Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rust on brake rotors and discolored calipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OGzRetC+S4CWS8mvI2%0Vw.jpg
I've had my X for 17+ months and I noticed something today which is a new problem. Suddenly, all four (4) brake rotors are covered with rust. in addition, the screws/bolts attaching the calipers are also rusted. And, all of the calipers are discolored. See picture. Anybody experiencing this? I live in California, drive on paved roads and take pretty good care of the X.

What will Tesla say and do?

View attachment 284994 I've had my X for 17+ months and I noticed something today which is a new problem. Suddenly, all four (4) brake rotors are covered with rust. in addition, the screws/bolts attaching the calipers are also rusted. And, all of the calipers are discolored. See picture. Anybody experiencing this? I live in California, drive on paved roads and take pretty good care of the X.

What will Tesla say and do?
This is normal for all cars. Brake rotors are made from soft steel which rusts. Same for the rusted hydraulic connections.
Winter, salt, water, rust... it's a tough life out there.
If you're really compulsive and it bothers you a lot, you could take them apart, clean off the rust and paint/powder coat the rusted areas (being careful not to get any paint on the pad contact surface). Would need to use high temperature paint since these get hot (probably why nobody paints them in the first place).

• Informative
Reactions: FlyF4