Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rust Vulnerability?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My new 2020 M3P was delivered yesterday,

Chief among the Fit & Finish issues was the following: Both left & right front plastic wheel well liners have an opening where the fenders meet the rocker panels—see photo of left side. Through it, steel with only primer can be seen. Right in the path of sandblasting from the front tires, this looks like rust just waiting to happen and is my biggest concern. The following questions I asked over a month ago have still have not been answered by Tesla, although some Tesla Advisers have given opinions:
1. What measures are taken to avoid rust of the steel body parts, particularly the dog legs and rocker panels*?
2. How are steel and aluminum parts joined to avoid galvanic corrosion*?
* I would expect that standard techniques like cathodic dip, galvanizing, rust-resistant alloy, protective outer coating, etc. are employed. I have been battling with rust since the 1960s and expect that any new car I buy has been adequately designed to resist it. I am especially concerned since this is Tesla’s first car with steel body parts down low.
There is a 12 year rust warranty, but it only covers rust penetration from inside, so would not cover this case. It also is invalid if any 3rd party rustproofing or undercoating is applied.

Fender Liner Hole.jpg
I have a set of mud flaps from Evanex that should cover this hole, but they inexplicably have an open slot that lines up with it! Any comments or solutions will be much appreciated.

I have no clue why they designed that opening. At some point I threw a small piece of black gorilla duct tape over the hole. But now I’m running the amazon mud flaps which covers the hole. Was going it only run the flaps during the winter...but just going to leave them on year round now. PSA if anyone is going to run the amazon type mud flaps...file/sand down any sharp edges and throw on some ppf under the flaps to protect the paint. Super easy to do.

I would highly consider ppf. Bumper, hood, front fender, rockers and lower fender section in front of the rear wheels....as they will get sand blasted.

Reactions: XLR82XS
I would highly consider ppf. Bumper, hood, front fender, rockers and lower fender section in front of the rear wheels....as they will get sand blasted.
+2 for this. Right after delivery I had STEK PPF installed on the entire front end including full fenders, headlights, mirrors and extended rocker panels. (up the body hips on the quarter panels) I have seen photos of Model 3 rockers rusting due to sandblast effect from debris being thrown up to the rocker panels. PPF is a must for Teslas as we all know their paint quality is sub-par.

In the coming years there will be a lot of higher mileage cars in circulation that have destroyed paint. It's a terrible thing but I'm sure Tesla knows how bad their paint is and hopefully it is sorted out in the future.

Thanks for the advice, guys! Much appreciated. I also have a roll of black gorilla tape ready to cover that hole, but will wait until Tesla looks at it during Monday's mobile service appointment. There were several other fit & finish problems. I am definitely considering PPF on all forward-facing surfaces, rockers, and behind the rear wheels. Maybe also atop the rear bumper under the trunk lid opening and the wheel arches. Mud flaps alone are not enough here in New England.

Anyone have experience with Protection Plus in Shrewsbury, MA?

Well, Monday's visit was delayed to Wednesday, then they decided it is beyond the scope of mobile service, thus needs to come to a service center, so I took it to Watertown, MA on Friday, May 1. They gave me a Model S P85D loaner and kept my Model 3 until Monday afternoon ... they addressed all of the issues, but some were deemed "customer education". Tesla was able to fix most of the fit problems, as explained in titles of photos you can see via the following link to Flickr. It’s like the car was built in California and completed in Massachusetts!

Tesla
I will keep adding pictures with explanatory titles to Flickr, so save the link.

I was disappointed that some features of earlier Model 3 are no longer included: USB cables, Frunk bag hooks (now sold separately), Rear fog lights (Europe only and cannot be added via software) and especially dimming side mirrors. I have read about problems with these dimming mirrors, but expected that Tesla would fix, not abandon them. Our 2015 Volvo XC-60 has them ganged to the rear view mirror and they work very well.

My remaining concern is how to keep it from rusting, which is the subject of this thread. Tesla taped over the holes in the front fender liners with what looks like black gorilla tape, which you can see in a couple of the pictures. That was recommended by N54TT and XLR82XS and I was also going to do it anyhow. In the Tesla service report, they ignored that tape and wrote:
"Technician advised that gap in fender liner is there by design and no Tesla part can be be replaced to alter this design. Advise customer that, when available, the cold weather package from the Tesla website may alleviate the concern. Undercoating is NOT advised, as it can have adverse effects on.....
Correction: NO LABOR PERFORMED"

There is no cold weather package on the Tesla website. The post by Msjulie: Rust Vulnerability? shows that what is perhaps an earlier version does not work.

