Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD 1st Snow Driving Experience with All Season Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this particular storm is producing wet, sticky snow. I'm not ready to blame Tesla wipers or defrost yet. This gunks up my old ICE cars too.

I have lots of experience driving RWD Teslas (S and 3 are both RWD). Historically just kept the all-seasons on. Hills can be tricky, but doable with some practice, but otherwise much more solid feeling than traditional ICE RWD.

I actually just finished putting winter tires on the S a few hours ago and went out into the storm to test them out. This is my first time ever driving on winter tires. Wow, they were really solid. I made some hard turns and couldn't get the back to slide. Definitely doable with all-seasons.

Reactions: Drax
Any trouble with EAP? I drove home today in steady wet snow (not particularly heavy) and I had no autopilot (front radar was blocked, so said the warning on my screen) and no active cruise either.

Waiting (still waiting) for my Aero winter tire package to arrive but the all weathers are just not good enough for the slippery conditions.

I also found the auto wipers to be terrible. The wipers themselves clear the screen extremely well and while the auto settings seems to work well in the rain, it was useless and very inconsistent this evening in the snow. I had to manually single press to wipe the window every few minutes and then just gave up and put them on the 1st setting to wipe periodically.

I think it would be unwise to use autopilot or cruise control in the snow or even heavy rain.

My RWD 3 with OEM tires handled the storm that we got here in Ohio yesterday really well. Lots of slushy snow and freezing rain, though a lot of it wasn't sticking to the road surface.

I know that snow tires are better, but I think I may skip them this season. I'll take my wifes car to work on days that its bad enough where our kids school is cancelled. I'll probably end up getting a more aggressive tread AS tire after the OEM tires wear down and I think it will do just fine.

Reactions: PA ZU
In the CT the state and localities got taken by surprise yesterday and roads were terrible during the evening commute. It took me 2 hours to go 30 miles, much of it along I-95. My RWD M3 with all-seasons couldn't make it up a hill that I watched a late-model Mustang in front of me get up (with difficulty). I ended up having to turn around and take another route. I have a set of X-Ice winter tires on aero rims that I haven't installed yet because I was hoping Tesla would fix the regen issue with winter tires. Looks like I'll have to mount them and deal with not having regen.

I had the same windshield clearing issues as everyone else. Had to pull over 5 times to clear the wipers. I've been told that professionally installed Glassparency on the windshield may help, so I'm going to look into it. Though it seems like the main issue is ice build-up on the wipers.

Thought I'd share my experience with my model s rwd as I think the issues would be the same. I was driving across an icy short bridge. In prior experience with automatic gas cars, my training is to not accelerate or brake or turn the steering wheel. In this case, lifting off the accelerator of course caused the car to use regen on the rear wheels. I found myself about 20 degrees off center before I got off the bridge and onto firmer footing.
Make sure you set to low regen in snow or icy conditions.

Winter came earlier than I planned for this year, giving me the opportunity to drive on highway ice with the all-season tyres.

Not bueno. At 50-60 mph I was skating. The car did not lose traction completely but I was fortunate to not have cars on either side. During that same drive a truck cut into my lane and I did not have enough slowing available to avoid hitting him. The good news (and why I am here to report) is that there was enough control to steer around the truck.

• Helpful
Reactions: insaneoctane
I live in San Diego, CA so keep the same tires year round. It may be cold temp for most of the country and still be in the 70's here. It may get down into the 50's at night during the colder days in the winter, but back up to 60's or 70's in the day, depending on cloud cover.

That being said, I learned in the past that the tire rubber compound in the "Winter" tire is different than the "Summer" or "All Season" tires. For that reason, if I lived further north or high altitude where it was consistently below 50*f during the winter and had below freezing temps at night, I would NOT go without two sets of tires for each of my vehicles.

The "Winter" tire is not about snow, but about the temperature of the rubber on the tire. A good rule of thumb is to keep a second set of tires for winter, mounted on a heavy duty steel rim. When the forecast is for your first snowstorm to arrive in a few days it is time to swap out the tires. Then when the temps of spring have arrived it is time to swap back to the "Summer" tires.

I really do not understand why ANYONE living in the cold north would endanger themselves, their families, or other drivers, by NOT having two sets of tires for their vehicles. You are not saving yourself any money by having only one set of tires and you are putting yourself and others at risk. The only drawback is that you need to store the extra set of tires and then swap them out twice each year. If you live without a garage with space to store them, then find a tire shop or garage that does that for people, as well as doing the labor of swapping the tires. They do it for a tire rotation.

jmho

Last edited:
I live in San Diego, CA so keep the same tires year round. It may be cold temp for most of the country and still be in the 70's here. It may get down into the 50's at night during the colder days in the winter, but back up to 60's or 70's in the day, depending on cloud cover.

