Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rust

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't come across any posts relating to this so I decided to put it out there to see if other owners are experiencing this too.

Adding I haven't seen any models with this issue anywhere at superchargers, service centers nowhere. It's extremely unsightly and bothersome, well it's rust and it stands out big time maybe because it's back drop is a white MS with silver wheels, but nonetheless an eyesore.

Here's a couple pics with bad lighting and you can see it, but I assure you it's more visible when your next to the actual MS in light since it is inside the wheel. Attached is the driver's side back and front inside wheel pics...

Normal and acceptable or not?

Thanks All

Several other posters have describe these as brake rotors. The are actually the rotor caps and no braking forces are applied to them. They do rust over time and look ugly. I had this issue, which drive me crazy. So when I had my calipers painted red (two-part epoxy) I also had the same treatment done in silver for my rotor hats, photos below.

DSC_5024.jpg

DSC_5033.JPG

Notice in this photo that my shop even painted the rotor edges, also prone to permanent rust.

DSC_5034.JPG

DSC_5035.jpg

@ artsci they look great! It looks like not only were the rotor hub/hats painted silver, but also the ventilation area around the rotor itself where the calipers attach and clamp. Looks like a thorough job. The calipers look thoroughly and meticulously done too! Great match to the MS red!

I will need to have this done after the SC cleans them up or whatever they're going to do when it goes in and have my calipers done in a black too at that time since they seem to be fading from their original color I have noticed.

Where or what type of facility did the work for you if I may ask?

@ artsci they look great! It looks like not only were the rotor hub/hats painted silver, but also the ventilation area around the rotor itself where the calipers attach and clamp. Looks like a thorough job. The calipers look thoroughly and meticulously done too! Great match to the MS red!

I will need to have this done after the SC cleans them up or whatever they're going to do when it goes in and have my calipers done in a black too at that time since they seem to be fading from their original color I have noticed.

Where or what type of facility did the work for you if I may ask?

I had the word done at SDR in Cockesville, MD while I was away on a business trip. They had the car for about 4 days and also fixed two bent 21' wheels. I specified what i wanted done (all epoxy paint, sprayed, clear finish over the color). They did a great job.

- - - Updated - - -

Artsci I am looking to get my calipers painted (And the hats sprayed silver) how did they keep the Tesla logo when painting the calipers

They applied the logos after the G2 red epoxy had completely cured. Then they applied a clear epoxy finish over the logos to seal them in place.

Rotor Hub Rust and discoloration is totally normal in the world of automobiles. If you do a google search on Rotor Hub Rust you will find posts from just about every automobile forum existing on the subject.

Eastwood makes all sorts of very good restoration products and they have a kit for break rotors and rotor hubs.
It comes with the brushes, cleaner and the heat resistant paint. I have used it on all of my restoration projects with great success.
I think they may offer the paint in 3 or more colors with silver being the correct for the Tesla S I suspect.
Eastwood is very helpful and if you give them a call, they can walk you though the process and product selection.
Again do NOT paint the friction surface of your rotors. This is the wide flat round part that the break pads press upon.
DO NOT PAINT THIS. I would also not paint the part of the hub that the wheel mounts upon. Mask that part of the hub off with
tape or just be really careful. IMHO, the best time to do this is when the Model S is brand spanking new. Then you will pretty much
never have the problem. The hubs on my Cobra and AMX are as perfect as the day I painted them with this product.

Here is a link to the kit.... Eastwood Ceramic Brake Caliper Paints - Automotive Paint Colors - Eastwood

Last edited: