Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD Appreciation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
RWD here. I am no longer 20 in the hood, so I don’t see myself drag racing through East LA streets...
And I don’t plan to take it offroad to drive through a peet-moss bog in Scottland with the blokes from Top Gear...

I suspect I will get as much offroad use as my brother’s Landrover. Read: 0.

So I didn’t see a point behind Performance or AWD other than to hand my wallet over.

Loving what I do get out of ‘normal’ RWD. Starting to look at ICE vehicles as slugs that just get in my way in traffic... (which makes me glad the M3 shows the local speed limit to remind me that I am not 20 anymore and need to check my foot off that pedal... ;)

RWD here and I test drove the P3D first! For me the performance was awesome, but since I really didn’t need AWD and a big part of what I liked were the suspension upgrades only available with the + pkg, it was a $20k adder. I preferred the white interior, but felt good not paying another + $1500 for it. Ended up going with Black as it was my 4th favorite behind red, white, and blue. I now love my black on black RWD model 3.

Have to say I really enjoy the car. Need range to keep us with the S100D. Made it through one winter with stock tires. This year going winter rubber. Might love it even more. I hope it comes back. Offering more options price wise spreads across different competitors brands and price points.

I drive in some pretty crappy places all year. I find no issue with the RWD, and find it more fun than the S. For a car that I hope they make millions of. Maybe we are now in unicorn status without realizing it. Scratch that. All Tesla's are unicorns. I like it that way.

I took delivery of a MSM RWD TM3 last week. It was actually a demo unit that I had a chance to drive before they sent it up to the delivery center for prep. I refused to test drive the P3D they had that day because ignorance is bliss I guess.

Reading these forums over the last several months had me really concerned about the RWD performance. Many RWD owners here expressed regret that they didn't wait for the D models. In comparison to the 3D and P3D, the RWD has been described as slow, lethargic, disappointing, etc, etc. And that may be true. But I will tell you that from my perspective, the RWD has exceeded all expectations from a performance and value standpoint. It is not a dog. As a daily commuter, it's the right tool for the job for me. It has taken the crown from my previous best daily the 335D (425 ft-lbs for the win).

I'm so happy with what I have in the garage even though there are better models out there. The exhilaration this car provides vs. the price paid blows me away. I'm happy for the folks with AWD and P models. That must.be.awesome! I guess the point of all this rambling is that anyone out there who is on the fence about RWD - don't be! It is a truly fantastic beast. Have a great day!

I just ordered my 3rd RWD Tesla. I took my Model S to VT last year with tons of snow and -20 degrees temps. I literally forgot I had RWD it tracked so amazingly well and expect the 3 will perform similarly.

I got RWD before AWD became available. I cling to thinking I made the right choice because:
#1: Costs less.
#2: More efficient.
#3: A little bit more quiet.
#4: Less stress on the battery.
#5: Less things to go wrong, including latest gen motor (front motors are previous generation.)
#6: Steering feels more "pure". On AWD cars, I feel the front mechanisms messing with my steering.

Add to that, I live in an area where it rarely rains and basically never snows.

...Note, all of the above are rationalizations so I don't have too much AWD / P-AWD envy...

Just put an order in Monday for the LR RWD. White interior wasn't an option, which almost made me pull the trigger for the AWD. But then yesterday they took away the LR RWD, yet added the white interior option. I was able to edit my order for the white interior. Not sure how many LR RWD cars there will be with white interior, but can't be many.

Btw - As a former owner of an F80 BMW M3 (current model), I can tell you that while not as violently fast as the BMW at 4k rpms (I had a manual), the LR RWD I test drove honestly feels just as quick. I'd be willing to bet $$ that 5.1 is very conservative.

Just put an order in Monday for the LR RWD. White interior wasn't an option, which almost made me pull the trigger for the AWD. But then yesterday they took away the LR RWD, yet added the white interior option. I was able to edit my order for the white interior. Not sure how many LR RWD cars there will be with white interior, but can't be many.

