Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rust spots under wrap - advice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I received my Model 3 in October 2019. It's a model 2020 VIN.

I directly installed mud guards from a third party at the front because I live in Quebec and we got bad road conditions during winter.
It didn't feel that I drove that much until I was able to wrap the car entirely in January 2020. Nothing of note at the time beside some paint drop.

We also change the mud guards to the one provided by Tesla at that time.

Fast-forward until now and I discover some rust spots both at driver and passenger sides under the wrapping. Those are faint spots although one or two are a bit stronger in their orange colour.

Should I wait to have holes to do anything ? Or is there options out there ?

It feels a bit weird to see rust developing under the wrapping.

Thanks.

Hello,

As for the mud guards it was just to show/tell that I did take care of my care as soon as I had it.
And as my wrapp is a matte transparent one, I didn't needed to remove it to spot the rust spots.
Here is a picture as of this morning of one of the strongest orange spot. Wrap is still on.
Any advices ?

Attachments

• IMG_20211012_073326.jpg
    IMG_20211012_073326.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 269
Based on the information provided so far, it sounds like you had some brake dust or other metallic particles on your paint when the PPF was applied. So, those particles eventually oxidized and formed rust spots. If this is the case, then the only way to remove those rust spots is to remove the PPF. You definitely want to get all the rust spots out of there, because eventually those rust spots will grow and start attacking the paint and may eventually reach/attack the metal panel itself. Perhaps that has already happened…. Hope not…

Thanks, make more sense explained like that. But surprise to get brake rust in a 3 months period, between reception and wrapping...
Even brand new cars sitting on a dealer’s lot can already have brake dust and/or other metallic particles on the paint surface, from the initial transport or test drives of the vehicle. Small metallic particles can rust very quickly (in a few weeks or even less) when exposed to the right conditions… moisture + air + heat. Think about what happens when PPF is applied to your vehicle. A lot of water is used/sprayed onto the paint surface. If your PPF installer did not properly de-contaminate/clean the paint surface prior to applying the film, then any metallic particles on the paint will be trapped underneath the wet PPF. Small metal particles + moisture + sun exposure (from the vehicle being outside)… this is an ideal condition for rust to develop.

Yup looks like brake dust. The iron remover should clear that right up. I don't know what effect the remover would have on the wrap, so maybe try with the clay bar first.
I am not convinced it is under the PPF. To have rust you must have iron + oxygen. PPF should inhibit oxygen reaching the iron.

Maybe the iron particles have embedded themselves in the PPF so they look to be under the PPF?

Have you tried to remove it with iron remover and / or clay bar?

I am not convinced it is under the PPF. To have rust you must have iron + oxygen. PPF should inhibit oxygen reaching the iron.

Maybe the iron particles have embedded themselves in the PPF so they look to be under the PPF?

Have you tried to remove it with iron remover and / or clay bar?
I quoted the wrong message.
I wanted to quote message #7 but I obviously clicked wrong reply-to and I dont see 'edit' button.

I’m pretty sure all PPFs are porous. How do you think all the water that is sprayed underneath the film during the installation process eventually evaporates??
Air/oxygen can travel through the film in both directions.
True.

I can only say that I have put PPF on bare metal and there were no rust when checking the area again after some time. Its on my motorcycle where some cables have rubbed against the paint exposing the steel underneath. This was several years ago I remember I specifically looked at that problem. I think it is time to have another look...

Thanks for correcting me! :)

Reactions: GreenHokie