That being said, I learned in the past that the tire rubber compound in the "Winter" tire is different than the "Summer" or "All Season" tires. For that reason, if I lived further north or high altitude where it was consistently below 50*f during the winter and had below freezing temps at night, I would NOT go without two sets of tires for each of my vehicles.

The "Winter" tire is not about snow, but about the temperature of the rubber on the tire. A good rule of thumb is to keep a second set of tires for winter, mounted on a heavy duty steel rim. When the forecast is for your first snowstorm to arrive in a few days it is time to swap out the tires. Then when the temps of spring have arrived it is time to swap back to the "Summer" tires.

I really do not understand why ANYONE living in the cold north would endanger themselves, their families, or other drivers, by NOT having two sets of tires for their vehicles. You are not saving yourself any money by having only one set of tires and you are putting yourself and others at risk. The only drawback is that you need to store the extra set of tires and then swap them out twice each year. If you live without a garage with space to store them, then find a tire shop or garage that does that for people, as well as doing the labor of swapping the tires. They do it for a tire rotation.

jmho

your use case does 100% not require a winter tire. AS tires are rated for well below freezing temperatures.

My 35 mile, 50 minute commute was almost 3 hours in yesterday's snow storm. I have AWD and found the car power is biased to the rear wheels. The rear end would come out to the drivers side while accelerating up hills in the snow. Changed to chill and slip mode and that helped but didn't eliminate the problem. I think I am going to get a set of snow tires.

I usually charge the car for 125 miles of range for my daily 70 mile commute. Fortunately I charged it for 250 miles of range anticinipating additional power drain running the defrosters. I consumed 90 miles of range for the 35 mile ride - so I am a bit concerned that I consumed that much power. Even without the snow I am finding I am getting 83 - 85% actual range as compared to the battery estimate.

The heated windshield wipers are terrible even with the front defroster on high. Ice accumulates in the middle of the windshield wipers. most of the windshield is covered with melting snow making visibility impossible - luckily I could follow cars in front of me otherwise I would have missed my highway exit.

It would be good if there was a way to shut off the windshield wipers. Then if you keep the interior of the car cool the snow will blow right over the car.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-16 at 12.15.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-16 at 12.15.22 PM.png
    842.7 KB · Views: 102
  • Screen Shot 2018-11-16 at 12.13.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-16 at 12.13.31 PM.png
    729 KB · Views: 71
  • Informative
Reactions: electracity
Not all snow is the same, it depends on how well your local crewed salt/plow/sand surfaces, how much traffic, water content of the snow, etc. I grew up in the northwest which means when it snows it's REALLY wet, and there's not enough gear to clear it. Wet packed snow can easily be slicker than ice.

I don’t understand. How were you ever able to drive with snow at 3-5 inches without working wipers?

I've had that happen, where an ice ball starts forming around one or both wipers, raising it off the windshield. Lots of use of anti-freeze washer fluid helps, but whether or not you can see depends on how hard the snow is coming down and how well your defrost is keeping the windshield from fogging. You might find yourself with your head on your dashboard, peering through the 6" hole of visibility that remains.

I've never had snow tires and the last time I went off the road due to snow was 25 years ago. Granted, snow tires make travel better in winter, but are by no means a replacement for careful driving.

I have a P3D+ and still have the Michelin PS4S's on there. I know I shouldn't have but I drove in a snow storm last week, it was about 6" of snow and 25F.

YIKES. PS4S???? I've only tried to drive in the snow on summer tires a couple of times (PS2s, S03s), and unless the surface was billiard table flat, you are going for a very extended slide. They must have made huge improvements in summer tires over the past decade or so, if you're able to negotiate anything remotely close to being described as a hill.

All-seasons are fine-ish, depending on the tire, depending on the terrain.

jmho

I don't disagree with your conclusion, but you've got your numbers way off. I have driven on rock-hard summer tires that just bounce and spin around freezing, but seriously, winter tires for "below 50f?" Obviously it depends on which tires you're talking about, but I ran Xice3 all California-winter on my Golf, and I've not found a single condition (down to say 25f) where I'd rather be on those particular snows than on Michelin PSS. Perhaps if you're comparing a very perfomance-oriented snow or all-season to the most cold-sensitive summer tire known to man you''ve got a point, but real snow tires are like driving on Jell-O in the dry.

Here's a good comparison that validates my impressions, and, at least for the braking test, I'm seeing 26F as the operating temp.

• Informative
Reactions: jgs and Graffi
My 35 mile, 50 minute commute was almost 3 hours in yesterday's snow storm. I have AWD and found the car power is biased to the rear wheels. The rear end would come out to the drivers side while accelerating up hills in the snow. Changed to chill and slip mode and that helped but didn't eliminate the problem. I think I am going to get a set of snow tires.

I usually charge the car for 125 miles of range for my daily 70 mile commute. Fortunately I charged it for 250 miles of range anticinipating additional power drain running the defrosters. I consumed 90 miles of range for the 35 mile ride - so I am a bit concerned that I consumed that much power. Even without the snow I am finding I am getting 83 - 85% actual range as compared to the battery estimate.

The heated windshield wipers are terrible even with the front defroster on high. Ice accumulates in the middle of the windshield wipers. most of the windshield is covered with melting snow making visibility impossible - luckily I could follow cars in front of me otherwise I would have missed my highway exit.

It would be good if there was a way to shut off the windshield wipers. Then if you keep the interior of the car cool the snow will blow right over the car.

Agreed that the defroster is not up to the task. The air that hits the windshield just isn't hot enough even on the Hi setting. I'm not sure what you're talking about when you say "heated windshield wipers." We don't have those.

You can actually turn off the wipers. It's non-intuitive, but if you bring up the wiper "card" on the screen and then hit the oval button it'll turn the wipers completely off.

Reactions: Tron 3
Any trouble with EAP? I drove home today in steady wet snow (not particularly heavy) and I had no autopilot (front radar was blocked, so said the warning on my screen) and no active cruise either.

Waiting (still waiting) for my Aero winter tire package to arrive but the all weathers are just not good enough for the slippery conditions.

I also found the auto wipers to be terrible. The wipers themselves clear the screen extremely well and while the auto settings seems to work well in the rain, it was useless and very inconsistent this evening in the snow. I had to manually single press to wipe the window every few minutes and then just gave up and put them on the 1st setting to wipe periodically.

I lost Autopilot yesterday too due to radar being unavailable. When I got to my destination the whole front nose of my car had a thin sheet of ice on it. I tapped it with my fist and it all fell off.

Wet snow, not freezing rain.

YIKES. PS4S???? I've only tried to drive in the snow on summer tires a couple of times (PS2s, S03s), and unless the surface was billiard table flat, you are going for a very extended slide. They must have made huge improvements in summer tires over the past decade or so, if you're able to negotiate anything remotely close to being described as a hill.

Ha ha I know! It was an experience and I was definitely white-knuckling the steering wheel at some points but it really wasn't the issue I thought it would be. Oh well, snow tires are almost here anyways.

Driving through a couple inches of heavy snow in Boston last night, I definitely felt the RWD wheels slip frequently with the stock tires. Don't remember this much of an issue with my FWD Jetta that I was using Conti DWS06 with. Might have to suck it up and get snow tires.

In the NYC area (including long island) My RWD 3 handled well. I didn't go up any crazy hills or anything. I have gone with good yokahamas (all season) on my previous cars that performed very well in the snow. I will definitely get snow tires and the yokahama shortly.

Agreed that the defroster is not up to the task. The air that hits the windshield just isn't hot enough even on the Hi setting. I'm not sure what you're talking about when you say "heated windshield wipers." We don't have those.

You can actually turn off the wipers. It's non-intuitive, but if you bring up the wiper "card" on the screen and then hit the oval button it'll turn the wipers completely off.

That’s a concern even if the front defroster is set on high but does little to thaw the wipers.

Winter came earlier than I planned for this year, giving me the opportunity to drive on highway ice with the all-season tyres.

Not bueno. At 50-60 mph I was skating. The car did not lose traction completely but I was fortunate to not have cars on either side. During that same drive a truck cut into my lane and I did not have enough slowing available to avoid hitting him. The good news (and why I am here to report) is that there was enough control to steer around the truck.

Wow, I would not have dared to rip through the streets or highways at even 50 mph..lol. Consider me a chicken, but I always see so many accidents on the roads due to people trying to speed all the time only to end up wrapped around a pole, another car or in a ditch.

Driving through a couple inches of heavy snow in Boston last night, I definitely felt the RWD wheels slip frequently with the stock tires. Don't remember this much of an issue with my FWD Jetta that I was using Conti DWS06 with. Might have to suck it up and get snow tires.

There are also differences in Torque that you may have that can contribute to the differences you are experiencing.