Btw - As a former owner of an F80 BMW M3 (current model), I can tell you that while not as violently fast as the BMW at 4k rpms (I had a manual), the LR RWD I test drove honestly feels just as quick. I'd be willing to bet $$ that 5.1 is very conservative.

White interior LR RWD! That will definitely be a unicorn (other than the non-factory interiors), especially if Tesla doesn't reintroduce the LR RWD in the future.

As far as 0-60 times, I find the same time seems faster on EVs than ICE cars. With an EV, the time you get at the drag strip will be the same you can do from a stop light. With an ICE car, the best times are achieved revving the engine (and possibly using launch control) which are stupid to replicate at a stop light.

One thing I wonder about/suspect with the Model 3 Performance+ like many other high limit cars the only place you can really appreciate it is the track without severely endangering the public/yourself/passengers/driving record on public roads.

I sold a Boss 302 Laguna Seca earlier this year. I absolutely loved the car but the limits were so high and the acceleration was so brutal that it was outright silly for public roads, and being such a limited production car I'm not rich enough to put it on track. The truth is my Miata is almost as much fun but far saner to wring out on back roads.

I look at my LR RWD Model 3 much the same way, with the 18s the grip is modest but due to the excellent handling dynamics still sufficient for very enjoyable driving. You aren't struggling to stay out of that go-to-jail realm, never mind the crash result implications. I remember something an instructor/former Indy Lights driver said to us at Sears Point Raceway. He was referring to the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 8 and the Subaru WRX STi, but I think it applies to most modern high powered AWD cars: they grip likely crazy until they don't and then you're in so far over you're head you're really in trouble!

So don't feel inferior about the more accessible limits of you're RWD 3. And if you have a 3DP+ enjoy the heck out of it but don't forget that physics only punishes you more abruptly and harshly as the speeds go up.

I liked what was said about the RWD being even faster than a Testarossa. Didn't realize it and made me smile! :D

(Side note: I got to drive a Model S 75D for an extended period recently and actually preferred the AWD for that car due to its size/weight. Go figure.)

Reactions: insaneoctane
One thing I wonder about/suspect with the Model 3 Performance+ like many other high limit cars the only place you can really appreciate it is the track without severely endangering the public/yourself/passengers/driving record on public roads.

I've owned a RWD Model 3 for 9 months and now have a P3D+ and can say that you are somewhat correct, BUT it is very nice to have the crazy acceleration on the P3D+ for red lights ;) I find myself zooming up to the speed limit in no time and it's always a ton of fun.

But yes, the P3D+ is really meant for the track and that is the main reason why i upgraded. Going to the inaugural Tesla Corsa event tomorrow :)

I do miss the RWD handling and crazy efficiency though, so RWD is definitely still a great car!

LR RWD here. No regrets, it's still a beast and still filthy quick off the line. The P3D is in another class, but this thing is still violently quick, and the way you can throw it around in corner is something else.

I have absolutely zero regrets on buying RWD LR. Anything more was out of my budget, anyway. But I have NEVER - and I've been driving a long time - had a car this fast or this much of a kick in the pants fun.

Yesterday was out first road trip in "Fandango". Before leaving I broke out my little air compressor and brought the tires back up to 45 psi (had decreased during a week of cold rain). Once we got going, I kept up a steady 70 mph using cruise (no EAP) and battery consumption was very good, considering Fort Worth to Abilene is an 1,110 foot increase in grade, with a 6% escarpment climb at Ranger Hill. We left Fort Worth with 310 miles of range, arrived at Cisco Supercharger with 190, topped up to 280, and arrived in Abilene with plenty in the tank if we had any local runs to do other than picking up my BIL. We didn't, so home we went with another stop in Cisco to give my pokey-butt 120 volt outlet at home a bit of a break once we arrived. :)

It's a fantastic road car. It's also an amazing machine just as my daily driver. I couldn't be more pleased, especially after having a beautiful fall sunny day today to finally give Fandango a good hand wash and its first hand applied wax job. Looks better than new, now.

