Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rust in centre hub of new Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Owned my Model 3 for three months (2500 miles) and noticed some rust in the hubs of all four wheels after washing.Removed the Tesla centre caps and have taken a some pictures. Baffled, what is accelerating the rust issue?

Wheels are reputable T Sportline aftermarket

Any advice would be appreciated 👍🏼

Attachments

• IMG_7909.jpg
    IMG_7909.jpg
    480.4 KB · Views: 470
  • IMG_7913.jpg
    IMG_7913.jpg
    620 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_7918.JPG
    IMG_7918.JPG
    511.3 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_7919.JPG
    IMG_7919.JPG
    530 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_7920.JPG
    IMG_7920.JPG
    480.9 KB · Views: 217
hub rust is normal but it does appear like you have a little more than expected. If it really bothers you, use a wire brush to clean the area and existing surface rust and then apply naval jelly or similar. You can also clean the area and paint with a rust-retarding product. But in the end, there isn't a ton you can do to avoid this.

The other thing I'd recommend you do is use a dryer (like a master blaster, metrovac, air compressor, leaf blower, etc.) to dry your wheels/etc after washing. Looks like you are getting some water pooling behind the cap so you want to blow as much of it out during the drying process.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the feedback

At this point want to get to the bottom of it before it begins to discolour the T Sportline alloys

When wire brushing to remove the rust do this dry or use a lubricant?

Also would copper grease be ok to apply inside wheel hub to prevent further rust?

Thanks guys. Appreciate the feedback

At this point want to get to the bottom of it before it begins to discolour the T Sportline alloys

When wire brushing to remove the rust do this dry or use a lubricant?

Also would copper grease be ok to apply inside wheel hub to prevent further rust?
I would wire brush dry and use an ceramic paste instead of copper grease.

Reactions: MODEL+
As others have stated, hub rust is completely normal--however a bit of "why": Hubs are made of a high-ferrous content metal--so rusts very quickly when exposed to atmosphere. There are a ton of industrial applications though where this is considered normal and actually a thing oxide film is "protective". Not necissarily the case with the hubs on the 3, however it falls into the same general metallurgic use-case.

I spray Wurth SBS Brake Treatment II on mine, and also on the discs and bells of the disc. Totally eliminates the rust. Reapply every year. Prior to treatment I used a drill bit with a steel brush to remove all existing rust.

Note that I do remove the calipers and rotors to fully treat them and also to fully get to the hub and dust shield. If that is beyond your skill set you should take it to a shop and have them do it. It's not that hard if you have the right tools and the torque specs. ;-) This product is a bit hard to find though and the link below is the only place that consistently has it in stock. Being in Europe I had to order from here and use a shipment service (stackry) that can process Hazmat shipments to consolidate and ship to Switzerland. No biggie as I ordered in quantity with other things to make it cost efficient and have a good stock to last me years.

Found this gem of a product via this forum post:

Last edited:
What's the best way to tackle this in terms of anti rust protection?

Fine steel wool corroded area off and seal with grease or paint?

Water seems to get in to the centre cap and has no way of escaping

ACF 50 - just don't get it on your brakes. If its good enough for Concorde it will be good enough for your Tesla!

Reactions: webbah
ACF 50 - just don't get it on your brakes. If its good enough for Concorde it will be good enough for your Tesla!

Awesome! I'm ordering some of this right away. However it looks like they recommend Corrosion Block for cars. It's the same but a little thicker? I've been using some anti-seize which helped quite a bit, and then tried some Wurth SBS Brake Treatment II which works really well for eliminating any brake noise and can help with corrosion. Combining this for the hubs and using the Wurth for the discs sounds like a brilliant combo!

Owned my Model 3 for three months (2500 miles) and noticed some rust in the hubs of all four wheels after washing.Removed the Tesla centre caps and have taken a some pictures. Baffled, what is accelerating the rust issue?

Interesting - have the exact same issue on my Y (same wheels too)

Interesting - have the exact same issue on my Y (same wheels too). How did you address the issue in the end?

Attachments

• 00812F02-561A-4E50-A5DA-3C806F9035D9.jpeg
    00812F02-561A-4E50-A5DA-3C806F9035D9.jpeg
    556.5 KB · Views: 127
  • 4CE65D94-1BC3-428D-AA52-30BB1F5DA154.jpeg
    4CE65D94-1BC3-428D-AA52-30BB1F5DA154.jpeg
    589.7 KB · Views: 155