Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RV campground charging experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a modified portable EVSE for my Leaf that can do 16A 240V (instead of the stock 12A), as someone modified the pilot signal generator to send a 16A pilot signal instead of 12A. It was mentioned that if you plug it into 120V and then into the Leaf it will only draw 12A. Apparently the Leaf is like the Roadster in that it ignores the pilot signal and draws at the lowest current level when it detects 120V. So, I think we may be out of luck trying to get 24A out of those trailer park TT-30 plugs. As was said, "Look for the 50amp service" so you get 240V that can do 24A/32A/40A depending on how good of circuit breaker they have behind the NEMA14-50.
(Us early Leaf owners are stuck at 16A max, and can look on with envy as Roadsters draw many times the current.)

Last edited:
Yes, I guess the Roadster can do 12A or 16A on 120V, but the Leaf only 12A.

I wish the Leaf was willing to accept the 16A pilot signal on 120V charging.

I think Leaf charging is a bit "dumbed down" to lowest common denominator to try to make sure you never pop a circuit breaker anywhere.

Actually, when I use the spare connector it defaults to 16A instead of 12A. I always have to get back into the car and dial it back after plugging in.
Is this in a specific location, or everywhere? The Tesla Roadster saves the current settings each each charging station based on GPS coordinates, so that could explain why you were getting more than the "works everywhere" 12A setting.

Is this in a specific location, or everywhere? The Tesla Roadster saves the current settings each each charging station based on GPS coordinates, so that could explain why you were getting more than the "works everywhere" 12A setting.

Everywhere it defaults to 16A. I have to manually set it to 12A. Even if I've never before been within 100 km of the site, it defaults to 16A.

Everywhere it defaults to 16A. I have to manually set it to 12A. Even if I've never before been within 100 km of the site, it defaults to 16A.
Hmm, that sounds odd. Maybe it's a Canadian thing? (*)

I looked in my VehicleLogs, and the few times I've used 120V charging it defaulted to 15A. It's definitely 15A in my log and not 16A, although they're practically the same. At the time, I didn't know that the U.S. code doesn't allow pulling 15A from a 15A-rated circuit, so I thought I was fine until I used other electronics on the same circuit and tripped the breaker. Now that I think about it, I did later manually set the current to 12A to avoid problems until I have a chance to install a dedicated NEMA 5-20.

So, on the one hand, it doesn't seem like there's anything "different" about your vehicle in the sense that 12A doesn't actually seem to be the default. On the other hand, I'm surprised Tesla is bold enough to pull any more than 12A without user input.

* by the way, checking the Mobile Connector Users Manual, I see that the Spare Mobile Connector is documented as 120V 15A for North America and 240V 16A for the "Rest of World" - I'm not sure whether Canada fits in North America or not according to Tesla's definition (it does by mine :wink:)

Hmm, that sounds odd. Maybe it's a Canadian thing? (*)

I don't think so. Our electrical standards are pretty much harmonized.

I looked in my VehicleLogs, and the few times I've used 120V charging it defaulted to 15A. It's definitely 15A in my log and not 16A, although they're practically the same. At the time, I didn't know that the U.S. code doesn't allow pulling 15A from a 15A-rated circuit, so I thought I was fine until I used other electronics on the same circuit and tripped the breaker. Now that I think about it, I did later manually set the current to 12A to avoid problems until I have a chance to install a dedicated NEMA 5-20.

You shouldn't use other devices on the same circuit if you're pulling 12A. That's the maximum for a circuit with a 15A breaker.

So, on the one hand, it doesn't seem like there's anything "different" about your vehicle in the sense that 12A doesn't actually seem to be the default. On the other hand, I'm surprised Tesla is bold enough to pull any more than 12A without user input.

Yeah, I was surprised too. Especially since most people don't know what the higher amperage outlets look like... despite the fact that the current electrical code requires them in kitchens. Mind you that's a relatively recent thing and older homes don't have them.

* by the way, checking the Mobile Connector Users Manual, I see that the Spare Mobile Connector is documented as 120V 15A for North America and 240V 16A for the "Rest of World" - I'm not sure whether Canada fits in North America or not according to Tesla's definition (it does by mine :wink:)

I think I misspoke (uh, typed) and should have said 15A.