The Tesla guy who brought me to my car said "Don't worry, they are all aluminum and won't rust". He should have been trained better and promised to investigate with a magnet.

So my 2 fundamental questions regarding rust/corrosion vulnerability (see original post):
1. What measures are taken to avoid rust of the steel body parts, particularly the dog legs and rocker panels?
2. How are steel and aluminum parts joined to avoid galvanic corrosion?
have still not been answered! Where should I go next? They sent me a service evaluation to fill out. Will that have a place to seek answers? Except for this issue, I am pleased with Tesla service so far.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ajp558
Unfortunately rust at the bottom of rocker panels/fender is not unique to Tesla - the ritual of removing the fender lining to clean stuff out is something we did with our VW/Audi's though mostly in those cases the junk (leaves, other debris) would get in behind the fender lining from the drain holes at the windshield base. It's worse on the Tesla I think due to that hole there which seems to be related, wild @ss guess, to dealing with tolerances putting the body together

Anyone checked to see how the Y is built there?

Good question. I forgot to mention that the Model S P85D had no such hole in the fender liners nor missing paint around the door jambs. And as you can see in the pictures, it looks quite good after 5 New England winters.

Which brand are the mud flaps in the picture you posted?

My new 2020 M3P was delivered yesterday,

Chief among the Fit & Finish issues was the following: Both left & right front plastic wheel well liners have an opening where the fenders meet the rocker panels—see photo of left side. Through it, steel with only primer can be seen. Right in the path of sandblasting from the front tires, this looks like rust just waiting to happen and is my biggest concern. The following questions I asked over a month ago have still have not been answered by Tesla, although some Tesla Advisers have given opinions:
1. What measures are taken to avoid rust of the steel body parts, particularly the dog legs and rocker panels*?
2. How are steel and aluminum parts joined to avoid galvanic corrosion*?
* I would expect that standard techniques like cathodic dip, galvanizing, rust-resistant alloy, protective outer coating, etc. are employed. I have been battling with rust since the 1960s and expect that any new car I buy has been adequately designed to resist it. I am especially concerned since this is Tesla’s first car with steel body parts down low.
There is a 12 year rust warranty, but it only covers rust penetration from inside, so would not cover this case. It also is invalid if any 3rd party rustproofing or undercoating is applied.

View attachment 535179 I have a set of mud flaps from Evanex that should cover this hole, but they inexplicably have an open slot that lines up with it! Any comments or solutions will be much appreciated.

Right - at present Tesla is telling us that this (picture) is not covered. Because "road salt" is an external cause of rust. Our position is that driving in the winter is normal use.....

Attachments

• IMG_1002.jpeg
    IMG_1002.jpeg
    650.4 KB · Views: 2,277
INTRODUCTION
I love my new Model 3 Performance and want it to last. Having seen reports with scary pictures of rust-damaged Model 3s here on TMC (e.g. Figure 1) and elsewhere, I began this thread to help make decisions on how to best protect it. Getting answers took some time. This post includes findings and solutions that hopefully will also help others. Sources include Tesla*, TMC in this and other threads, other forums, Google searches, You Tube videos, and even consultation with a Non-Tesla Tesla garage. Thanks to all who contributed and apologies if I forgot to give credit.
* The Service Center nicely fixed most fit and finish issues, and finally answered most of my questions – see post#1

F1.jpg

Figure 1. From Juanpelota in post#10. Other similar caseshave also been reported.

RUST DIRECTION
Tesla applies an electro coating to all conductive surfaces before any painting. There are hints that steel is also galvanized:
1. Car & Driver: Tesla Model 3 Features and Specs
2. Comment in a post from 2 years ago:
“It´s galvanzides steel reg m3 specification! As most cars have today. Verzinkter Stahl rostet nur nach Beschädigung der Oberfläche.”
3. Tesla Roadside Assistance agent said that lower body steel parts are galvanized.
4. Some gray layers that look like galvanizing are showing in pictures like Figure 1.

Rust from the inside seems unlikely given the electro coating and galvanizing that Tesla applies, with confidence to include a long warranty. I ran across no pictures of rust-through from the inside of Model 3s. It usually takes years to show up, but is covered by Tesla’s 12-year warranty, provided you don’t add any rustproofing. Thus, for now, I am no longer concerned about rust from the inside.

Tesla has included some additional protective measures to avoid rust from the outside-in. There are plastic covers and a chip guard under the paint, along the bottom edges of the rockers, that extends up to about 1” from the door.

