TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Rust

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by tmyl21, Sep 30, 2014.

1. tmyl21

tmyl21 Member

I haven't come across any posts relating to this so I decided to put it out there to see if other owners are experiencing this too.

Adding I haven't seen any models with this issue anywhere at superchargers, service centers nowhere. It's extremely unsightly and bothersome, well it's rust and it stands out big time maybe because it's back drop is a white MS with silver wheels, but nonetheless an eyesore.

Here's a couple pics with bad lighting and you can see it, but I assure you it's more visible when your next to the actual MS in light since it is inside the wheel. Attached is the driver's side back and front inside wheel pics...

Normal and acceptable or not?

Thanks All

Attached Files:

2. ThosEM

ThosEM Space Weatherman

It seems to be normal as I've got it too, as have all my previous cars except my BMW 3 series seems to be free of it. I've been tempted to pull the wheels, clean it off, and try to treat with some sort of rustproofing paint, but haven't gotten that far yet.

On the other hand, I'd be more worried in your case by the apparent cracks in the wheel rims near the roots of the spokes. Yikes! I have the 19 in wheels and haven't noticed anything like that yet.

3. tmyl21

tmyl21 Member

Thanks for the post...not cracks but dirt run-off just confirmed by running my finger across the rims

4. mrElbe

mrElbe Member

Rust on the hub of brake discs is quite common. My Mercedes cars have it too. If you are considering paint, then use a high heat paint.

5. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

In Norway Tesla will fix this for you, if you ask:

rust.jpg

(This is not my wheel but a fellow Norwegian owner - I'm assuming they have just brushed and painted the rusty part with metal paint)

6. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Yeah, it's pretty normal for brake rotors on any car, in a salty environment especially. Just needs a cosmetic clean-up, per Johan.

7. MoeMistry

MoeMistry Local Vendor - SoCal

+1...I can always tell a car is from the east coast...rust on rotors and caliper bolts. Salt on the roads in winter is pretty harsh stuff.

8. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

Yes, I agree with the others that it is "Normal" but, in my opinion it is still unacceptable. Like the others, I am not sure what to do about it though. I asked Service and was told that, unfortunately, it IS normal. No solution was given and they did not provide a "fix" for it.

9. iadbound

iadbound Member

We have some excellent resources on the fine points of detailing (i.e., MoeMistry). Might I suggest a PM to him, or maybe he'll respond here.

10. caddieo

caddieo Member

I recall reading somewhere that the MS is more prone to rust on the brake rotors since the brakes are not used as much compared to ICE brakes, thanks to its regenerative braking.

11. tmyl21

tmyl21 Member

@iadbound MoeMistry had chimed in and thanks to all others as well.

Tesla is going to 'wire brush' them and clean them up per a conversation this morning with the SC. My MS is going in in November for something else and it was stated to me that at that time the SC will clean them up I guess and I'll just hope it comes back looking like the MS rotor hubs/hats in the above photo posted by Johan. Just a shame of an issue for a car in this class with this price tag. Especially when you consider it's revolutionary everything else and aluminum body that won't rust. I just say well after all and all....it's still a car.

12. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

This is true, but what's really ugly on the OP picture, and on my car, is the rust on the part closer to the center than the brake disc/rotor, the part which I believe is correctly termed the wheel hub. That part gets the same ammount of rust on it regardless of how much or little the brake is used. Tesla really should have somehow better rust protected the hub.

For terminology reference:
    disc-brake-diagram.jpg

13. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

Normal for a typical car, but then again, the Model S isn't exactly a typical car. I wouldn't fault them for it, but it would be nice if they tried to rust protect it in the future, especially if the wheel design makes it more noticeable than it would be on the average car. Suggest it to Tesla as a future improvement.

14. iadbound

iadbound Member

My bad. Reading too quickly.

15. gnychis

gnychis Member

I've got it and I'm on the West Coast... so I wouldn't isolate it to east coast

16. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

Fairly easy to rectify if you can dismount the wheel and take the time to tape, clean, brush and paint.

2014-04-25 14.03.39.jpg 2014-04-25 16.57.06.jpg

17. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

18. kevincwelch

Both very good points, although you can remove paint on the rotor itself if there is overspray, etc.

19. ThortsMD

ThortsMD Member

I had a moderately bad case of similar rust in Seattle. Tesla folks looked at it, thought maybe a detail place had sprayed some sealant or other stuff on there...They replaced my rotors...all four. No cost. There was an earlier discussion of this topic if you search...Major Rust on Rotors in a few hours ?

I cannot say enough about Tesla's service. Any little thing and they jump right on it and make it right. Amazing.

20. kevincwelch

While I agree that they are great, when I showed it to Tesla service, they basically said it was pretty common and that there was nothing they could do about it...