Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

rust under front seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MYP here, 5/21 build date. Like others have reported, my driver seat control panel came loose thanks to the recent update, when a screw was replaced with a plastic pushpin. So while I'm under the seat to figure out that fiasco, I noticed extensive rust on both ends of a part called the tilt tube assembly. Checked the passenger seat, that same part is rusted too. This sucks.

Attachments

• IMG_3250.jpg
    IMG_3250.jpg
    606.4 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_3252.jpg
    IMG_3252.jpg
    350.6 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_3258.jpg
    IMG_3258.jpg
    440.5 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_3260.jpg
    IMG_3260.jpg
    387.3 KB · Views: 231
Rust on a new car is unacceptable. Like you, I've found rust hidden in places like the spot welds underneath the paint in the lift gate opening.

I looked under my seats this weekend while trying to figure out how the seat controls plastic piece came look and found the same rust on both sides of my June 2021 build MYLR. I was surprised as well.

@whitecat Do you have further info on the pushpin issue? I found a crack in the plastic next to the hole where the white plastic pushpin goes in. The pin had slipped out as well. I've heard some are having theirs replaced by Tesla and secured with a screw instead.

Attachments

• IMG-2500.jpg
    IMG-2500.jpg
    415.3 KB · Views: 216
I looked under my seats this weekend while trying to figure out how the seat controls plastic piece came look and found the same rust on both sides of my June 2021 build MYLR. I was surprised as well.

@whitecat Do you have further info on the pushpin issue? I found a crack in the plastic next to the hole where the white plastic pushpin goes in. The pin had slipped out as well. I've heard some are having theirs replaced by Tesla and secured with a screw instead.
I have an early build (March 2021) and my seat trim came with a t15 torx screw instead the white push pin that I believe the seats are now coming with. Kind of hard to see but you can see the screw I have from the factory. I've never had an issue like others have reported with the white push pin.

Attachments

• PXL_20211008_190715626.jpg
    PXL_20211008_190715626.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 156
  • PXL_20211008_190635651.jpg
    PXL_20211008_190635651.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 182
It literally looks like raw steel which is bazaar. A simple chem film to coat it would be expected. My guess is the did a fix while the seats were partially assembled which is pretty bush league. Someone had to know this steel would corrode without a coating.

It literally looks like raw steel which is bazaar. A simple chem film to coat it would be expected. My guess is the did a fix while the seats were partially assembled which is pretty bush league. Someone had to know this steel would corrode without a coating.
Makes me wonder where else they're using non-treated steel where it's not visible. Also wondering if older production date models are showing greater deterioration. Everyone... look under your seats!

On my late 2020 build. Appears to just be surface rust. I wish I could say I was surprised at this (or the awful spot welds) but it's consistent with my expectations for Tesla at this point.
Spot weld rust you say? Yep, here is mine on the tailgate opening. Easier to see with white paint.

Wonder where else is rusting on a car that is only 1.5 years old now?