But rust from the outside-in is not covered by warranty and the model 3 seems to be vulnerable, as can be seen in Figure 1. and others like it, usually from Northern climates where sand and salt are used in winter. The wheels pick up this abrasive, corrosive mess from winter-treated roads and direct it at the lower body parts, particularly behind the front wheels as shown in Figure 1. In a short time, all of the protective measures, including the chip guard, are worn away, letting rust run rampant.

MYSTERY HOLE
The front plastic wheel well liners have a D-shaped opening where the fenders meet the rocker panels—see photo of left side in post#1. Through it, steel with only primer can be seen. Right in the path of sandblasting from the front tires, this looks like rust just waiting to happen! In post#4, Msjulie included the following interesting and relevant link:
FWIW PSA front fender liners collect garbage

NO ONE KNOWS FOR SURE THE PURPOSE OF THIS “MYSTERY HOLE” Some theories:
· A means to collect garbage
· A way to rinse out collected crud
· A way to allow for big assembly tolerances
· A vent
· An aerodynamic aid
· A way to get at fasteners inside (but there aren’t any)
· An assembly feature no longer used
· “strategically located to collect all the road crap that gets kicked up by the front wheels”
· “to act as a time capsule to collect samples of all the roads you've driven”
· “I think they're holes to enable easy removal of the lining - big enough to get a finger it to prise it open”

The last 3 of these come from an entire TMC thread on this subject:https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/holes-in-wheel-wells.169632/ - post-4100157
It concludes that mud flaps to cover the hole are the solution.

This was one item on my list of problems that led to a visit to a local Tesla Service Center. They covered these holes with black Gorilla Tape, which others have recommended and I was going to do anyhow.

I have never seen such a hole in any other car, including the Model S loaner. Msjulie, in post#4, astutely asked “Anyone checked to see how the Y is built there?” I tried to find one to look at and even posted in a Model Y forum, with no luck. So I took some screenshots during a few Model Y videos, as shown in Figure 2. Very recently, Tesla also told me that Model Y has no hole.

F2l.jpeg

F2r.jpeg

Figure 2. Model Y has no Mystery Hole and much better protection of wheel arches and rocker panels.

It appears that Tesla learned from Model 3 how to make Model Y more robust. Perhaps there will be aftermarket or Tesla kits to improve the Model 3. The Tesla Model 3 winter kit has just become available again, see: Model 3 All Weather Protection Kit
It includes only front mud flaps in 2 different sizes ($50). But these mud flaps only cover half of the hole! Installation requires you to cut off a plastic door underneath to access a fastener. They also offer rear dog leg PPF (Paint Protective Film- $50).

SOLUTIONS
Based upon what I have learned and recommendations of N54TT (post#2), XLR82XS (post#3) and others in other threads, I had the front end and all forward facing surfaces, the rockers, the doglegs, and the rear portion of the rear wheel arches PPF’d with clear, self-healing film. That was done by a local detailer Protection Plus in Shrewsbury, MA. Dave did a great job in less than a day and it has a 10-year warranty. He said mine had a decent paint job, except for lots of nibs.

I then installed mud flaps that protect the rear portion of all 4 wheel arches as well as cover the mystery hole (see Figures 3 and 4). I used Evannex flaps, but others have recommended similar ones in this and other threads. As suggested by N54TT, I sanded any sharp edges that would be contacting the PPF. These flaps have a clip that grabs the fender lip up high. I added another layer of 3M PPF there, just to increase protection against scratching the paint. There were small holes in the upper portions of the flaps, which I covered with black gorilla tape. Then I applied 2 coats of Turtle Wax ceramic coating over everything, including PPF and windows.

20200618_104557F3.jpg

Figure 3. Left Front Evannex Mud Flap
20200618_104526F4.jpg

Figure 4. Left Rear Evannex Mud Flap.
Rear bumper is plastic, so won’t rust, but sandblasting still takes off paint and looks ugly.

OTHER RELEVANT TMC THREADS
Home delivered, surface rust, rocker damage Home delivered, surface rust, rocker damage
Model 3 paint wearing off Model 3 paint wearing off

OTHER RUST ISSUES

Perhaps the earliest Model 3 rust issue was due to a front fender upper rear corner rubbing against the cowling, both steel. The following you tube video from Tech Forum (Northern Illinois) explains it well:
Good news is that Tesla will cover it. You can easily check the clearance by inserting a couple of credit cards in there. Mine is fine.

