Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rust Proofing M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I plan on keeping my M3 for 30 years and live in a climate where five months out of the year heavy salt is applied to roadways.
You do realize that most cars will be flying by then and those won't hit the salt on the road? Isn't that an enticing reason to replace the 3, which will only have a half the range left by then due to battery degradation?

I'll keep your post and in 5 years I'll challenge you to find one single piece of multi metal caused rust.

"It is unusual to see galvanic corrosion on aluminum in contact with stainless steel (passive). In contrast contact between copper, bronze, brass and different kinds of steel alloys (passive and active) and aluminum can cause severe corrosion so it is advisable to provide insulation between the two metals."

I don't agree with this...no sightseeing, I wouldn't drive in a tunnel. Elon can build his pods for the tunnel and charge for the tickets those who need a nap on the way to destination. He's probably not too eager to dig in the Canadian permafrost, he's got a lotta digging to do in CA first.

1) Far more likely to happen before flying cars, thus my intended point. :p
2) Who said you'd be driving?
3) Yes, tunnels are for commuting or generally getting somewhere else. They aren't at all about the trip.

The tear down video by Munro and associates. Some great ideas and some that make you shake your head.
I was amazed by the teardown video. I thought it represented Tesla well. I watched the entire thing. The suspension part that they had in the studio....they couldn't even figure out how or why it was designed the way it was and ultimately discovered it was ingenious.

What you need to watch is the teardown they do of other manufactures.

You might want to ask the 450K reservationists once they all get their cars. Its going to be a tough road ahead for you if you want to continue to be a cynic.

I was amazed by the teardown video. I thought it represented Tesla well. I watched the entire thing. The suspension part that they had in the studio....they couldn't even figure out how or why it was designed the way it was and ultimately discovered it was ingenious.

What you need to watch is the teardown they do of other manufactures.

You might want to ask the 450K reservationists once they all get their cars. Its going to be a tough road ahead for you if you want to continue to be a cynic.

Take the rose colored glasses off. They never thought it was ingenious. Just strange.

We will see how many of the reservation holders whatever the number is end up buying the car that was originally marketed as a $35,000.00 that qualified for a $7,500.00 Fed rebate plus state incentives. I think it is a great $26,500.00 or less car. Not such a great $50,000.00 plus car. I really suspect the next problem for Tesla will be finding buyers once the production numbers increase to 5,000+ cars per week.

• Disagree
Reactions: Runt8 and spectrum
Take the rose colored glasses off. They never thought it was ingenious. Just strange.

We will see how many of the reservation holders whatever the number is end up buying the car that was originally marketed as a $35,000.00 that qualified for a $7,500.00 Fed rebate plus state incentives. I think it is a great $26,500.00 or less car. Not such a great $50,000.00 plus car. I really suspect the next problem for Tesla will be finding buyers once the production numbers increase to 5,000+ cars per week.
Yes they did think it was ingenious. You are wrong.

Where have you been?

Tesla has 450K people waiting in line for the model 3 alone and have already reached 5K cars per week. They have a year of model 3's to make without even getting another reservation or establishing any kind of advertising.

Yes they did think it was ingenious. You are wrong.

Where have you been?

Tesla has 450K people waiting in line for the model 3 alone and have already reached 5K cars per week. They have a year of model 3's to make without even getting another reservation or establishing any kind of advertising.

They thought is was bizarre and overly expensive for no reason.

We will see how many of those reservations will turn into solid orders. Are they really at 5.000 cars per week? It should be an interesting earnings call this quarter. We will see if Elon answers real questions or makes a circus of the event again.

They thought is was bizarre and overly expensive for no reason.

We will see how many of those reservations will turn into solid orders. Are they really at 5.000 cars per week? It should be an interesting earnings call this quarter. We will see if Elon answers real questions or makes a circus of the event again.
Here's proof.

@ exactly 48:00 start listening: It was posted as a "clever idea". Listen for yourselves.

tesla model 3 teardown - Bing video

Why are you constantly short selling Tesla? Please explain.

Last edited:

It wasn’t marketed as a $35,000 car. It was marketed as a $35,000 base price for a car with at least 200 mile range. Elon said he thought the average sales price would be in the 40’s. When the smaller battery cars are made that will likely be true. Meanwhile the 310 mile version is an amazing value— half the price of a Model S for similar range.

Here's proof.

@ exactly 48:00 start listening: It was posted as a "clever idea". Listen for yourselves.

tesla model 3 teardown - Bing video

Why are you constantly short selling Tesla? Please explain.

You must be looking at a different video or have bad hearing. He did not call it a clever idea. He said it could be made of aluminum for less and be lighter and stronger. As he say's (49:50)"Quirky for the sake of quirky is not good business. At the end of the day you have to make a profit".

I really like what Tesla is doing and really hope the EV market grows. It is just that Tesla with it's debt load and poor manufacturing is not a good business case. Maybe if they get the help GM and Chrysler did and go thru a structured bankruptcy and remove the debt from the books and maybe a partner than can produce cars better. I just don't see them being able to compete in the mass market any time soon and be profitable.

• Disagree
Reactions: spectrum