Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rust under interior side dash trim 2015 Model S 90D

renzska

May 3, 2019
Utah
I purchased a used 2015 Tesla Model S 90D back in May and installed a subwoofer and amp in it a month or so ago. While doing this, I had to remove the interior side dash trim to pipe some cables through. After popping the trim off, I noticed a ton of what looks like rust as shown in the pictures. I searched the forums but couldn't find any similar posts. Has anyone else seen this? I have an appointment mid-November (out of town until then) at the service center for a lightly rattling sunroof after a repair to it so I added this rust information to have them look at it during the same visit. I'll respond here with what they say.

IMG_8724_Original.jpg
IMG_8725_Original.jpg

- John

SoCal Buzz

Early Adopter
Supporting Member
Oct 9, 2018
Orange County, CA, USA
That's an interesting place for rust... I believe that part is one of the few steel vs. alloy components in the car. It's a large part that extends all the way across the dash and supports the MCU / screens and steering unit. Given it's not exposed, it's likely not to cause any real issues with further degradation. Good thing it's covered!

renzska

May 3, 2019
Utah
Thanks for the replies. That helps with my concerns, and yes, the trim does a much better job of covering it up compared to say, lipstick. ;)

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC