Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD Appreciation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of a MSM RWD TM3 last week. It was actually a demo unit that I had a chance to drive before they sent it up to the delivery center for prep. I refused to test drive the P3D they had that day because ignorance is bliss I guess.

Reading these forums over the last several months had me really concerned about the RWD performance. Many RWD owners here expressed regret that they didn't wait for the D models. In comparison to the 3D and P3D, the RWD has been described as slow, lethargic, disappointing, etc, etc. And that may be true. But I will tell you that from my perspective, the RWD has exceeded all expectations from a performance and value standpoint. It is not a dog. As a daily commuter, it's the right tool for the job for me. It has taken the crown from my previous best daily the 335D (425 ft-lbs for the win).

I'm so happy with what I have in the garage even though there are better models out there. The exhilaration this car provides vs. the price paid blows me away. I'm happy for the folks with AWD and P models. That must.be.awesome! I guess the point of all this rambling is that anyone out there who is on the fence about RWD - don't be! It is a truly fantastic beast. Have a great day!

It’s funny to see this very one-sided debate re Teslas. When I had Porsches, many owners preferred the RWD models, probably for their unique handling characteristics — even if 4WD was much better on slippery surfaces.

Due to the low center of gravity and 50-50 weight distribution, I think my RWD S and 3 are far superior to my RWD Porsches, yet reading this board one might get the impression 4WD is a no brainer for Teslas. Living in the desert, the only advantage I see is resale value, although I have no idea if the increased purchase price would be fully recovered when reselling.

Last edited:
I’m glad to hear people are happy with the RWD model. I just ordered one Monday. I anguished over RWD vs AWD. I live in central Ohio. So I will be seeing snow. But I figured the weight distribution, and the superior traction control would do the job. AWD was just a bit too much for me to spend at the moment. Plus, I’m looking to see how the Model Y pans out. If it’s as good or better than the model 3, I might splurge there. But I’ll know in advance if it’s really worth the extra $$ in my area.

Only in the land of Teslas will you ever find people describing 0-60 in 5 seconds as inadequate. I love my RWD, it has better efficiency than the AWD trims. Main reason I wish I had waited for dual motors is for the white interiors. Tesla launched dual motors like a week after I received delivery.

But for the money, RWD is a very good value for a long range EV that has great handling and superb instant torque.

There's no doubt that the P3D is a monster acceleration machine. Same with the PS models. I drove in a P85D Model S loaner and ludicrous mode was just that...ludicrous. Nearly unusable for daily driving. But my god was it fun when the time was right.

I struggled between RWD and AWD on my Model 3 and eventually went RWD simply because I don't live in a snowy or rainy environment (bay area) and never drive to the snow. I don't regret it at all. The acceleration is plenty usable for freeway driving and is fast enough to race V8 ICE cars. I enjoy knowing I'm getting the best efficiency out of the chassis and might even get a little more life out of the tires.

Reactions: chibi_kurochan
Only in the land of Teslas will you ever find people describing 0-60 in 5 seconds as inadequate. I love my RWD, it has better efficiency than the AWD trims. Main reason I wish I had waited for dual motors is for the white interiors. Tesla launched dual motors like a week after I received delivery.

But for the money, RWD is a very good value for a long range EV that has great handling and superb instant torque.

I am going to show my age a bit... but back in the days a lust-oups-i-wetted-my-pants Ferrari Testarossa was a 5.3 car. A 25th anniversary Lamborghini Countach was good for 4.7...

So yeah... having a car that does 0-60 close/better then my childhood supercars is great !

0-60 in 5.1!!! The RWD Tesla is incredibly quick, whether or not the claims of longer range are true.

Reading the forum you'd get the idea that the car only had two wheels or something. Unless you plan on regularly driving in the snow/ice or at the track I can't imagine it'd make much difference.

Reactions: voltage
It’s funny to see this very one-sided debate re Teslas. When I had Porsches, many owners preferred the RWD models, probably for their unique handling characteristics — even if 4WD was much better on slippery surfaces.

That comparison doesn't really work, because there are ICE cars that have basically the same engine but either RWD or AWD (or even FWD in some cases). The power doesn't change, only how it's distributed does - therefore the basic performance isn't that different.

With the Model 3 (or other Teslas) whether it being RWD or AWD directly impacts the power available, because it's two motors Vs one.

Regardless, the OP is absolutely correct that RWD Teslas are absolutely fantastic - they're quicker and more fun than most cars on the road and certainly not lethargic at all. Not only that, you can get the same trim and finish you can get on the AWD models (something that's not always possible in the ICE world).

Reactions: voltage
I was all over the map. From AWD to RWD to P-AWD.

I live in snow country and really thought I better get AWD. I had watched every model 3 RWD in the snow on YouTube that I could find. I think I could have got away with it. And got it just as soon as or sooner than the P-AWD.

The primary reason I got a P3D- was for the free super charging deal and I was WAY to distracted to get any work done while waiting for an AWD. So to save my job I bought a P3D-. Got it in 2 weeks. Now I might lose my job "researching" accessories, mats, winter tires, charging setups etc. ugh. Almost done !!

RWD was a bargain.