BTW, in a later YouTube video at 75K miles for the same white Model 3, Tech Forum reveled a problem exactly like Figure 1.

There have also been reports of crud collecting in the plastic rear panel below the rear bumper.

MAINTENANCE

If you have an older Model 3 that was not protected with any of the measures listed above, keep an eye on the vulnerable areas mentioned above: the rear portions of the wheel wells, the rockers, inside the mystery hole (you may want to remove the lower portion of the liner as in :PSA front fender liners collect garbage), the upper rear corner of the front fender, especially the left. Also, look above the plastic rear panel and remove anything that may have accumulated there. Depending on what you find, corrective measures may be needed. Begin with Tesla, since some of the issues may be covered under warranty.

If you have taken the suggested measures to avoid rust, it is still a good idea to, perhaps in the spring, remove the front mud flaps and taped-over mystery hole, then look at the vulnerable areas. You may want to remove the lower portion of the liner as in: PSA front fender liners collect garbage). Hopefully there will be no rust and you can just flush out the crud and re-tape, then reinstall the mud flaps. Also, look above the plastic rear panel and remove anything that may have accumulated there.

Please post if you know of other vulnerable areas or have any questions or comments. Good luck.

Last edited:
INTRODUCTION
I love my new Model 3 Performance and want it to last. Having seen reports with scary pictures of rust-damaged Model 3s here on TMC (e.g. Figure 1) and elsewhere, I began this thread to help make decisions on how to best protect it. Getting answers took some time. This post includes findings and solutions that hopefully will also help others. Sources include Tesla*, TMC in this and other threads, other forums, Google searches, You Tube videos, and even consultation with a Non-Tesla Tesla garage. Thanks to all who contributed and apologies if I forgot to give credit.
* The Service Center nicely fixed most fit and finish issues, and finally answered most of my questions – see post#1

View attachment 553458
Figure 1. From Juanpelota in post#10. Other similar caseshave also been reported.

RUST DIRECTION
Tesla applies an electro coating to all conductive surfaces before any painting. There are hints that steel is also galvanized:
1. Car & Driver: Tesla Model 3 Features and Specs
2. Comment in a post from 2 years ago:
“It´s galvanzides steel reg m3 specification! As most cars have today. Verzinkter Stahl rostet nur nach Beschädigung der Oberfläche.”
3. Tesla Roadside Assistance agent said that lower body steel parts are galvanized.
4. Some gray layers that look like galvanizing are showing in pictures like Figure 1.

Rust from the inside seems unlikely given the electro coating and galvanizing that Tesla applies, with confidence to include a long warranty. I ran across no pictures of rust-through from the inside of Model 3s. It usually takes years to show up, but is covered by Tesla’s 12-year warranty, provided you don’t add any rustproofing. Thus, for now, I am no longer concerned about rust from the inside.

Tesla has included some additional protective measures to avoid rust from the outside-in. There are plastic covers and a chip guard under the paint, along the bottom edges of the rockers, that extends up to about 1” from the door.

But rust from the outside-in is not covered by warranty and the model 3 seems to be vulnerable, as can be seen in Figure 1. and others like it, usually from Northern climates where sand and salt are used in winter. The wheels pick up this abrasive, corrosive mess from winter-treated roads and direct it at the lower body parts, particularly behind the front wheels as shown in Figure 1. In a short time, all of the protective measures, including the chip guard, are worn away, letting rust run rampant.

MYSTERY HOLE
The front plastic wheel well liners have a D-shaped opening where the fenders meet the rocker panels—see photo of left side in post#1. Through it, steel with only primer can be seen. Right in the path of sandblasting from the front tires, this looks like rust just waiting to happen! In post#4, Msjulie included the following interesting and relevant link:
FWIW PSA front fender liners collect garbage

NO ONE KNOWS FOR SURE THE PURPOSE OF THIS “MYSTERY HOLE” Some theories:
· A means to collect garbage
· A way to rinse out collected crud
· A way to allow for big assembly tolerances
· A vent
· An aerodynamic aid
· A way to get at fasteners inside (but there aren’t any)
· An assembly feature no longer used
· “strategically located to collect all the road crap that gets kicked up by the front wheels”
· “to act as a time capsule to collect samples of all the roads you've driven”
· “I think they're holes to enable easy removal of the lining - big enough to get a finger it to prise it open”

The last 3 of these come from an entire TMC thread on this subject:https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/holes-in-wheel-wells.169632/ - post-4100157
It concludes that mud flaps to cover the hole are the solution.

