TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

RWD and tires

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by David99, Jun 17, 2017.

1. David99

David99 Active Member

I have driven my RWD 85 for 117k miles now and one thing I noticed after so many miles is that the rear wheels definitely wear out faster then the front. Acceleration and deceleration is almost entirely on the rear wheels. I use regen as much as possible and avoid using the brake. While this leads to a conservative drive style it puts the entire load on the back wheels. My front tires usually last more than 50k miles, the rear ones only about 30k.

I assume if I had a dual motor car the tires would last 40k miles and wear out evenly?

2. azred

azred Member

The cure is a lot of hard stops to throw the weight forward. As a secondary benefit, your passengers will love it.

• Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  3. bishoppeak

bishoppeak Member

Tesla traction control is so effective that acceleration and deceleration have little to no effect on tire wear. Your results are most likely due to toe alignment problems on the rear.

• Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  4. eschummer

eschummer Member

Not sure how relevant this is in light of the fact that I do rotate every 5000km but I have a dual motor and so far the tire wear is pretty even..at 25000km still have 6/32 of tread left

5. David99

David99 Active Member

Yes rotating tires is definitely a good idea.

6. McRat

McRat Active Member

Cars go much further if the tires rotate.

Seriously, how the heck does anybody get 30,000 miles out of a set of rear tires on a performance car?

7. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

I got 41,000 miles out of my Primacies. I have a P85. It's very easy.