Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rust...anybody seen this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok so this happened to my car a couple of times but figured it out. After washing the car water gets trapped in the front grill and comes into contact with some of the metal parts behind the front plastic pieces. So after washing I just take a shop vac and vacuum out the hidden water and I have never had an issue since.

I reported rust spots by the front louvers to my SvC. They said there is a part rusting behind the bumper that was revised after a certain VIN range to no longer rust, and they have ordered the part. Not sure what it is, though. This is where I'm a little disappointed that Tesla doesn't automatically apply updated components to my vehicle during annual service - only if it's a proactive campaign or if I complain about something specific that is covered by a service bulletin. OH well.

Reactions: newtman
...My understanding from the SC is that the "part" they ordered is actually a kit containing what is needed to re-coat the steel part. It was explained that there has been a "handful" of units where the factory coating process "missed" some of the steel and left it exposed...

As near as I can tell, without seeing it disassembled, is that the water appears to have entered through the louvers at the front of the wheel wells when I was washing mud out with a pressure washer...

I just got my 70D back from the Service Centre and saw exactly this when I took it to rinse it off (I snuck it out without their wash).

Car was sitting in the service lot, when normally it wouldn't be sitting for much time at all :wink:

I took delivery of my PD back in July. My car has never seen rain or even a wet road. After the first few car washes, I had the same problem.

My SC researched this with Tesla. It turns out that a few thousand card went out without a coating on the front bumper.

They developed a spray nozzle to apply the coating and shipped it to my SC.

The only problem after that was they didn't allow time to dry. It came out all over the front of my car.

They assured me that this was not problematic of any other areas on the car.

My car was built in Mar 2016, and is exhibiting this issue. Decatur SC suspects improperly coated steel component behind front bumper. I will schedule a service visit, and post an update.

My Model S has 2400 total miles. I just found this on both sides and haven't seen mention of it on the Tesla threads...I'm pretty sure this is a result of washing the car since it's winter here... If you know what causes it, tell me. It looks like something made of steel hidden in there needs a coat of paint! <br><br>This is my first attempt to post a pic on this thread...forgive me if I blew it!<br>
<br>
Cheers!<br>
John
Thanks for posting with picture. My S is similar vintage, 13XXXX. I just went down with a bright light and checked the intake area for the orange spots and found some. The car has not been washed since purchase but has been in some rain. The spots are fresh, bright orangeish. Will be checking with TS. The car was delivered late March and has about 700 miles on it.

My car had the same orange spotting/residue by the front right fog light area. I first noticed it about week after I picked up the car (Feb 16). Initially, I just washed it and didn't think too much of it. But recently it came back, so I dropped it off with Tesla to check out. I'll let you know what they find out today when I pick up my car. Worse part of this issue is I got an ICE for a loaner car! They ran out of Tesla loaners.

What spray nozzle? the one I wash with? Nope...

After taking a closer look after my post, it appears the water enters from around the headlights and exits from the rear edges of the fender openings as the photo shows.
Nothing above the car is a source. There is no rust residue above the openings in the fenders. I expect that someone here has seen this. My suspicion is that after washing the car, water collects on something made of unprotected steel and the car sits overnight while the rust forms, then when I drive it, the rusty water spills out. Whatever it is, is behind/below the headlights, out of view...

This pic shows active rust forming on the left side behind the nose cone. The left side had much more rust than the right.
I will pursue this with the Service Center. 2400 miles is nothing.
John:smile:

Just cleaned the same issue, like you I had cleaned the car then parked . Saw the rust after moving after a couple days.

s
My car had the same orange spotting/residue by the front right fog light area. I first noticed it about week after I picked up the car (Feb 16). Initially, I just washed it and didn't think too much of it. But recently it came back, so I dropped it off with Tesla to check out. I'll let you know what they find out today when I pick up my car. Worse part of this issue is I got an ICE for a loaner car! They ran out of Tesla loaners.

So what is the rust, and what did they do?

They ordered a special paint from Fremont and will paint the metal bumper underneath. Apparently it's out of stock. Maybe they missed a lot of cars! :(

Thanks mine has 90 miles and I already have the rust, but then again I washed the car and then left it parked for a couple days. Waiting on getting protective film. I will let them know so they can start ordering that paint.

My Jan. '13 car was parked outside for 10 days while we were on vacation. Apparently there were some heavy rain storms while we were away and lots of rusty water came out of the front right side when I moved the car out of the driveway.
I just went back through my service tickets and found this from October 2013:

Concern: Customer states: rust on front fins. Please check bumper reinforcement
Cause: Front bumper reinforcement rusting
Correction: Bumper/Fascia General Diagnosis
Replaced front crash bumper with updated part.
Part:
ASSY - BUMPER SYSTEM FR NA (6005884-00-H)
Pay Type: Warranty

Now my car has over 50K miles and no longer covered under warranty. How much of a concern is this?

IMG_20160825_073604.jpg IMG_20160825_074006.jpg