IMG_2528.jpg

So happy with the LR RWD. The thing is plenty quick enough to bring a smile to my face off the line when I feel like it, but most of the time I'd rather drive conservatively and enjoy the quiet and gas savings. It's mostly my wife's daily driver, and she has a lead foot. Despite this, we're averaging 222 wh/mi over 6K miles (mostly 70-80 mph highway miles too!). And the battery still charges to 248 @ 80%.

Reactions: Dana1 and fiatlux
I have a red AWD with white interior. I wanted the performance but got my hand slapped by my partner. Now she is getting a blue LR single motor. I was hoping she would get the white interior but she wants the black to match the aero wheels. The order was originally for an MR. I called Tesla and was able to put in a change order from the midrange to the LR. They said that is available this week only. Based on the numbers I have seen, her car should have about 40 miles longer range or more. The EPA number was 334 and I never see the 310 on mine since I have 19" wheels. Blue was my second color choice so I am excited about that too. Now I just need one more person to use my referral code so I can get the free charger. I was an idiot and put in the charger with the shorter cable. Now I need to install a charger for her.

I took delivery of a MSM RWD TM3 last week. It was actually a demo unit that I had a chance to drive before they sent it up to the delivery center for prep. I refused to test drive the P3D they had that day because ignorance is bliss I guess.

Reading these forums over the last several months had me really concerned about the RWD performance. Many RWD owners here expressed regret that they didn't wait for the D models. In comparison to the 3D and P3D, the RWD has been described as slow, lethargic, disappointing, etc, etc. And that may be true. But I will tell you that from my perspective, the RWD has exceeded all expectations from a performance and value standpoint. It is not a dog. As a daily commuter, it's the right tool for the job for me. It has taken the crown from my previous best daily the 335D (425 ft-lbs for the win).

I'm so happy with what I have in the garage even though there are better models out there. The exhilaration this car provides vs. the price paid blows me away. I'm happy for the folks with AWD and P models. That must.be.awesome! I guess the point of all this rambling is that anyone out there who is on the fence about RWD - don't be! It is a truly fantastic beast. Have a great day!
I knew I was never going to go to a track so a P would be a waste of money and AWD isn’t needed in Texas so the RWD was simply the best choice for me. It all depends on how you’ll use the car. I certainly don’t find it lethargic and I’ve owned a Porsche Panamera .

About a year ago I was really considering a Model S 75 with RWD. After 5000 miles in my AWD Model 3 I took it into to get a few little things adjusted. They gave me the exact car I was going to order. A 2017 Model S 75. Over 5 days I drove it over 1,000 miles and within 5 minutes of getting back in my 3 I had the same grin on my face I had when I first picked up the car. I am happy with my decision to get the AWD Model 3. The AWD part makes a difference to ME.

I want to thank all you M3 LR Rear wheel drive owners for confirming my thoughts on my Black M3. I’m no kid and not going to the track so RWD is what I went with. I’ve had it for almost 3 months and have almost 4,000 miles and this will be my 1st winter. Again I appreciate your positive comments about RWD in snow. M3 is the best car I ever owned or drove.

About a year ago I was really considering a Model S 75 with RWD. After 5000 miles in my AWD Model 3 I took it into to get a few little things adjusted. They gave me the exact car I was going to order. A 2017 Model S 75. Over 5 days I drove it over 1,000 miles and within 5 minutes of getting back in my 3 I had the same grin on my face I had when I first picked up the car. I am happy with my decision to get the AWD Model 3. The AWD part makes a difference to ME.

You posted this in the wrong thread.

I might be the only person in this forum that doesn't care that much about car performance (nothing will ever feel as fast as my FJ-09, to me) and just wants range. I have dreamed about an EV that could take me anywhere in the Rockies for years, but I always had to leave my Leaf behind when I went to the mountains.

With the 'off menu' LR RWD I just ordered, I have the range to go deep into the Saguache, or Bisti, or the Gila, even when it's freezing cold. Charge will never hold me back from taking this car where I want it to go - even with years of battery degradation and 0 degree temperatures, I should still have more than 200 miles range when driven conservatively.

I would absolutely have paid MORE for a car that could get another 20-30 miles of range, so to have it cost LESS was obvious for me.

Reactions: Carotene