This was one item on my list of problems that led to a visit to a local Tesla Service Center. They covered these holes with black Gorilla Tape, which others have recommended and I was going to do anyhow.

I have never seen such a hole in any other car, including the Model S loaner. Msjulie, in post#4, astutely asked “Anyone checked to see how the Y is built there?” I tried to find one to look at and even posted in a Model Y forum, with no luck. So I took some screenshots during a few Model Y videos, as shown in Figure 2. Very recently, Tesla also told me that Model Y has no hole.

View attachment 553460
View attachment 553461
Figure 2. Model Y has no Mystery Hole and much better protection of wheel arches and rocker panels.

It appears that Tesla learned from Model 3 how to make Model Y more robust. Perhaps there will be aftermarket or Tesla kits to improve the Model 3. The Tesla Model 3 winter kit has just become available again, see: Model 3 All Weather Protection Kit
It includes only front mud flaps in 2 different sizes ($50). But these mud flaps only cover half of the hole! Installation requires you to cut off a plastic door underneath to access a fastener. They also offer rear dog leg PPF (Paint Protective Film- $50).

SOLUTIONS
Based upon what I have learned and recommendations of N54TT (post#2), XLR82XS (post#3) and others in other threads, I had the front end and all forward facing surfaces, the rockers, the doglegs, and the rear portion of the rear wheel arches PPF’d with clear, self-healing film. That was done by a local detailer Protection Plus in Shrewsbury, MA. Dave did a great job in less than a day and it has a 10-year warranty. He said mine had a decent paint job, except for lots of nibs.

I then installed mud flaps that protect the rear portion of all 4 wheel arches as well as cover the mystery hole (see Figures 3 and 4). I used Evannex flaps, but others have recommended similar ones in this and other threads. As suggested by N54TT, I sanded any sharp edges that would be contacting the PPF. These flaps have a clip that grabs the fender lip up high. I added another layer of 3M PPF there, just to increase protection against scratching the paint. There were small holes in the upper portions of the flaps, which I covered with black gorilla tape. Then I applied 2 coats of Turtle Wax ceramic coating over everything, including PPF and windows.

View attachment 553462
Figure 3. Left Front Evannex Mud Flap
View attachment 553463
Figure 4. Left Rear Evannex Mud Flap.
Rear bumper is plastic, so won’t rust, but sandblasting still takes off paint and looks ugly.

OTHER RELEVANT TMC THREADS
Home delivered, surface rust, rocker damage Home delivered, surface rust, rocker damage
Model 3 paint wearing off Model 3 paint wearing off

OTHER RUST ISSUES

Perhaps the earliest Model 3 rust issue was due to a front fender upper rear corner rubbing against the cowling, both steel. The following you tube video from Tech Forum (Northern Illinois) explains it well:
Good news is that Tesla will cover it. You can easily check the clearance by inserting a couple of credit cards in there. Mine is fine.

BTW, in a later YouTube video at 75K miles for the same white Model 3, Tech Forum reveled a problem exactly like Figure 1.

There have also been reports of crud collecting in the plastic rear panel below the rear bumper.

MAINTENANCE

If you have an older Model 3 that was not protected with any of the measures listed above, keep an eye on the vulnerable areas mentioned above: the rear portions of the wheel wells, the rockers, inside the mystery hole (you may want to remove the lower portion of the liner as in :PSA front fender liners collect garbage), the upper rear corner of the front fender, especially the left. Also, look above the plastic rear panel and remove anything that may have accumulated there. Depending on what you find, corrective measures may be needed. Begin with Tesla, since some of the issues may be covered under warranty.

If you have taken the suggested measures to avoid rust, it is still a good idea to, perhaps in the spring, remove the front mud flaps and taped-over mystery hole, then look at the vulnerable areas. You may want to remove the lower portion of the liner as in: PSA front fender liners collect garbage). Hopefully there will be no rust and you can just flush out the crud and re-tape, then reinstall the mud flaps. Also, look above the plastic rear panel and remove anything that may have accumulated there.

Please post if you know of other vulnerable areas or have any questions or comments. Good luck.
I’m new on the forum and I posted a question about the ‘mystery hole’ and was directed to your thread. Thank you for an excellent write-up. I too have intended to keep my M3 longer term but I’m becoming more concerned about future body protection flaws showing up and have lost a little confidence in that area with the car tbh. I have had boot sealer cracking (replaced and repainted by Tesla under warranty). Charge port resealed for water leak - again under warranty. I’m told this is quite common. Once again thanks for an excellent post.

Reactions: TonyJag