TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Rust on brake rotors and discolored calipers

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by KBurbridge14, Mar 7, 2018.

1. KBurbridge14

KBurbridge14 Member

OGzRetC+S4CWS8mvI2%0Vw.jpg I've had my X for 17+ months and I noticed something today which is a new problem. Suddenly, all four (4) brake rotors are covered with rust. in addition, the screws/bolts attaching the calipers are also rusted. And, all of the calipers are discolored. See picture. Anybody experiencing this? I live in California, drive on paved roads and take pretty good care of the X.

What will Tesla say and do?

2. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

Probably that everything is fine.

• Like x 1
  3. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

This is normal for all cars. Brake rotors are made from soft steel which rusts. Same for the rusted hydraulic connections.
    Winter, salt, water, rust... it's a tough life out there.
    If you're really compulsive and it bothers you a lot, you could take them apart, clean off the rust and paint/powder coat the rusted areas (being careful not to get any paint on the pad contact surface). Would need to use high temperature paint since these get hot (probably why nobody paints them in the first place).

• Informative x 1
  4. FlyF4

FlyF4 Member

rats. You beat me to it. Oh, your hood fell off? that's normal :eek: