be that high on their list of priorities except for the opportunistic sweep they have also probably already done.

Romania would probably be the only country bordering the Black Sea which could be utilized for vessels. Ukraine pretty much doesn't have much left and while Bulgaria has been providing aid to Ukraine on the sly, they publicly can't be seen doing that. The political situation in Bulgaria is not very pro-Ukraine right now. I don't know if Romania has any ships that would work for a search and salvage operation.

Clearly the US is downplaying the short term significance of this. It is not really in anyone's interests to make too great a political hoo hah out of it right now. However I expect some US overwatch assets will be in evidence from now on. Much the same way as the UK has put its overwatch assets (Typhoons) out alongside its ELINT aircraft ever since the Russians accidentally loosed off a missile from their interceptor several months ago. Whether that was a genuine switchology whoops, or a deliberate accidental release, is not something I expect to become public. But nonetheless the UK has put Typhoons out alongside the ELINT aircraft ever since.

=====

On a slightly different matter I get a lot of military aviation training traffic around me. For example a pair of jungly Merlins have just gone over. I distinctly get the feeling that the low flying altitude restrictions have been adjusted downwards.

NATO air reservists getting in their training just in case? Training for on the deck air tactics?

The Montreux Convention, agreed to in 1936, prohibits submarines from passing through the Bosporus Strait, which connects the Black Sea to the Mediterranean.

Russian Black Sea Sub Deployments to Mediterranean Could Violate Treaty
news.usni.org › 2020/07/08 › russian-black-sea-sub-deployments-to-medit...

I'm well aware (long before this conversation) of the Montreux Convention. But Russia understands only ONE thing - strength.

I understand the implications of passing a sub through the Bosporus Strait. But that drone is OUR property, and should be protected and treated as such.

The ENTIRE proliferation of stealth technology to Russia and China can be traced back to their acquisition of the Stealth 117A fighter shot down over Bosnia in the 1990s. These countries are very good at tearing something apart and seeing how it works. They are NOT so good at innovating and coming up with something themselves (yes, there are notable exceptions, but in bulk that statement is true).

US releases video of Russian fighter jet forcing down reaper drone:

Yeah, clear video evidence that this was done on purpose.

Arguments for recovering the drone aside, I think our best response would be to increase our support for Ukraine after this incident. F16s? ATACMS? Longer range anti-ship missiles?

At least one person was killed and two were injured in an explosion that caused a fire at an FSB Border Service Department building in Russia, local authorities said.