Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • TMC Podcast #17 is streaming live right now. We are discussing the new EV Tax Credits, as well as other topics. You can watch it and participate in the live chat on YouTube.

RV Trailer with eBikes

We'd really love to take our ebikes with us camping this summer but can't think of a good way to haul them with a RV trailer already attached to the hitch. They are about 50 lbs apiece. Anyone have any good solutions for this type of problem?

For context: We have the Bosal hitch and ebikes already bought, but don't *yet* currently own the bike rack or RV. Will be a fairly "normal" small RV.

glide

Jun 6, 2018
USA
We'd really love to take our ebikes with us camping this summer but can't think of a good way to haul them with a RV trailer already attached to the hitch. They are about 50 lbs apiece. Anyone have any good solutions for this type of problem?

For context: We have the Bosal hitch and ebikes already bought, but don't *yet* currently own the bike rack or RV. Will be a fairly "normal" small RV.
More information is probably needed on the type of RV. That will dictate whether you have sufficient tongue weight available for a rack between the TV and RV, whether you would be best loading them in the RV, or on the back of the RV.

dmurphy

Supporting Member
More information is probably needed on the type of RV. That will dictate whether you have sufficient tongue weight available for a rack between the TV and RV, whether you would be best loading them in the RV, or on the back of the RV.

Bingo! Exactly. I’m going to guess loading in the trailer or via a bumper-style Mount will be appropriate but like you said - need more info.

If it does come to a bumper mount, be careful; many are made of paper mache and not rated for any kind of weight load.

Even trailers that have a utility tray mounted back there......

glide

Jun 6, 2018
USA
You’re right up at the max capacity for tongue weight when the trailer is dry.

It’s also not going to fly with the factory Bosal hitch. Even if you go aftermarket, you’re going to get absolutely killed on range towing a very heavy box-shaped trailer.

Plan on having to recharge every 70 miles depending which battery you have in your X. With a 75 I would just flat out say “forget it”.

If it does come to a bumper mount, be careful; many are made of paper mache and not rated for any kind of weight load.
Even trailers that have a utility tray mounted back there......
100% on that. Back when I had a 24' Jayco (hybrid as ends folded down like popup) pulled with our Ford Expedition ... we had our bikes on a bumper mount (reg pedal bikes for 2 adults and 2 kids). The bumps in the road and bouncing puts a lot of downward force. We bent that bump and were flagged over by people in another lane next to us. Pulled over and put the bikes inside the trailer. Had a friend weld extra steel to the bumper with some cross members and it worked OK. I don't think heavy eBikes would work well on a bumper mount.

Thank you for your advice. I recently bought my first RV. This is not a new RV. I bought on the secondary market.
I am still planning my first trip. But I would like to know what must be in an RV for comfortable travel?
If you are talking general RV advice there are countless articles and YouTube videos to help you out. If you have Tesla specific advice, please let us know.

ngng

Jul 23, 2018
Bay Area
One thing to keep in mind is RV bike racks are designed differently than typical vehicle bike racks. I don't recall the exact reason, but when I was doing research I believe it was because of the extra load a bike sees on the back of an RV. So, you could use a RV bike rack on your X, but not the other way around.

ecarfan

Even if you take the batteries out of the bikes during transport you are still looking at about 90lbs of bikes plus the weight of the rack, which will have to be fairly substantial to support that kind of load. Adding that weight to the tongue area on any RV that an X can pull is going to very likely put you over the hitch rating. Putting a rack plus bikes at the rear of the RV is going to mean having to add more weight at the tongue to compensate.

That said, a few months ago at a campground in Whistler BC I came across a Safari Condo Alto F2114 owner who had two e-bikes on a Thule rack that can handle the weight, using a custom made support for the rack attached on the tongue just above his battery. He was towing with some kind of medium sized ICE SUV, can’t recall the make. That trailer has a dry weight of 2,356lbs/1,069kg. Safari Condo does not provide tongue weights on their Specifications page. Safari Condo also makes other trailer sizes, smaller and larger. They are very lightweight for their size and very high quality.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC