Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD 1st Snow Driving Experience with All Season Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got through first Northeast winter storm in RWD with all seasons tires. Snow was coming down heavily at a rate between 3-5 inches. The 3 handled well and I felt in control throughout the 25 miles drive by driving slower than usual. However, the windshield wipers were frozen with ice stuck on them most of the trip even defrost buttons were on 100% of the trip. Also, it couldn’t get on a steep drive way, so will have to get snow tires hoping to get better traction on hill.

Would like to hear others snow driving experience and whether you encounter ed iced stuck on wipers as well.

Just got through first Northeast winter storm in RWD with all seasons tires. Snow was coming down heavily at a rate between 3-5 inches. The 3 handled well and I felt in control throughout the 25 miles drive by driving slower than usual. However, the windshield wipers were frozen with ice stuck on them most of the trip even defrost buttons were on 100% of the trip. Also, it couldn’t get on a steep drive way, so will have to get snow tires hoping to get better traction on hill.

Would like to hear others snow driving experience and whether you encounter ed iced stuck on wipers as well.

Was the front defrost button red or blue? One tap is blue (no heat) and two taps is red (max heat).

Made it through last winter on the 3 RWD All Seasons. Wish I had snow tires on it at the time.

Highly recommend snow tires if your in those regions where people do it. Most don't, but I would think if more would might see better accident stats for all cars. Then again I think too much. Went through some pretty gnarly stuff in the UP of Michigan, but not by choice.

Now have snow tires on both S&3.

Not the snow tire preacher, but I ran across this the other day Winter tires make you safer and may cost less than you think. A different view, but for those on the snow tire fence might provide another tidbit of information.

• Helpful
Reactions: Graffi

I don’t understand. How were you ever able to drive with snow at 3-5 inches without working wipers?

I drove in the muck earlier this afternoon. Route 206 and local back roads. Only saw a few plows going the opposite direction. The weather was a combination of rain/sleet/snow.
My M3 is getting PPF so I had my Subaru. Local roads I couldn’t go above 20 because I was slipping and sliding all over the place. Many accidents. I have all seasons on my Subaru’s. I think this particular type of weather would be challenging to any type of tire whether they’re all seasons or winter (unless they’re studded). Looking forward to the next storm to see how my AWD M3 performs, although I expect it won’t be better or worse than my Subaru in the snow.

All seasons are practically worthless in the heavy snow even with all wheel drive. If you live in Atlanta or somewhere that rarely sees any real snow then they’re probably fine, but If you’re actually a “northerner” snow tires are a must have - especially for rear wheel drive cars.
I've never had snow tires and the last time I went off the road due to snow was 25 years ago. Granted, snow tires make travel better in winter, but are by no means a replacement for careful driving.

Me too. I'd also like to know how the AWD does in snow.

I have a P3D+ and still have the Michelin PS4S's on there. I know I shouldn't have but I drove in a snow storm last week, it was about 6" of snow and 25F. No one could get snow tires in quickly and I had to get to some appointments and work. I blow dried my tires to warm them up slightly, turned on chill mode, took it very easy, and made sure to not hit any potholes or road defects, but I'm pretty sure the AWD is what helped the most. Went up some steep hills that were snow/ice packed. It did really well all things considered, but there was definitely some slippage and corrections occurring. I have some snow tires on order which should be in next week. Those should make a major difference and I get the feeling it will be pretty unstoppable with them on there.

Reactions: bradhs
I drove our AWD with all seasons after our 12" snow fall (to the tire place where they finally had my winter tires that I ordered a month before). The all seasons skipped a little but the nokians are much better.

Unfortunately the tire place put our new snow tires and wheels onto the wrong black model 3 (they had two in that day) so I had to wait for them to fix that one.

I have had no issues with the windshield or wipers but I was already in the habit of preheating the car 30 minutes before I expect to drive it.

• Informative
Reactions: Country Roads
Any trouble with EAP? I drove home today in steady wet snow (not particularly heavy) and I had no autopilot (front radar was blocked, so said the warning on my screen) and no active cruise either.

Waiting (still waiting) for my Aero winter tire package to arrive but the all weathers are just not good enough for the slippery conditions.

I also found the auto wipers to be terrible. The wipers themselves clear the screen extremely well and while the auto settings seems to work well in the rain, it was useless and very inconsistent this evening in the snow. I had to manually single press to wipe the window every few minutes and then just gave up and put them on the 1st setting to wipe periodically.

Thought I'd share my experience with my model s rwd as I think the issues would be the same. I was driving across an icy short bridge. In prior experience with automatic gas cars, my training is to not accelerate or brake or turn the steering wheel. In this case, lifting off the accelerator of course caused the car to use regen on the rear wheels. I found myself about 20 degrees off center before I got off the bridge and onto firmer footing.