Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rust under interior side dash trim 2015 Model S 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a used 2015 Tesla Model S 90D back in May and installed a subwoofer and amp in it a month or so ago. While doing this, I had to remove the interior side dash trim to pipe some cables through. After popping the trim off, I noticed a ton of what looks like rust as shown in the pictures. I searched the forums but couldn't find any similar posts. Has anyone else seen this? I have an appointment mid-November (out of town until then) at the service center for a lightly rattling sunroof after a repair to it so I added this rust information to have them look at it during the same visit. I'll respond here with what they say.

IMG_8724_Original.jpg
IMG_8725_Original.jpg

- John

That's an interesting place for rust... I believe that part is one of the few steel vs. alloy components in the car. It's a large part that extends all the way across the dash and supports the MCU / screens and steering unit. Given it's not exposed, it's likely not to cause any real issues with further degradation. Good thing it's covered!